“Good for what I needed”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Picayune
Alabama
“Good for what I needed”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We were looking for a way to shorten a long trip and decided if we could find a place about halfway thru that wasn't too expensive we would leave an afternoon early so that we will be a little more rested when we arrived at our final destination the next day. It might have been because it was in Mississippi or because of the city but the Econo Lodge in Picayune was cheaper than any of the city's past it on our journey. We didn't have long to plan or check but in my quick survey I liked the price but not the reviews but decided that more often than not people only take the time to post bad experiences than good and since at least one good review existed and we really wanted to start early we took the chance. It was easy to find right off the interstate tho the driveway is stuck beside a gas station still well marked. The check in was easy which was good because we were tired, I had reserved it thru Expedia and when first asked how I wanted to pay I said that I should have already been paid and when he looked he said 'Oh yes I see Expedia' He had me sign a reciept that I noticed was $10 less than I had agreed to but I figured the tax or other things would be added by check out to change the amount. We were told of the breakfast and check out hours and given directions to our room - We thought it was odd we were sent to the back of the building when there appeared to be rooms or parking spaces empty in the front but when we arrived in the rear we saw that everyone seemed to be booked back there. Our room was a little hard to spot in the dark since the numbers were not very big but there was a space in front of our room which made unloading a breeze. The room was a standard room no big frills but it did have a fridge and microwave which a room we had recently paid more for did not have these. The room did seem to have a little bit of maybe a smokey smell tho I had requested a non smoking but it wasn't noticeable when we turned the fan on. The carpet and the chair did show some wear but nothing that bothered us. We weren't looking for a place to entertain guests just a place to spend the night and rest up for the remainder of our trip. The pillows did ressemble little marshmallows and since we were trying to travel light we didn't pack our pillows as usual, but eventho they were small both the pillows and bed was very comfortable. We also found a good selection of toiletry samples and a note saying if we had forgotten anything to please check with the desk for other items. We were comfortable for the night and felt safe and hated that we had to leave so early and not enjoy the facilicty. Also we were planning to leave before the breakfast was going to be served. The next morning we loaded up and went to check out and discovered that they had already begun to set out breakfast items so while the check out was being handled we grabbed some for the road. The morning clerk was not sure why the night clerk had not had me sign a sign in sheet and only a reciept but he ran one and then had me sign a check out one, again the lower price was listed but not having the time to get in to a big discussion I decided to check to make sure I did not have a double deduction to my account when I got home (I have seen that the higher of the two prices was deducted and it was still a good deal but I may check farther to see if I am due a discount but that is with Expedia not the hotel) - everything was handled very quickly that morning. And we were off. Now while this hotel was not the grand hotel it also didn't cost me like one either. We needed a room for the night - just to sleep and we didn't want to spend a lot and we found that. There seemed to be many others staying there as well and if we had had more time to spend it would have been fine, we didn't expect brand new carpet for the price that we paid but what we have seen the same furnishings at higher prices as well. If we are ever needing lodging near that area again we will be happy to stay there again - as far as personel both gentleman were not very chatty but they were polite and efficent, you never know what kind of day they might have been thru and why they are in a bad mood but we didn't experience that on our visit. I would reccomend a stay here if this fits your needs.

Room Tip: I am not sure why most of the occupied rooms were on the back but it could be because there was a la...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Our 1st room had a non flushing toilet. It had been rigged with a bread tie, which had slipped. While we waited for the requested repair, my husband repaired the previous patch job so we could use the restroom. Eventually, we were given a different room. When we turned back my daughter's covers, a centipede crawled out. The next morning, the computer malfunctioned as we were trying to check out. During the 30 minute wait for our receipt, we asked if the toilet from the first room had been repaired. The clerk told us that the manager looked at it and said the bread tie (that my husband fixed with MY tweezers) job was holding fine and that it did not need fixing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank todarajola
econolodgepicayunems, Webmaster at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge, MS during your past stay.

We appreciate your review and also take your observations seriously.

We have investigated the same and are sorry for such an unlikely incidence.

Anyhow, we have taken strict steps and an effective check system to ensure that a similar experience never happens to anyone.

We take our guest reviews in a constructive manner so as to improve our services.

Please reconsider and choose us for another stay, and experience the change.

Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Picayune hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I wish i would have come on here and read the reviews before i stayed.. this was a horrible experience. The rooms were not clean and the staff was not helpful. I was also charged $30 for a lamp.. REALLY?! ... like i want your piece of crap? It took me a couple of phone calls to even get a hold of a manager to talk to about the charge. I did not take their ugly lamp. The shampoo bottles & soap were already used by a previous guest. .. My advice would be the hotel right next door..

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Will082
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay in our area.

We have noted your review with observations which we take seriously towards further improvement. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you howsoever.

Please note that based on your review we have taken the following steps.

Housekeeping staff received extra training to ensure the highest degree of cleanliness.

They have been instructed to ensure the best hygiene and proper amenities before checking in a new guest to the room.

Front office staff has received extra training as to their responsibility to ensure that all guest requests are handled in the best possible manner and also to maintain an enduring hospitality.

Please consider once again choose to stay at our hotel and experience the difference.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 9 May 2010

The hotel rooms were not up to par at all, everything is outdated, they need to renovate pronto! also, when setting the alarm to get us up for the road a bunch of cockroaches crawled out, it scared the crap out of me and we LEFT!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christy10_10
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge, MS during your last stay.

We have referred your review and take your observations seriously.

We shall take it wholeheartedly for improvement.

We have carefully checked the points you have mentioned particularly the roaches for which we have taken pest control measures for the entire property.

Please note that we have checked and improved upon all the observations and you can be assured of a better stay next time.

Please do visit us and we shall be more than happy to serve you.

atlanta
Reviewed 4 September 2007

Staff was super nice, but rooms were so so. I think the hotel needs an overhaul. From what we found out,Katrina victims lived in the rooms for over a year. Due to this, the rooms were a little worn out. The bathrooms had a musty odor to them. Again, the staff was very nice, but the rooms were not up to par.

• Liked — Breakfast was OK
  • Disliked — Smelly Bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge.

Thank you again for sparing your time to put a review with straight observations which will definitely help us to improve.

We are glad that you like the hospitality of our staff and appreciating them.

We are continuously improving our rooms, amenities and other points related to cleanliness and other points mentioned by you.

We would love to see you again at our hotel and we will definitely give you a nice experience.

Hotel Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picayune
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Picayune
#3 of 4 in Picayune
Heritage Inn Picayune
Heritage Inn Picayune
#2 of 2 in Picayune

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!