“Wonderful time”
Review of BernheimerHouse

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Gibson
BernheimerHouse
Ranked #2 of 3 Port Gibson B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“Wonderful time”
Reviewed 25 January 2009

The manager and her two sons gave us a wonderful and friendly B&B experience in a great, historic house.

The food was excellent, and our hosts were very flexible regarding our eating preferences. We really had the feeling that we were welcomed into their home. Downtown Port Gibson has seen better days, but the main street offers a beautiful walk past many fine houses and mansions. This is a quiet, pretty place to stop between Vicksburg or Jackson and Natchez via the Natchez Trace Trail, which itself has numerous sights along its route.

We would definitely return to the Bernheimer House if we were to come back to this area.

• Liked — Our hosts; the food
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank maryandharry

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 March 2007

Open the door to Adventure
Then walk right through that door.
You never know what awaits you
until your feet hit the floor.

People just waiting to greet you,
may sing you a homemade song,
like, “Grandma was a cornbread cookin’ queen”
then serve you the best fried chicken
your mouth has ever seen.

Blue skies blown by spring breeze
and white clouds hanging out above the trees
become a picture in your mind. On the back of a bike
You’ve treasures to find; deer and butterfly,
a lunar moth and a raven’s cry.

You might stay home and watch this on TV,
but you can’t smell the fragrance of Sweet Olive trees
as you bike to the door of the Bernhiemer B&B,
or feel the sun on your back, or be showered by leaves
that fall like confetti until you think you’ll sneeze.

You can get so hungry from all that fresh air
that you think you could swallow a grizzly bear.
At the end of the ride, you dive into your pack
to snatch out turkey jerky and cheesy mac.
As you sit by the fire, sipping coffee and tea,
don’t bee offended by the bumblebees.

Later when the stars begin their evening show,
your eyes droop while the embers glow.
Stories are being made that you’ll repeat when you grow old.
You nod and you yawn—to the sleeping bag you go.

The door to Adventure is zipped. You fall asleep with the moon on your eyes.
Your boots stand guard outside the tent, anxious for morning light.

I hope the door to adventure takes you to the the Berheimer. It was a welcoming respite on our bike tour down the Natchez Trace.
Susan Owings
March 2007

• Liked — It was a well tended B&B with excellent service and food/friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — The town might realize its potential for tourism. The B% B was the most interesting tourist attraction.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 August 2005

I am a scholar and was traveling through the south, working on a book project. I arrived in Port Gibson tired and needing a night's rest and time to work to prepare for my day in the public library the following day. Luckily, one of the locals directed me to this beautiful house with its gracious hosts. It was pouring rain, so Loren met me at the car with an umbrella and helped get all my bags safely inside.

They offered to fix dinner for me since the weather was terrible and I looked so worn out. The pasta was amazing and the conversation over dinner (I think they could tell I was starved for conversation) was relaxing. I was able to get some real work done with the fine internet connection in the room, and the sleep was restful thanks to the fine bedding.

Breakfast was the old homestyle breakfasts I remember as a kid with flair. And my hosts did eveything thing possible to get me off in the right direction in the morning. I've never been so grateful. Highly recommended for travelers. I'd come back in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 July 2005

Four business associates and I recently stayed for four nights at the Bernheimer House in Port Gibson, MS. For a group whose job it is to be critical (we are auditors), I can say that we were all well satisfied with the accommodations and service.

The rooms were comfortable and nicely appointed with antiques, comfortable beds, wireless high speed internet, and direct dish television. Breakfast was a feast with fresh fruit, french toast, yogurt parfait, eggs, bacon, sausage and toast, served at exactly the time we requested. For a little extra, they will provide an evening meal as well (true dining opportunities are rare in Port Gibson).

The hosts, Loren and Nancy Ouert (pronounced ORT) were very personable and accommodating, going to the trouble to appoint a fifth room for our large party (and even hooked up an additional direct TV connection for us). They even participated in a practical joke on a co-worker! You won't find better hosts for a B&B. Get Loren to tell you about his Civil War ancestors!

We highly recommend the Bernheimer House and its hosts. Your stay there will make you feel as if it is your home away from home!

3 Thank csbutton

Been to BernheimerHouse? Share your experiences!