“Great Stay; Great Service!”

Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
St. Louis
“Great Stay; Great Service!”
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Stayed 1 night on the way to Gulf Shores – arrived early evening - left late morning. Every year we stay in Jackson; this was our first time at the Hyatt. We had 2 rooms (2 Teenagers + 2 kids under 10). We got the each room for $98/night. The hotel is obviously new (and thus clean). 24hr grab and go food bar, 24 hr Starbucks, small but useable pool the kids enjoyed, nice lobby area, free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi (I am sitting in the lobby as I type). The rooms are very comfortable (as others have stated)and much larger than expected - the 42in HDTV and comfy bed matched my set-up at home. Technically, with 2 queen beds, you could sleep small kids, parents, and at least one teenager on the L-shaped couch.

All that said – the best part of the stay – the customer service. From the two young women with constant sweet smiles and laughter to the friendly gentlemen in the morning – I was just impressed with their focus on us – during check in/out, time to explain the hotels offerings – how to get the most of our stay, where to get a bite to eat, the kindness to the kids, and their overall willingness to accommodate us. I loved the fact that they made eye contact at all times and stopped what they were doing to focus attention on us with each engagement. Being raised in the South and moving away 20 years ago, this service was quintessential Southern Hospitality that I sorely miss!!!

Thanks for a great stay ---- well worth $.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Washington
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I got a great deal on the Hyatt website by paying for a nonrefundable room. The Hyatt Place has a sleek, modern look inside and out but offers minimal services (compared to regular Hyatts) to keep prices low. Everything looks great because the hotel is so new, but the staff, though nice, is still in the process of learning all the hotel procedures. The room has a large flat screen tv that swivels so that you can watch tv from either the bed or the sofa. Plus, the wifi is very reliable. The bathroom is also sleek, and though the bathroom itself is a bit cramped, the shower area is quite spacious.

This hotel is the closest hotel to the Renaissance at Colony Park center, so I was able to walk directly to great dining and shopping options in just a few minutes. The free continental breakfast is very basic, but you can buy additional food items too. The lobby has computers and a printer for guest use. The hotel also has a gym and indoor pool, but I didn't take advantage of those.

I love the design concept of the Hyatt Place and will definitely seek out a Hyatt Place again in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I are local to the area and decided to stay at the Hyatt because we were having some exterminating done at our home and wanted to get a good night's sleep since I work an overnight job. We decided upon the Hyatt because we'd recently stayed at a Hyatt Place in Oklahoma City in April. We praised OKC for having the best service we've ever experienced in a hotel. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the Jackson/Ridgeland location. The hotel stay was pleasant (despite noise from I-55), the rooms were clean and everything in the room itself was great. The problem was with the check-in and check-out. I think the agents working the counter are way too young to handle their positions. We watched a couple leave and go next door to the Embassy because the young agent wasn't very confident in providing answers to their questions. We also experienced the same amount of uncertainty as we checked into the hotel. However, the worst part of the stay was our exit. My wife was already gone back to our home and I was trying to sleep (again, I work overnight and arrived to the hotel @ 8 AM). The hotel cleaning manager knocked on my door at 12 PM and instructed me that I had to leave or be charged. I informed her that my checkout time was 2 PM because I registered online for the Hyatt Club and the check-in agent confirmed a 2 PM checkout. She stated there was no 2 PM checkout and that I would be charged if I didn't leave. Even though I knew I was right and the morning desk attendant confirmed it, I chose to just leave since I knew I wouldn't be able to enjoy the last two hours of my stay given my current level of frustration. I was very disappointed that this lady didn't know the rules of her hotel and wasn't aware of 2 PM checkout times for certain club level members. It defeats the purpose of being a member of any type of VIP service if you're treated like a drifter instead of a valued customer. My wife and had passed on several cheaper hotels because we were going with what we thought was the best. The desk attendant did not do anything to lower my level of frustration as she stumbled through her words in an attempt to apologize. She was nice, but as unhelpful as could be. She wasn't even (or didn't try) to contact the lady to let her know she was wrong in the situation. This will way heavily in me and my wife not only continuing our new membership with Hyatt, but if we decide to recommend any of our relatives to say there during our 4th of July family reunion.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
MS
Reviewed 9 April 2009

This was my first experience with this hotel back in January. It was awesome! Very up-to-date tech. Very clean and the decor was worth of just a lobby visit. The rooms are mini suites. Has everything! There's not just a little table and extra chair. The couch is a sectional even has a huge ottoman/cocktail table. Huge flat panel that swerves for viewing from the bed or lounge area. The bathroom was kinda small... but hey there's really only 2 things you need to do in the bathroom, LOL... The sink is separate... did I mention the granite! This hotel is awesome. The bed... OMG! felt like what sleeping in heaven would be.... You practically melt in them. Overall this is a great place to stay if you just want to getaway for a night... with your significant other. Great location for shopping. Barnes and Noble is walking distance. Downside... it's by I-55... however... you can't hear the traffic. Worth every penny. Would recommend to friend, family, neighbor, and the person who I don't like. LOL

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2009

New hotel in a growing part of Jackson. Nicely located near new shopping and restaurant area called Renaissance Center within walking distance. Hotel is modern and rooms are well designed. This hotel is definitely designed with the business traveler in mind. Not fancy.
Room is nicely designed with a sitting area with a fridge and mini bar. Room and bed were very comfortable. I checked in on a Sunday evening for 3 nights. On the first night there was a large party going on in the room next door. I did call the front desk and they were very polite and the noise did quiet down. I requested a 6:30 wake up call on my second morning and I did not receive it. I did receive a wake up call as requested on my third morning. The hotel does not have vending machines but does have a variety of food and drink items available for purchase at the front desk. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a bottle of water on my last night as they were all out.
Breakfast was very basic and a little bland( toast/ english muffins, bagels; yogurt selection; fresh fruit; cereal) although hot food items were available for purchase.
Note: The room is equipped with a tiled shower, but no bath tub. This was not an issue for me but one of my colleagues commented that he would have liked to have had a tub. Also, the hotel lobby has a strong "vanilla" air fresherner smell. I did not notice it in the room but it is almost overwhelming when you walk into the hotel itself. Glad I don't deal with allergy issues.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Newt0Mexic0
Arkansas
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Stayed at this property for a wedding in Jackson. I have stayed at several Hyatt Place properties and this is the first one that is newly built. (All other Hyatt Place properties have been converted from AmeriSuites) The property is beautiful and maintains the Hyatt Place standard. The room was a nice size and very clean.

The hotel is located in a newly developed area with a brand new shopping area and office buildings. The parking is free as well as the wireless internet. This property is great for business or leisure travelers.

I only had one issue with the property. The walls were kind of thin. I could hear the person next door coughing and talking. They weren't extremely loud so it didn't bother me too bad. Maybe it was just my room. I would try this property again on a return stay. Maybe I will get a room that is built a little better. Great hotel for the price!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 February 2009

This hotel new and very nice. Hotel is equivilant of a Hilton Garden Inn. The room was a suite with huge TV and nice bathroom. All the amenities were very nice and it was very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The onsite gym equipment has the TV built into the machine for your viewing pleasure. There is a starbucks on sight, but you dont need it in the morning as the cold breakfast and coffee are free. They also have the option to order food 24 hours a day (for a fee). Nice place - probably the nicest for the price. Great location - food and shoppping in walking distance.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgeland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Jackson - North/Ridgeland
SpringHill Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
Home2 Suites by Hilton Jackson/Ridgeland
TownePlace Suites Jackson Ridgeland/The Township at Colony Park
Drury Inn & Suites Jackson Ridgeland
Hilton Garden Inn Jackson/Madison

Been to Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland? Share your experiences!