“Sorprising Mexican style”

Ranked #12 of 154 Restaurants in Ridgeland
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Description: From the fresh-squeezed limejuice and organic agave nectar in every margarita to the made-from-scratch corn and flour tortillas, Sombra focuses on the fresh, flavorful tastes that are at the core of our authentic food and drink. Whether it is a family reunion or a handmade cocktail with a friend at our vibrant bar, Sombra will serve your every need. In addition to the restaurant itself, Sombra offers a private room for up to 40 guests, two outdoor patios and take-out services. If you prefer to host your event at your venue, we'll bring the fiesta to you! Delivery and full-service catering options are available for groups of any size. Our Sales Manager will work with you to create a customized menu within your budget parameters, as well as assistance with rentals and execution of your event. Locally-owned by the same folks that brought you Amerigo and Char, Sombra Mexican Kitchen invites you to experience our passion for the flavor of old and new Mexico!
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I consider myself a connoisseur of Mexican food, and I don't like going to Mexican restaurants while traveling in the United States. So I was surprised to find real Mexican food, not your typical TexMex type (the menu also includes "Jarritos" a traditional Mexican softdrink). What surprime the most was the good taste of the food, as it resembles real Mexican flavors. Prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is good.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I am a regular at this restaurant every week and we absolutely love it. We usually sit on the back patio or at the bar. They have half price beer and margaritas until 6 all week that we love to take advantage off. I have had everything on the menu pretty much and it has all been delish, fresh, and quality food. No fast food mexican here - The cheese dip is not a soupy white dip like at a fast food mexican restaurant - its a thick creamy cheese with a few tomatoes and jalopenos, you can also get ground beef added to it which is awesome! The 5 layer dip is also a great appetizer- shredded chicken, beans, guac, sour cream, fresh sliced jalopenos, cheeses and more. The taco salad is also very good - and huge! If you want something a little more authentic go for the tamales! I have seen some reviews that say this place is "pricey" but this is NOT your typical 20 minute in and out mexican fast food place. This place uses fresh ingredients and quality ingredients. Also the food is much more sophisticated then a "Speedy Gonzales" platter. You get what you pay for.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My average rating was based on a recent visit. We go there often to meet friends.Last year I had some concerns. This year seems to be improved.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

My wife and I went with our son and grandson to eat at this restaurant a few nights ago. The decor is nice, and the restaurant and bathrooms seem clean. The food is not your typical Tex/Mex fare, so don't go there expecting to find beef tacos, refried beans and rice, etc. My son ordered steak fajita, and my wife and I split a black bean tamale and vegetable quesadilla. He also ordered a kid's meal for the grandson and a separate black bean tamale meal for his wife. With drinks and tip, the total came to nearly $100. I will say that they're not stingy with the set up (chips and salsa), and the food was tasty. This wasn't the best experience we've had in a Mexican restaurant, but I don't regret the visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Went with a large private group. Instead of taking our orders separately he lumped all 40 together and had to split all checks at the end. It took an hour to get our checks. Aside from that very over priced and not worth it.

1  Thank LIsa B

Been to Sombra Mexican Kitchen? Share your experiences!