“Decent hotel”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
Missouri
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed at this propery with my wife and toddler. The property was undergoing renovations; however, this did not detract from the stay. The staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. The first room we checked into had a few pet hairs. We were moved across the hall. For some reason, however, the front desk did not update their computer system to reflect our move to a new room. Thus, when we attempted to access the wireless internet and use the phone, we could not. The front desk finally remedied the problem. The second room we moved into had a cord missing from the phone - which was odd. A housekeeping attendant brought us a new cord and the phone worked fine. I'm not sure why the staff never noticed this beforehand. The room was nice. I wouldn't recommend a one-bedroom for anyone traveling with 3 or more people. It is just too small. Two adults in a one-bedroom suite is about all the guests the room can accomodate without feeling a little tight. The breakfast seating area was large and the breakfast options decent. The ramp that leads to the back door was poorly designed; it's too narrow and has hard to navigate turns.

Overall, the property is nothing to brag about but it is better than average

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Buchanan, Michigan
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I've read previous reviews and I'm so glad I didn't have any of those issues! Our room was very nice and well kept. The only thing was, our fridge didn't work very well. Nothing would freeze in the freezer.
This hotel was in a great location to restaurants and shopping centres. But one great thing was, Mon-Thurs you don't really have to go anywhere! Breakfast and dinner are included! And everything was very delicious. **SHOUT OUT TO MS. GIGI...she was an AMAZING lady who made us feel at home. I saw several ppl going to hug her upon check out!
The front desk staff was very nice and helpfu. The only bad things I can really say about this place are: 1. Our room smelled like dog food. We sprayed, but each time we left the room closed up, the smell returned. 2. The housekeeper was very unorganized. Each day something strange happened. Day one, she left all the dirty towels sitting on top of the desk. Day two she left all of her cleaners on the bathroom counter. Both days, hair was left all over the towels...very off putting for a germophobe such as myself.
ALL IN ALL...I really enjoyed my stay here. I would definitely stay here again when in the area!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Monroe, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have always been pleased with the Homewood Suites, but I should have known things would not be best when I called the day before to upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite and the guy who answered told me (without his even checking) there were no 2 bedroom suites, only to call back later and they told me there was one.

I wanted a non-smoking room. As soon as I opened the door, it smelled of smoke. Under the sofa sleeper, there was an opened used condom package. The coffee maker had coffee and the grounds left in it.

We had met my college daughter for an overnight stay. She was looking forward to a home cooked meal. In the kitchen, and I use that term loosely, there was only 1 frying pan, no sauce pans, no sharp knives, no pircher. There was no dishwashing liquid. I ended up going out and buying 2 sauce pans, dishwashing liquid, Febreeze to spray the room. The only reason I didn't have to buy other things was because I had the foresight to take them with me.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
VictoriaHopkins853, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson Ridgeland, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the amount of cooking utensils in your room and apologize for this experience. We work hard to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our guests and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working diligently to ensure that all rooms are properly equipped with all brand standard approved utensils to prevent this from happening in the future. Please also accept our apology for the reservation issues you experienced. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again.
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Because of work in the area, I have stayed there several weeks. The towels I have gotten are dirty and smell. If it gets wet the smell is even worse and confirms they have not been laundered.
Lipstick that had not been through a laundry confirmed it. I now bring my own towels when I stay. My stays have been on the 2nd floor north side so it may be housekeeping for that area only. The remodeled rooms are otherwise clean.

While staying one week, I asked the lady at the front desk to make my reservation for the next 3 weeks. She admitted she was having problems but she would make them and send an email. I was still at the hotel and she did not bother to tell me she didn't make them. I found out I didn't have a reservation when I tried to check in on line.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of the linens in your room and apologize for this experience. We work hard to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our guests and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. Please also accept our apology for the reservation issues you experienced. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again.
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We had issues after checking in. I didn't realize that I would be immediately charged $20/night for incidentals (of course, this comes off later on). Then I realized I was double charged which caused an issue. The manager had to call my bank, and then I had to call my bank. I was without that money until the next morning when I had to call the bank for a second time. Basically, it just caused a headache as soon as we arrived and I was very annoyed.
Aside from that, the rest of our stay was nice. The suite was very comfortable for our 3-night stay. We loved having the sitting area with the kitchen, even though we didn't use the dishwasher, stove or microwave for anything. It was still nice to have just in case. And the full-size fridge with freezer was very nice.
Renovations were going on down the hall but it wasn't really any bother to us while we were in our rooms. I believe the renovations only go on during the week days and during business hours. I'm not sure if our room was newly renovated or not, although I thought that maybe it was.
We had an issue with our door. We had to really push it hard to get it to close all the way, and pull really hard to get it to open. I kept joking that I would probably end up falling backwards over the sofa one day from having to pull so hard to open the door. I doubt all doors are like this... but I'm thinking the renovated our room and maybe the paint or something is causing the issue.
The hotel was in a great location. There was a lot around which was great. The area was also very safe.
We loved the complimentary breakfast every morning, but we especially loved the evening meals with beer/wine. I couldn't eat meals every night because I don't eat beef or pork, but I was able to enjoy one good meal there. Otherwise, it was nice getting a salad and beer/wine. We LOVED Gigi. She was very helpful with telling us about Canton and other area's she recommended. Her husband was also helpful with advice on places to go. She is the sweetest woman ever and I know we'll both miss her.
We may have had issues in the beginning, but we would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel. It was very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
VictoriaHopkins853, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson Ridgeland, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience you experience during your visit. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We are very happy that you enjoyed the complimentary services and wonderful staff. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future if your travels bring you back to the area.
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed there two years ago an it was great. Now the place is getting worn down. The pool had to be closed for a couple of days, stains on the carpets an hallways, leaking faucets, broken dishwasher. While I wa there they started renovating half the hotel and were bringing in all new furniture and appliances. A big hit is the Monday thru Thursday dinner. It's nothing luxurious but it's a warm meal, with salad bar and beer/ wine. Ms. GiGi that prepares the food is so awesome and really makes you feel welcome every night.

• Stayed August 2012
VictoriaHopkins853, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson Ridgeland, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the condition of our property during your visit. As you noted, we have begun a full property renovation which will address all of the issues you mentioned. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience our work may have caused you. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and show off our new guest experience if your travels bring you back to the area.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Ok, going to start this review off with the only two positives for this stay...First, the bed was very comfortable, but that is always to be expected in a Hilton property. The second, was the ceiling fan in the bed room. Having a fan made my stay really feel like home. But the good ends there...This property is going through some much needed renovations, but I am not sure that alone will fix their issues. To start, I will mention the obvious, the needed upkeep and repairs...the carpet through out, guest rooms, hallways, elevator, etc are disgustingly dirty and stained. The room over all was in pretty bad shape, and the furniture had lots of stains on it. The housekeeping didn't seem to care too much, because when I checked in, there was fruit left in the fridge, water or liquid stains on all of the wood furniture, and towels missing. Also, there was just a sense that the room had not been very well cleaned. The lobby and eating area were very hot and uncomfortable, making it not pleasent to spend much time in these areas. But probably the one thing that made this stay really bad...the food. The food was just plain nasty...nothing was fresh (except the bananas) and had a bad taste. And on top of that, the evening reception was only Monday-Thursday, what's up with that? What's more, even when they did have the manager's reception, the beer was warm...come on people, at least have cold beer on tap, if nothing else. So, would I stay here again? No, not just no, but heck no!

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pickytraveler2011
VictoriaHopkins853, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Jackson Ridgeland, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
First allow me the opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences and issues you experienced during your stay. You willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guests, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Our property is currently undergoing renovations to address many of the concerns you had during your stay. Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from the Homewood Suites by Hilton Brand. Again, thank you for your feedback, and trust that if you allow us to serve you in the future you will find it very rewarding.