“Bad service, disappointing amenities, over-charging”

Holiday Inn Express Ridgeland - Jackson North Area
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Ridgeland
Bangalore, India
“Bad service, disappointing amenities, over-charging”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I was booked to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Ridgeland, MS for nearly a month, by my company, on a business trip.
First, this hotel is not meant for long term stay. Its rooms, amenities and facilities are not meant to withstand more than 1-2 days of stay. Anything beyond that, and large cracks begin to show in the hotel's service and lack of conveniences. In any case, the bad experience I had at the hotel forced me to move out in 5 days.
1. Even though my company had paid in advance for my stay with a corporate card, the hotel staff insisted on me giving my credit card "for incidental expenses". Like a fool I did. And subsequently, the hotel double charged me! Every day, they debited the room charge from my personal card even though they were already debiting it from my corporate card. I must have spoken to 5 people, called dozens of times, reminded them numerous times, and all they said was "sorry, we'll reverse the transactions". Till today, the transactions have not been reversed.

2. The room entry card swipe system would break down every evening! I'd come back from work, swipe my card, and it wouldn't work. I'd have to go down to the reception and have the card reset. On one day, the staff had to call a janitor to to try to jimmy open my room door because it wouldn't open, even with the master key!

3. The breakfast spread was pathetic. No self-respecting guest would eat there for more than a day. Powdered juices, diabetes-inducing pastries, runny eggs, bad coffee, foul smelling milk - in addition to the usual assortment of fruit and pre-packaged cereal. The hotel called it "continental". I call it an insult.

4. Poorly equipped gym. With 2 treadmills and an elliptical. No weights. No multi-gym. Nothing. And the hotel claimed that they had recently refurnished it. I shudder to think what it was before it was refurnished.

5. Flaky wifi internet. As a business traveler, I depend on wifi internet a great deal. At the HIE, the internet would be broken down when I returned in the evening. Even when it was running, the strength of the connection in my room was flaky.

6. Even until the day I left, the manager (Kim) had not turned up to talk about refunding the illegal transactions. That speaks volumes about the place. The evening I checked out, Jasmon at the reception, was very apologetic and offered a free night. My only thought was "yeah, so that you can debit me for one more night?" The poor girl was probably trying to redeem the hotel's ruined reputation, but too much went wrong for that to work.

The only good thing about this place was the friendliness of the staff. Unfortunately, all the friendliness in the world doesn't fix the issues. I would't stay there again. Indeed, I wouldn't stay at any Holiday Inn Express again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kunalashar
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ridgeland - Jackson North Area, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear kunalashar,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel, but I was disappointed. We had a 2-queen bed suite which was definitely spacious, but there were lighting and cleanliness issues. The suite had two rooms, and the first room was extremely dark, so dark it would be useless to try to read while sitting on the sofa. The bathroom with toilet and tub was also very dim. The tub was very clean, however. One thing I noticed was that the carpet had lint all over it even in the hallway. The carpet appeared new, but needed vacuuming. There was a used roll of toilet paper on the floor by the bed, and there appeared to be a "booger"-looking object on the bed which I flicked off.

The breakfast was fine with the hot cinnamon rolls. All in all, though, I don't know that I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ridgeland - Jackson North Area, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear arewenotmen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see you enjoyed the breakfast. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 February 2014

First, the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The lobby and breakfast area very nice. The breakfast attendant was very efficient and pleasant! Would be nice to be able to open window in room for fresh air, but they were bolted shut. Again, room clean, but needs refreshing. We would stay here again due to access of restaurants and interstate.

Room Tip: Ask for room opposite interstate.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russ S
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here as we were passing through town. The room was clean the beds were comfortable. They had soft and firm pillows on the bed which was very nice. The tv was big and had lots of Chanel's to chose from. Our room had a couch and extra bedding in the closet. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was very good. The rest of our trip was spent in another hotel and our kids said multiple times that they wish that we were staying in this hotel for our trip.

Stayed January 2014
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Relatively clean, though not the cleanest room I've ever stayed in. Breakfast was hot, though pancakes were not available (this is negligible). Here's the important thing: the bed was comfortable and the shower was hot. Only thing that I think could be improved is placing some furniture outside by the pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had a great one night stay on our way to Texas. The staff was super friendly and helpful and offered lemonade and snacks when we checked in. The fitness room was great and the morning breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aaron P, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ridgeland - Jackson North Area, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
We want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay here with us. Your great comments have been passed onto the staff and we are constantly working to ensure our guests have a great stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Kimberly Monk
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We arrived late on a Friday night after driving all day from Houston to attend a wedding the next day. We are IHG Platinum members and expected the usual quick check-in and complimentary upgrade, instead we waited for 20 minutes to get checked in, only to get to our room and find the most foul shower we have EVER seen in a hotel room. Prison showers are cleaner. So we called down to the desk and asked to be relocated to a room with a clean shower. 40 minutes later around 12:30 a.m. we were finally moved to another room.
I will say that the new room was much nicer. The employee who relocated us told us to make sure we got extra points for the inconvenience when we checked out. At checkout the same employee was working the desk. We asked about the points, and she informed us she didn't know how to do the points, so we would have to wait until the manager came in if we wanted them...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amc0039
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ridgeland - Jackson North Area, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Amc0039,

Thank you for your feedback and for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and the bathroom condition which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.