“Average”

Maria's Cantina
Ranked #1 of 142 Restaurants in Southaven
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, GA
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I wanted to try a mexican place near the hotel. Their are 2 others, but I decided to try Maria's. I sat at the bar, nice long bar with great TV's, a plus. One bartender, she was busy. I ordered a top shelp margarita. That was great on the rocks. This was the only great thing. I had two.
You get charged for chips and salsa. I added guacamole, which was decent.
For my meal, I had their chef favorite chipotle chicken tacos. Supposedly marinated chicken.
I was disappointed. The tacos were served with cilantro rice that was dry. The tacos were covered in red cabbage, yuck. The chicken was marinated in a teriyake type sauce, that didn't go well with cabbage.
Then, I get my tab, I didn't check. I get home. The bartender charged me for a meal I didn't have. An extra $8.99 was on my tab. That was ok. She was cool, not very talkative.
I won't repeat. i would suggest trying another place for food. If you want good margarita's, come here. Check your tab though!

• Visited August 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mexican, kinda....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I really like the funky mix here. It's hard to describe, but it really works. Food is delicious and always seems fresh! They have really good burgers, as well. And, they have a BBQ section. We are, after all, in the Memphis area. Try it, you'll like it..

Visited June 2014
Mc Donald TN
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Food was good here, and the place was packed for a Thursday night. Apparently it was trivia night, but we were still able to be seated quickly. I was a little disappointed we had to pay for chips and salsa.

Visited May 2014
“Just okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Ate at this dining establishment this evening. Had been told the food is "great" from the locals I'd asked. They recommended the salad bowl. Well, not so much...
First things first. Quickly seated, hostess friendly and efficient. Waiter quickly greeted. I asked if they served sangria. His response made it evident he wasn't sure what that is. Isn't this a Mexican restaurant? If they serve sangria, he does not know tnis. So I ordered a maria mojito (made with tequila instead of rum... their house special according to the menu) and the salad with "boiled" tequila lime chicken. He offered the special drink (2 for 1), did not advise if there was a food special.
No chips and salsa served unless you order it as an app ($1.50). The salad arrived in mere minutes, the drink took a little longer, but not too much longer. The salad looks good - mixed greens, cheese, olives, cabbage, tomato, the chicken, and balsamic vinaigrette, but tastes just okay. The balsamic vinaigrette, however, was wonderful,and that boiled chicken wasn't bad. Where was the cheese though? I didn't see but a pinch of cheese! The mojito was also just okay.
Total bill was $15, not too bad in an area where dining out seems to be pretty pricey. The waiter was also just okay. Asked a few questions about the food and he didn't know and didn't offer to find out. But he was overall efficient. Now, at the end of the meal, found out I got a regular mojito, not the tequila version I ordered.
There are better Mexican restaurants in the area I'd recommend instead, but it's probably one of the more decent options within Town Center (which isn't saying much, Southaven). All in all, the entire experience was just average... not "great" though, like I was told. Really just boring.

• Visited June 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Ok for some”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Looks like a sports bar, and it was trivia night. But, when we were asked if we wanted smoking or non-smoking, I should've left. After a trip to wash my hands, I now smelled like a cigarette. My wife had the chicken relleno, which she said was ok. I had the BBQ pork tamale. If you enjoy good tamales, pass on this one. The black beans were good and the lime rice would be good, if not for some of the uncooked or hard grain. Our waitress was a sweetheart but she made me wonder if a waitress with an obvious cold sore should be serving food. She kept the cold beers coming and they were tasty. With the assortment of good places to eat, I won't return because of the smoking.

• Visited May 2014