Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Southaven
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Southaven
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I probably should have heeded the calls of other reviewers. We are Residence Inn fans and this property was a convenient stopover location during a family trip. Our first room was a 2-bedroom suite. When we walked in the thermostat was set on 62 degrees and there was a palpable smell in the room that we could not quite make out. Urine? If you read my other reviews you'll notice that I am not overly picky (or maybe it is that Trip Advisor has led me to stay in such great hotels that I rarely encounter problems.) but this was a problem. The front desk clerk was very friendly and gladly switched us to their only other room available, a 1-bedroom suite. The next morning we heard a knock on the door at 8am and it was housekeeping wondering if we had checked out. They were very polite, still, we found this unusual. Our 1-bedroom was fine and the breakfast OK. With so many great properties around I don't think we'll be going back, though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here for one night. We always stay at Residence Inns because of the size of our family; however, there were no 2 bedroom suites available so we requested 2 one BR suites next to each other. The front desk assured us the rooms would be adjacent but when we arrived, they had put us on different floors! They did manage to get us rooms on the same floor but on opposite ends of the building - not exactly convenient when you have shared suitcases. We would have preferred to have been told the truth; we could've kept looking for another hotel that could have accommodated us better. That said, the rooms were nice and spacious, breakfast was good as usual (though no specifically Southern dishes - a little disappointing for Mississippi).

Room Tip: Make sure you are getting what you ask for!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SfdbMD
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I just returned home from a weekend stay in Memphis. I always prefer the Marriott hotel chain when traveling and chose this hotel for the trip (usually I stay at the nearby Holiday Inn Express). Upon arrival we checked in and noticed that the air was not working in the room. We informed the front desk clerk who said she would have someone to check it. After a few hours, no one came to check the air. The housekeeper also came by and noted the air was not working. She also informed the front clerk of the situation. As we were headed out for the evening, we asked the front desk clerk to make sure that someone checked the air so it would be cool upon our return. To our dismay, upon our return, we found that the air was still not working and apparently no one had been in to check. We notified the front desk clerk ( a different person) and she changed us to a different room. After church the next morning, we noticed the air in THIS room was seemingly not working as well. We thought perhaps that this was because of the extremely hot weather conditions and did not bother to make another complaint. The following morning during checkout, I mentioned the incident to the front desk clerk and inquired of Marriott rewards points or some type of compensation for our inconvenience during our stay. The front desk clerk related the information to "someone" in the back office. The clerk came out and said "she" said we will not be able to do anything since we moved you to another room.
Seemingly, the person making the decision would have the decency to come out and address me (as the customer) herself. We basically spent the weekend stay in rooms with malfunctioning air conditioning with temperatures above 90 degrees. Not only that, the initial customer service clerk did not even attempt to address the issue. Additionally, the "she" was actually Ashley, the front desk manager! Certainly, she should have been more professional and know how to deal with unsatisfied customers!
I have been a Marriott rewards customer for years and have always stayed with the Marriott chain whenever I travel; however, I have been very disappointed in the customer service that I have received lately, as well as the quality of some of the hotel rooms.
When I complete this review, I will be contacting the corporate offices to express my displeasure as well. I asked to speak with the general manager and was told that he was out for the WEEK! When I called back several hours later, he was out for the day. I will definitely follow up with him to give him and opportunity to address the situation, but I will also be contacting Marriott'a customer relations department. I think I'm going with the Hilton chain from now on!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank kimrj2
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Memphis airport is our home airport and we can heartily endorse this Residence Inn as a great hotel with airport connections (shuttle). The hotel is a brief 25 minute ride away from the airport. As far as Residence Inns go, this is our favourite. Very clean with a friendly staff. They go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious.The breakfast at this hotel is slightly better than most Residence Inn breakfasts (I would give it a 8 out of 10). While we were there they ran out of my favourite yogurt but quickly restocked when I mentioned it. You will not go away hungry! I can't say enough good about this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Staying here now great place to stay for an extended stay clean kitchenette stove ful size refrigerato r. Very nice staff great breakfast very clean rooms and hotel well maintained inside and out. Will stay here again if in the area for a week or more.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My father and I came here to stay for the Dayton Sweet 16 game. We stayed a total of 3 nights. Upon our arrival the room wasn't ready and they told us to wait 10 min. We waited 15 min, went to the room and it still wasn't done. The person cleaning was friendly and apologized. The next morning, they came to clean the room at about 10am before we even knew what we were going to do for the day, but the lady was nice and understanding to come back later. Overall, the service was good from the cleaning standpoint.

The breakfast was your typical fare. The hot waffles are always a win if you add bananas, blueberries, and walnuts to them before you cook them. However, I got scolded from the person on duty b/c it ruins their waffle irons. I even cleaned it after I was done! Not the greatest service. Have it your way is not an option. Also, for plain water drinkers as myself, they do not have plain ice water or even water in a pitcher at breakfast so bring your own from your room. The only options were orange juice, apple juice, coffee, and tea ... really!??!

The exercise room was small and included no free weights. There is two treadmills and an elliptical. Outside there is a pool. Towels included for both.

Rooms -- the beds were soft, not as firm as i was used to. All the reviews I read said it was out dated, I actually thought it looked renovated and nice. Everything was typical of a Marriott Residence Inn Room. The noise level wasn't the greatest as kids were banging on the doors and slamming doors. I yelled at them once and my dad did as well and it continued. Management needs to take action or parents need to WATCH their children.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to the exit...the doors slam when people go in/out.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The rooms where decent as Residence inns go, nothing to brag about but not bad either. Last time I was staying for a couple week stay and to my dismay an entire football team was also booked there during one of the weekends. I have been in hotels with entire teams in them and I have kids also so I know what "normal" noise from kids should be. We called to complain about the constant running down the halls and yelling. In or out of the rooms you could hear them. We found the "Chaperones" downstairs drinking and the kids where not being watched. Needless to say we checked out and demanded a room in sister property. 21 night stay starting this week, hello Hilton across the street!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business