“Friendly and well maintained”

Hilton Garden Inn Starkville
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly and well maintained”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

First visit to this hotel and it was very nice - good rooms, efficient staff and a good restaurant. Only complaint was that the menu was somewhat generic with no regional cuisine, though they had a good selection of local beer.
As with most places, it is the staff that make the difference - and the staff was excellent!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
John J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Starkville, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for thos every nice comments. Our staff work hard every day to make sure each guests feels like family when they walk in the front doors. We believe in true Southern Hospitality and try to let that show each day. Thank you for your suggestions on dining, I will pass them on to my Food and beverage Director.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Richland, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

During my last stay in Oct. 2013, a portion of the breakfast bar was complimentary. This included fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, pastries/danishes/muffins/toast, & cereal...similar to most other hotel complimentary breakfasts. During my recent stay in May 2014, I was bluntly told that the only complimentary items were a bowl of bananas, apples, & oranges placed in the center of the breakfast display. I was told this during the 3rd morning of my 4-day stay, yet nothing was said during the first two mornings as I selected a few items that I remembered as being complimentary during my previous stay. I did not voice my frustrations at the front desk as I was in a rush to leave for business meetings. There was also a rather loud and annoying sound of some form of construction going on each day/night. The noise sounded similar to a water hammer and lasted for long intervals. I heard this sound each night of my stay, sometimes as late as 10:30pm. Other colleagues of mine who were a floor above me and toward the opposite end of the hotel also heard and were bothered by the sound. The room consumables that were restocked each day were not consistent. I began with 4 disposable cups and used a few of them each day, yet only 1 or 2 were restocked each time. The Kureig coffee cup was not replenished for my last day. The drain in the bathroom tub was broken such that the drain plug had to be removed and placed on the ledge of the tub in order for the water to drain. The control for the sleep number adjustment was broken on the side of the bed I slept. My wake up call that was requested for the morning of my departure and repeated/confirmed on the phone, was written incorrectly as needing to be 2 hours later than requested...which led to a more rushed check out in order to catch my return flight.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your helpfulness in making us aware of area's that we can definately make the improvements you desribed. Our guests allow us the opportunity to be the best we can each and every stay. We llok forward too seeing you on your next stay.
Brandon, Mississippi
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The airconditioner kept cycling on and off as it is supposed to, but the noise it made each time was detrimental in getting a good nights sleep. Doubt if we ever stay there again. It was easy access on and off the highway.

Room Tip: It is not true that higher floors have less a/c unit noise. As we were on the top floor and it could...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
John J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Starkville, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your recent stay in Starkville. I apologize for the ac noise issue but please know that we have addressed the problem. Our goal is always our guests comfort and satisfaction.
southfield, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2014

On our annual family trip we were pampered while lodging at Hilton Garden Inn - Starkville, MS. Beginning with the made-to-order breakfast and breakfast buffet, room service, lobby bar, outdoor patio, indoor pool and in close proximity to MSU, restaurants, shopping.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your recent stay. Our goal is always our guests satisfaction. A great southern hospitality experience is what HGI Starkville is all about. Please know that we review and act on all comments by our guests and look forward to seeing you on future trips to Starkville.
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I’ve been traveling on business for over 15 years and I can say that this was the worst stay ever. I’m stay covered 5/24/14 to 5/26/14. Let’s start with the manager Payne (as he introduced himself) agreed to accommodate and early arrival of 3:00am for 2 rooms. I actually reserved 3 rooms. Upon arrival the man at the front desk kept repeating himself over and over (check-in is at 3pm ma’am) without bother with the notes in the system and did absolutely nothing to help us. I called 3 times and verified that it wouldn’t be a problem and each time I was assured that I was covered by Mr. Payne & reservations. In fact the person in reservations contacted Mr. Payne to verify. After arriving with my family including a 5 year old, we had nowhere to stay! The guy at the front desk could care less. I then put a call into the manager which wasn’t Mr. Payne. In fact, they denied knowing other staff members… ridiculous! To sum things up the manager was any help at all. He basically told me that I was a liar not knowing that the guy at the front desk read me the notes. He told me, “I know my staff and no one would have every told you that.” I asked him if he was calling me your customer a liar and if he thought I brought my family all the way from Ohio to Mississippi in hopes of a place to stay. He repeats I know my staff. I then asked him if he would travel with his family over 600 miles in hopes of a place to stay. He replied no. I stated, and I would either. Even after checking into the hotel there were problems after problems. The breakfast price was quoted one price by Mr. Payne $4.99 a day added to the price of the room would include breakfast for everyone in that room. However, guests were told it was $8.95 per person. Therefore, a guest of my party went out and bought breakfast for everyone. We I heard about it, I went to the front to explain the situation. They agreed there was a miss understanding on their part and assured us that we would have a problem the next day. The next day my husband is the only one that had breakfast. He also tipped the staff in advance for the remaining party that would be eating later. The guest books in all three rooms stated that breakfast was over at 11:00 being a holiday. However, at 10:10 they were breaking everything down. No one else in our party had a chance to eat breakfast. Therefore, the staff decided that they would make us a platter of danishes. Ok, no one really wanted danishes & apple juice over a hot breakfast but we agreed. Once the staff called us to say that the platter was ready….. wait for it… wait for it… that will be $3.00 person. They wanted us to pay $3.00 per person for a crappy breakfast verses our hot free breakfast. Are they serious! It gets no better at check-out there were charges added to my bill that the front desk couldn’t explain. However, we later realized that it was the tip that my husband left the cooking staff. Now this stay was horrible! You couldn’t trust in nothing … absolutely nothing the hotel staff said. The only good thing about this hotel is that the hotel is very clean and the cleaning staff is very friendly and appear to know a thing a two about hospitality unlike the front desk staff. The only person who tried to help us in anyway was a new employee named Holly. They really need to keep her. She could teach the manager some things. Oh, the also have a sign in the lobby stating that if you’re not happy you don’t have to pay that they do not honor. I was told by one of the staff members that the manager bends over backward for his white guest…. Really! That’s only a few of the problems. I could tell so much more. The bottom line… my party or I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I never would never have guessed that a hotel in Mississippi would be lacking in the hospitality area than other places like Maryland, DC, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, Virginia, New York, Illinois etc. As a member of the US Army and now a civilian federal employee, I have travel many places and have never come close to the treatment I received in Mississippi.

Room Tip: I would suggest that if you have to stay at a Hilton I would try Hampton Inn. It's a older hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
John J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Starkville, responded to this review, 3 December 2014
Thank you for your comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very sorry for the fact that you did not have a comfortable stay. Please be assured that we are sharing your concerns with all appropriate management so that corrective measures are taken where feasible. We are in the process of getting new beds, as Hilton Standards are changing. We sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations as this is not typical of the high standards we strive to maintain.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you better in the future

John Jackovic
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I've stayed at this motel many times and found it to have a great staff and amenities, such as bar and small restaurant. However, I won't choose this motel in the future because of its new mattresses - well, at least the room I was in had a different mattress than before. It starts firm, then your body molds into it, then you can hardly tun over.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for that kind review and please know the sleep member beds are reviewed and taken into consideration at all levels. I encourage you to try us agian and I will make sure you have the nights sleep you require. Our goal is always your comfort and satisfaction.
Sebastian, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Beautiful Hilton Garden Inn, rooms were comfortable and clean. Staff was delightful and helpful. Booked my stay here to use the indoor pool and hottub but daughter forgot to pack her bathing suit so we missed out on that.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

John J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Starkville, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for those very kind words. Our promise is your comfort and satisfaction. The entire staff works hard to make sure each guests stay is just like being at home. We hope to see you again in the near future. Our guests are our family.