“An Unexpected Gem”
Review of Hotel Chester

Hotel Chester
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Slightly antiquated, which is half it's charm, a delightful "boutique hotel" run by hugely friendly people. "At your service" could be their motto. And the restaurant serves some of the best food we have experienced in the entire USA! Magical!

6  Thank torrpoint

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I reviewed this hotel last year after my original stay. When I had the opportunity to return to the area, the first thing I did was to book a room at the Hotel Chester! After not having been at the hotel for a year, Dave, the owner, greeted me by first name at check-in. He conversed about my previous visit as if had been a week prior, not a year prior.

I stayed for a week, and whenever I came into contact with any of the hotel staff I was asked what they could do to improve my stay, or if I was comfortable, or what else they could do.....This establishment is the epitome of customer service. All hotels should send their staff here to learn how to treat people. I also finally had the opportunity to try the food in the "Library" for dinner...it was awesome, (but you'll have to see my review for that).

Honestly I didn't think that I could get better service than the prior year's stay, but I was pleasantly surprised...this year they gave 120%!! Whenever I have to return to the Golden Triangle area, I will be staying at the Chester.

6  Thank igor948
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stumbled onto this hotel when we lost our reserved rooms at a well-known hotel chain. Yes, it is old but you won't find anything dirty or not working. The beds are VERY comfortable. After my first visit, I went home and ordered the same pillows for my own bed. Breakfast is cooked to order and included with your stay. The Library restaurant is intimate and a nice place to retreat in the evening for a drink or a meal. Sukie, one of the proprieters, manages the kitchen -- the menu includes Asian as well as American dishes. Haven't had a bad meal yet! We are always greeted warmly by David and Sukie and made to feel as if we are their most important customers -- which of course we can't be! If you love B&Bs, I would say this is a perfect place for you.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center or swimming pool at the facility. Wonderful outdoor seating in the back g...
4  Thank LJB0805
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The hotel was nice, room was clean, bed was very comfy, but no curtains in the room. There were blinds but the room was light all night then VERY light once the sun rose early on Sunday morning. I need some dark to sleep. I won't stay there again only because of the light.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank CarolAnneS396
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Hotel Chester was recommended by Rick at Rick'sCafe in Starkville. What a pleasure to stay there! Bill, the owner checked us in and made sure we had everything we needed or wanted! I don't know when this man sleeps...he was there when we checked in, when we came back in at midnight, and when we checked out. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are comfortable, the staff is welcoming, and the complimentary full breakfast very good. We will only stay at the Hotel Chester if we are back in Starkville.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Batchy66
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is an older hotel in downtown Starkville. It is a 20 minute little over a mile walk to the campus of Mississippi State. The walk is along tree lined residential streets and is quite enjoyable. As this is an older hotel the rooms are smaller than newer properties. It is not fully accessable for those who have special needs. There is an elevator but the small rooms and some stairs for some rooms may cause issues. I found the room perfectly adequate but i was by myself. It may be tight for two people. The room was clean and well appointed. No fridge or microwave but I don't really need them. I stayed for 4 nights for business and only woke up early due to the city street cleaners outside once. It was surprisingly quiet. The breakfast is fantastic. Cooked to order eggs, waffles and/or meat. Really yummy. Plenty of parking is available on the street or in a city lot less than a block away. Parking was not an issue for me at all. Great place with helpful staff. Next time you are in town, give them a try.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank HenryFlagler
Reviewed 14 August 2012

As parents of an incoming freshman at MSU, we stayed at Hotel Chest on Move In Day. I had read the reviews prior to scheduling and agree with the positive comments. The room was somewhat quite (we did hear the occassional alarm sound, louder than most cars), traditional decor, staff were accommodating, and convenient to most things within the town. We plan to stay here again for an upcoming football game and have already recommended to other parents.

Room Tip: View of the downtown area from our 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family