“Southern Hospitality at it's best!”
Review of Hotel Chester

Hotel Chester
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Oakland, California
“Southern Hospitality at it's best!”
Reviewed 6 February 2010

On a cross-country trip, my girlfriend and I stopped off in Starkville, MS, and stayed at the Hotel Chester based on the reviews we found online. Sometime great reviews lead to inflated expectations, but we were very happy to find this hotel to be quiet, spotlessly clean, with very comfortable beds. What made it truly stand out from the other accommodations on our trip was the friendly and caring attitude of David, the owner, who made sure we had secure parking for our fully-packed car, and treated us more like guests in his own home than paying customers. ..And the hot cooked to order breakfast (included in the price) was a great bonus!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rich1M
Kayla-hotelchester, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Chester, responded to this review, 8 February 2016
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at The Hotel Chester!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Historic Hotel Chester and had a wonderful time. The service was the best we had on our trip and we will stay there again when in the area. The food was outstanding, rooms are extra clean and great value. This place is a must stay!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jean-johnny
We take pride in our staff and restaurant. THank you for your kind words, we hope to see you again in the future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed here with my daughter for her orientation and had a wonderful stay. My room was clean and the bed was very, very comfortable. Next morning we had complementary breakfasts, individually cooked and served a beautifully decorated dining room called the Library.
The hotel gives out daily complementary pass to the MS State University's own state of art health club, yes we went and exercised with latest equipment. The hotel chester also owns and a Real Japanese Sushi Restaurant but offers light American food as well.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Tuscaloosa, AL
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We chose Hotel Chester in Starkville as a place to escape our own town, about an hour away in Alabama. It was one of those "one-tank" trips and Starkville, for people our age, is a pretty fun town to visit.

The clerk knew my name when I walked in the door - I don't know if he's just that good, or if they were having a really slow weekend, but I enjoyed that touch. Our room was a king, and on the smoking deck overlooking the roof - a bit of a disappointment, in that the balcony wasn't private and didn't overlook anything of interest. The saving grace was a quick trip down some stairs to a secluded courtyard behind the hotel - I escaped there this morning with my coffee and sat there watching birds for the better part of an hour, and even enjoyed a bit of conversation with another couple visiting.

Parking was located around the block, but close enough for us. You can park to load/unload in front of the hotel, and there is handicapped parking available up front as well. The lot in which we parked was well-lit, which made me feel at ease.

Overall, the place was clean... the staff, friendly and eager to please... the room and bed were comfortable, as is evidenced by my decision to remain in bed rather than journey down for breakfast. I'll definitely come back here again on future visits. And... somewhere I read a review of this place saying the person couldn't access the Internet... I took my Mac, which played very nicely with the hotel's network - both wired AND wireless - without a hitch.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ge0cacher
Germantown
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Arrived hungry, late and was suprised to find a friendly front desk clerk offering a room service!! Great Sushi from the hotel restaurant, Sushi On Main. Next morning, I had the best eggs benedict and my wife had French Toast, sausage and Grits, all complementary (FREE). Three nights stay was too short for us but we will not stay anywhere but here

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
We appreciate your kind words!
123andaway
Reviewed 31 March 2009

In this case the word historic is being used as a codeword for old and unkept. this otel is ugly and unmaintained. It is quite scary to imagine a fire in this place. The halls are awkward.

There is no hotel parking -- not even for check-in. You will have to park in the lot around back. One could do a lot better if you want a historic southern experience -- but there is no decent downtown hotel in Starkville. I would suggest that you try Columbus if this is your desire. The Chester is dreadful from a cost/benefit scenario.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 123andaway
memphis, tn
Reviewed 20 November 2008

The first room the Hotel gave me was very appealing... The door to the room was open and the bathroom tub was rusted with big chips knocked out of it. Of course I got a different room, which was not much better... This hotel is in a great location in Downtown area, but needs a lot of money spent on it for RENOVATIONS!!! It is not worth the 109.00 a night...

• Liked — The 5 minute commute to where I was working
  • Disliked — The dirty rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank qmemphis