“Very good experience”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Starkville at MSU
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Starkville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Corinth, Mississippi
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed overnight while my wife went to a conference at MSU. Our experience was great. The hotel is about a mile from campus, with easy access to the university and Starkville.

The check-in went quickly and smoothly. The staff was friendly and helpful- I asked about checking in about an hour early, and they had no problems with it (When I got to the room, however, the housekeeping staff wasn't finished. I sat in the lobby for about 15 minutes and watched the tv while waiting for them to finish). Our room was on the 4th floor. The bed was nice, a bit firm for my taste, but they provided plenty of soft pillows. The television was nice, with lots of channels to choose from. The bathroom was good, but I have learned to notice something: the room we had (406) came with a full shower- no tub. This might be something to note if you have a very young child who doesn't like showers.

Breakfast was the standard continental fare- cold cereals, biscuits & gravy, toast/bagels, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

Check-out went quickly and smoothly. Again, the staff was friendly and helpful.

One thing to note, is that when I checked in and got into the room, I could hear doors slamming closed elsewhere in the hotel. Soundproofing was a little thin, but the noise was easily overcome.

Room Tip: 4th floor had some cigarette smell in the hallway at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Chefwdr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We were pleased with our weekend stay. Speedy check in/out. Hotel staff very friendly, pleasant and helpful. Quiet but conveniently located near university, highways, some shopping and eating venues. Hotel very clean with a modern decor. Great amenities including pool and workout room. Will definitely recommend and stay again.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We picked this hotel because it's one of the few in Starkville, MS with an outdoor pool. We also were traveling with kids and they provide a free breakfast. We arrived about 30 minutes early before check-in. Front desk staff was not what I'd call friendly but professional. When they allowed me to check in but not go to my room (seriously?!) but didn't even offer to let us put our luggage someplace or rest in the lobby, I should have known we were dealing with inexperienced staff. We went away and came back 30 minutes later to discover a couple of large groups also checking in.
This is fairly new hotel but already maintenance seems to be having a difficult time keeping up. Stairwells smelled musty or of some odd odor. Floor on main level needed to be cleaned. Elevator was a slow as Christmas and only one in operation for the building. Pool area was clean but needed to be swept and there were NO pool towels. OK, not a huge deal but really, if I'm paying a little more per night, they should have this small amenity.
The worst was breakfast which was SWAMPED with people. Staff couldn't keep up with demand for food or coffee. No one was cleaning tables as they were vacated by guests.
Next time I'm through this area with my kids, I'll save a few bucks and some stress and stay at a different hotel-- even if the pool is inside!

1 Thank Marla S
Sebring, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Best hotel at this price point we have ever experienced. Every aspect was top-notch. Condition and cleanliness was above reproach. Quality and variety of food at breakfast was definitely superior. Both check-in and check-out were accomplished quickly by very helpful desk personnel. We definitely will stay at this hotel again and recommend it highly for anyone traveling in the Starkville, MS area.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta