“HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Starkville
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The sign in the parking lot, said recent renovations. When we entered the room, the 1st thing I noticed was the night stand (between the two beds) had a red sticky stain on it. I also noticed the a/c unit was broken with no knob to control the speed of the fan. Went back to the front desk & told the clerk. She said there was nothing to do about the a/c but she would clean the room. Met my daughter & went to dinner, came back to find the sticky red stain on the night stand. Went back down to the front desk, with a copy of my confirmation, stated the statement said there was to be a refrigerator, microwave, & iron the room, none of these items were present. She said she had cleaned the room herself, but didn't bother cleaning the night stand. At that time, a potential patron came into the office & asked about vacancies, the amount quoted to her was $80 for a double room. I'm paying over $100. When I brought this matter the clerk's attention, she stated there was nothing she could do about it since I made my reservations over the internet. I requested that since I had an email with details of the room accommodations they should live up to them. When I got back to the room, I noticed that there was no alarm clock. I was going to call down to the front desk only to discover the phone was not working. Went back down to the front desk & informed the clerk no alarm clock or no phone. She must have told the manager, but doors were slam and I didn't know what was going to happen. A few minutes later the manager came to the room to change out the phone, brought a microwave & mini-frig. I brought it to his attention that there was no iron or alarm clock, he did nothing. For a newly renovated room, there was no holder for the toilet tissue. There was a place to hold the tissue, but no holder for the roll. Also, there was no stopper for the sink drain. Also, in the middle of the carpet, there was burn spot in the shape of an iron. There was also a spot on the carpet that look like a shoe print melted into the carpet. If needing to stay in Starkville and everything else is booked, park your car someplace nice and just stay in your car.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MSUMom322

Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I booked for 2 nights so he could so some work at MSU, and lets just say I'm surprised that there is a hotel ranked worse than this. The whole hotel was old, the rooms dirty, wifi nearly non-existent and lots of dodgy people hanging out in the car park. We checked out and paid double the price at the Hampton over the road - well worth the extra $$$! Enough said...don't stay here!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here on 8-10-2013 because we were bringing someone to collage . I booked this room on line . This place is just plain FOWL ! It is owned and run by foreigners who's standards of " clean " is not like ours . When we pulled back the sheets to go to bed there was crumbs and pubic hair . So I called for someone to change the sheets , they brought clean sheets and told us to change them ! The bathtub had not been cleaned ( it still had a ring around it from someone else shower ) . There are lots of other places close to the collage and not worth the 6 or 7 dollars you might save by going here . It's just plain nasty there ..... don't do it , the pictures aren't what your really getting .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tari M
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This place is so unbelievably bad I just don't know how to describe it properly in words. The customer service at the front desk was atrocious, we paid $150/night to enjoy a football game, and don't think we got any sleep the first night. Bed was hard as a rock, floors were dirty, pull out sofa mattress was molded and paper thin, no sheets for the pullout that took about 3 hours too get from the front desk. Water in tub and sink was rusted, brown water baths only! Terrible place, do not even try staying there, it's worth driving a little and staying in Columbus or something. I emailed their corporate office and received a canned "I'm sorry" email that was 2 sentences long. Thank goodness it was an 11am game, it was over by 2:30 and I just packed the fam up and drove back home. Couldn't stay one more night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2012

There's nothing goo to say about this place! Customer service is very unprofessional and rude! My family reunion was the weekend of Labor day, my sister booked the rooms in March of 2012 for August was guaranteed a set price and when we got there was told the price went from $70.00 to$125.00 due to the football game (hell I wasn't there for no football game) the rooms was so dirty, from the inside out, even the pool! The manager was telling the house keeper she cannot clean the rooms until we left (talk about customer service)! After all that's said and done my mom is 76 years old, her and my sister booked their rooms until Monday on Sunday morning we went to our family service at church, come back to find out the lot was empty from the guest leaving after the game! The hotel manager had deactivated all the room keys including my mothers room, my sister went to speak with management and was told she paid until Sunday then told my moms and sister they had to leave, not before calling the police to say that checkout was at 11:00 and we owes them $29.00 after my brother ask management what was the $379.00 for? Management had the audacity to say that $379.00 wasn't nothing (big mistake) if I was at home management would have gotten knock in her dam mouth! I'm still upset from management to employees and would not let my dog stay there! The police advised us to pay the money and file a civil suit (which i will be doing)...stated that they have been treating people like that and getting away with it (wrong one)! If I could rate this hotel a 0 I would! There's no way you treat your guest like that and want someone to pay the price for those cheesy rooms! American best will never get my business or family business I promise I will do whatever it take to make sure everyone knows how this hotel operates...very unprofessional and dirty rat motel! PLEASE STAY AWAY AND DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE PICTURES ON THE WEBSITE...PATHETIC!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Iluvme007
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I wish I could say that this was a pleasant surprise but it wasn't. My wife and I travel to a lot of SEC football and baseball games and waited to long to get a reliable hotel, so we were stuck with this. We have seen rock bottom with Hotels (Masters Inn Tuscaloosa, AL) so when we arrived the hotel looked dated but wasn't the worst I had ever seen. We checked in and went to our room, still no real issues. The room itself was not perfect (broken phone, fire detector, and needed a little more cleaning) but not terrible either. The issues happened when we returned from our day out. We had a group of about 4 men standing in ours and the neighboring door way and another 2 or 3 in an SUV in front. This made us nervous but we realized something wasn't right. We watched for about 30 minutes and noticed that they had escorts/prostitutes coming in and out of the room beside us along with a never ending line of questionable individuals. We got our stuff together drove to the front desk and demanded to be moved. They agreed with our request and moved us to the front of the motel (stay here and NOT in the back) and our room was much nicer and safer. This motel is not the worst you will ever stay at but know you get what you pay for. If this is your last resort or you are on a budget this will do, but know that it does have issues. One positive is that it is in a fairly nice and accessible area.

Room Tip: Stay on the front of the building or on the side the CVS is on.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank timfullen
Reviewed 1 January 2012

It was just me and I just needed a bed for the night and I was unwilling to pay over $100 at some of the hotels in town. The sign outside said the rooms had been recently remodeled. I shutter to think what they were like before. Carpet and furniture were heavily stained. Half of the lights did not work. Some outlets did not have covers. I'm a guy that isn't bothered by much but the cleanliness did give me the creeps. There were chunks of dirt on the bedroom floor as well. Sheets and pillowcases were clean - this was the most important. Most concerning thing about this place was all the local people hanging around the lobby and parking lot. The front desk lady appeared to have her boyfriend there and they kept going to a room behind the office - made me wonder what was really going on there. Not a place for ladies or kids.

Room Tip: Lock the doors.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family