“Great place If you want to cook meth”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Starkville
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Starkville
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I should have seen the writing on the wall when I arrived, but there was no other rooms available in any other decent hotels. My shower rod was completely pulled out of the
wall and has been for some time because all the water ran on the floor when you showered and the tile was seperating from the floor. Beer bottles lying all over the property, run had a funky smell. If you need a cheap room to cook meth, this is your place. Also had to step over a used condom in the parking lot to get in my truck?????
Worst hotel I have ever stayed in

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DickyNixonxDOD
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Starkville

Reviewed 7 February 2011

We have stayed at many America's Best Value Inns and been very satisfied with our experience, but our stay in Starkville, MS was deplorable, and if we had never stayed at this chain before, we would certainly never do it again! Our experience included: electrical outlets with no covers that had to be jiggled to access electricity; shower faucet was reversed with no indication of the discrepancy, which resulted in not having hot water for showers; coffee pot was in room but no electrical appliance to brew it; no alarm clock; continental breakfast consisted of stale muffins and cereal and was not available until 7:45 am on our second day; trash, beer bottles on the grounds; broken marble slab lying on ground; tiles were hanging from the ceiling and the metal frame they were to fit in was bent so they could not be reinserted; Value Club membership was unfamiliar to staff and not honored; wireless internet did not work first night; room cards were rekeyed in our absence even though we were still residing there and staff had to be contacted to get in. Our experience speaks for itself--a very poor representation of this hotel chain and management.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2010

This hotel is a DUMP!!! We checked in with 4 other families for a football weekend trip. Our room had garbage under the bed, under and in the sleeper sofa, and behind the dresser. And it had roach droppings in the sleeper. And I had to ask them twice to clean it up!! AND ours wasn't even the worse room - one other couple had a used condom on the floor in their room!!!! (they did switch rooms, but they were all dirty).

We had no other choice but to stay here since it was a busy football game weekend so everyone went to the Dollar store and bought our own sheets to sleep on.

I will definitely never stay in another America's Best Value hotel again - anywhere!!! There is no VALUE in sleeping in nastiness!!! This owner has no concept of customer satisfaction!!! Therefore, I will not give them the satisfaction of making another $$ off of me!!!

P.S. I see at the bottom of this review where I could attach pictures....had I known that this weekend I could have taken pictures that would definitely turn you away from this hotel!!!

DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU JUST REALLY ONLY CARE ABOUT A CHEAP PLACE TO SLEEP!!!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I stayed at this hotel because the only other one near MSU that had any vacancies was outrageous in price. I realize there are some bad reviews and its obvious that hotel management has taken everything into consideration and is doing renovations. Our room had been recently painted. It was clean and had a fresh clean smell to it. I would suggest that they get new linens or atleast change detergent because the linens were scratchy. I did not get much sleep because the bed was extremely hard and needed new pillows. Overall the experience was okay and served the pupose of a cheap, clean hotel for a one night stay to drop my daughter off at MSU. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2009

This motel is old but that does not bother me. The fact that it is not kept up is what bothered me. It needs paint, it needs outside maintenance. It would be a wonderful place to stay if it just had a facelift. It is right across the street from Harvey's and close to the University. The bathroom was really nice! I just wish the rest of the motellooked as good. We asked for extra pillows and they were waiting for us when we got back from dinner. The staff was very nice. We were told that breakfast would be ready at 7:00 but by 7:30 we finally left and went to Shipleys as there was only dry cereal and packaged pastry, no milk, no coffee. All in all I think this would be a great motel if they would just spend a little money and add some little touches like, clean the furniture, fitted sheets........Because it was graduation we spent $151.00 for this room, a bit overpriced if you ask me!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We booked a "Junior Suite" for one night to attend a function at Mississippi State University. Being about $75 when other rooms in Starkville were over $100, we decided to stay here. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk informed us that the hotel was under renovation, and it certainly was true. Building materials were strewn outside of the lobby.

Our room was located on the back portion of the building, facing a wall from the CVS Pharmacy next door. No other guests were located in this wing of the building, and we felt mildly uncomfortable during the evening. The door, even though locked, did not seem to close all the way. Just to be safe, we put a table against the door.

We booked the "Junior Suite" because it had a king-sized bed and a sleeper sofa. When we pulled the mattress out of the sofa, a previous guest's sheets were still on there. Needless to say, we had to obtain some extra linens.

Two positives: the bathroom had been recently updated with granite tiles and new fixtures. There was a fairly new TV.

I know that, in the future, we will certainly be willing to spend some extra money to stay somewhere nicer. Don't make the same mistake we made.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank msdawg911
Reviewed 27 October 2008

This place is a mess. For starters, the lobby was dreary and unwelcoming. Just off the lobby was a large room where items (old phones, irons, etc.) were piled. The exterior of the motel was unsightly - peeling paint on the handrails and on many doors. I felt dirty just being in my room. Each time I first turned on the tub faucet, orange water came out for a couple of seconds. The bed linens were very wrinkled and seemed dirty and they were threadbare. The towels were stained, ridiculously small, very thin and very scratchy. There was only one TINY garbage can in the entire room. We've actually stayed here a few times in the past 15 years or so (used to be a Holiday Inn, then a Ramada Inn, etc.) and each time it's gotten worse and worse. This was the final straw!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family