“Ghost Town”

Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Reviewed 5 August 2014

With the recent economic downturn in the gaming industry in Mississippi, particularly in Tunica with the closure of Harrahs, one might think with one less casino to compete with that Sams Town Hotel & Casino would rise to the occasion to capitalize on attracting traffic. However, instead they push patrons in the opposite direction by closing their Poker Room, despite still not taking down their Poker Room signage 8 months later, as well as minimizing staff that serve you and cleaning staff that maintain casino cleanliness standards. Slot machines with cigarette ashes on them, empty beer bottles left discarded around them, and only one change machine on the upper floor for over 250 machines makes for a very inconvenient and disgusting environment in which to gamble. With 7 to 8 other casinos in Tunica to choose from, Sams needs to realize their housekeeping standards should be at least comparable, but instead is seriously deficient.
Promotions are also very misleading like their Friday night slot tournament, where you are required to use your own dollars to acquire as many slot points in a given time to be designated the winner of free slot play. The biggest spender automatically wins which takes away any regular slot players advantage. Not well explained until I asked Players Desk staff, only to be told I needed to spend a lot to win a little--Didn't make sense to me.
Buffet is very tired with same old boring items available--nothing new or fresh. Went to Goldstrike where there is a newly renovated buffet with endless variety for all tastes.
Next time well try the Goldstrike or the Horseshoe where there is still a Poker Room, where the casinos are well maintained and the buffets are edible.

2  Thank John V
There are newer reviews for Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have heard a lot of people up here in the Midwest say Sam's is a dump, a dirty place and cheap. I disagree completely. First off, our last visit, the room was very clean, the hallways were clean, the place was quiet, the staff is friendly, the parking is great, the food was good and the gaming was fairly decent as well. We get good comps at Sams but my wife and I both play, heavy at times. I always thought Harrah's Grand was the cream of the Tunica Crop, but after my last stay at Sam's.....our next stay will be at Sam's.

Room Tip: I would stay off the first floor. Lot of foot traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wally45
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The rooms need to be renovated. They are out of date- old tv- and it looks old. Also the room had no shower- just a bath. It is a decent room especially if you have comps like I had. I would not pay too much for these outdated rooms- casino was ok- buffet was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lsu1919
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have been staying at Sams Town at least 6 or 7 times a year for the last 6 years. We always get comp rooms and have been making our reservations well ahead of time. In the past, I have always called before the comp info was posted on the internet or received in the mail. They always made my reservation, held it with a credit card number and then I called back with the comp codes and never had any problem. I had stayed in June and then at the end of the month called to make my reservations for August as both myself and my husband were celebrating our birthdays and just wanted to be sure we had our reservation. They took all my information and then at the end of the call explained to me that because my comp rooms were not yet posted, they were going to use my credit card and charge me for Monday no matter what and when I got my comp info I could call back and they would comp the other days. I was going to pay for Monday regardless of how many comp days I had and I had enough to cover the whole week. After I heard that I told her to just cancel the reservation and I would wait until I had the comp information and would call back. I never gave it a second thought and then made my reservation for that week when the days were posted on the computer and no one said anything about a prior reservation. Low and behold, I just got my credit card statement and there was a charge for $42.90 from Sams Town for the Monday. I immediately called and explained the situation and finally that first reservation was canceled. I will not make reservations in the future until my comp days are posted. In my opinion this is a sneaky practice and they are not forthcoming with the information and have not seen their new practice posted anywhere. Be ALERT when making your reservations or you will be charged. I feel Sams Town is trying to lose a good customer with their tactics. This makes no sense, if you have comp days then you should be able to use them as in the past.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gastronomique
Reviewed 24 July 2014

First I would like to say I'm not a disgruntled gambler, I won about 530 on a penny machine. However the hotel was a complete disaster. We had a king suite 4001rm number...if they try and put you in there hang up run!!! I stayed inside this room for a total of 45 mins. And they still made me pay for the entire night. They also had no valet , it was after 12am I think when we arrived, they had no bell man, a poor old African American lady around 55-60 to help with luggage. We handled our own as this was unacceptable in my book! Mosquito's and bugs OMG. I can't say enough about the conditions here! Wall paper was falling off the wall in the bathroom and the bedside lamps...well that's another story. Air conditioner what a joke, only the fan worked! We moved out within 45 minutes. I am writing this review at the gold strike hotel....trust me there is a difference!!! It only got two stars because I did win on the machines that worked.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel is dirty
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ciidross
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've never felt the need to write a review but I thought I would share the experience I had with Sam's Town in Tunica. This way anyone in the same position can choose more wisely. My fiance was travelling home from Florida and needed a half way home place to stay. I looked online and found Sam's Town and it appeared to be a nice place. I booked her a NON-Smoking room and had the e-mail confirmation sent to her. When she arrived to check in, the staff was very rude and they weren't going to let her check in because our last name didn't match. Even though she had the confirmation for the booking in her possession. After giving her the run around and calling in a manager she finally managed to get check in. Even though I booked a NON-Smoking room, they gave her a Smoking room. She got to the room and was reserved in the fact her daughters would sleep in the stench of a smoking room. I called the hotel after she was checked in to question why I was able to book NON-Smoking when it wasn't available. The staff said that it clearly states on the website that it's based on availability. I went back to verify if this statement was true on my mobile devise and it said no such thing. The woman on the phone was defensive from the start. I gave it right back to her and she professionally hung up on me. Next she went to play slots. She put in $5 and ended up winning $81. She printed her voucher and changed machine's. The new machine spit her voucher out and said something like this machine is not accepting vouchers. She then went to another machine and put the voucher in and it had nothing on the voucher. Apparently Their System is so antiquated that the first machine took the money off the voucher but spit it back out and said voucher not accepted. Luckily she was able to go back and get the money off the other machine but the staff told her that people have lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars from the same thing happening to them. I have been to many casinos and never heard of this happening. Be aware, I've seen reviews of this casino with similar stories. One of the main reason's I booked this hotel is because the pool looked nice and her daughters could swim the next morning before heading home. They woke up this morning and went to the pool. They are the only people at the pool and 9:00 a.m. A member of the staff approaches them and says they need to get out of the pool because they didn't have wrist bands that they were never made aware they needed. Fine, she made the kids get out of the pool and went to the front desk to get wrist bands. She has 4 daughters but the policy of this hotel is only 3 wrist bands per room so I guess if you have four kids, don't go to this hotel. If you don't want to risk having the slot machines eat your money, don't go to this casino. If you want polite staff that treats you kindly, don't stay here. If you do choose this casino, I hope your experience is better than ours.

5  Thank Trent S
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Trent, Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your stay with us and we sincerely apologize for your experience with our staff not meeting your needs in a friendly manner. Your comments will be forwarded to our Director of Operations and Director of Slot Operations immediately. We do have strict procedures in place to protect our guests when it comes to check-in and names matching reservations placed on-line and even through our own reservation center, but that does not excuse the manner in which your fiancé was treated and for the hotel staff not informing her of our wrist band policy at the pool. If possible, we would like to receive more information and talk to you at your convenience via phone.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Even though Harrah's KidsQuest packed up and left Tunica along with the casino!! That doesn't mean Sam's Town shouldn't pick up that slack?! Sam's Town has OVER 9000 rooms and a very small outdoor pool that is mosquitoes heaven, especially after the sun goes down! It was a BIG disappointment for me and my pre-teen daughter! But this is really what got my panties in a by bunch! The gameroom! Sam's Town game room had only 7 machines, 7!!!! 2 were kind of a good ones ( Guitar Hero & Dance Revolution!). The 5 others were very lame, very mall arcade type. Wasn't wowed at all and won't take my time, nor my money to that Sam's Town in the future!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments and we apologize for your experience with mosquitoes in our pool area, we do treat the area several times daily and into the evening and will certainly follow up with our facilities department to insure the schedules are being followed.