“great hotel over all ... with a couple small flaws ...”

Fitz Casino and Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Springfield, Illinois
“great hotel over all ... with a couple small flaws ...”
Reviewed 24 March 2008

The bed and towels were much nicer than one would expect of a hotel where the rate was $49 ...
I dined at the cafe in the casino, where the meal was great, considering it was only $9 for a nice piece of prime rib ...
The fact that I turned a $200 profit in under two hours at a blackjack table was a big plus ...

The biggest problems I found with this hotel were no email confirmation of the reservation ... if I hadn't copied the confirmation # and plugged it in at their site, I sould have had no clue if it was confirmed, even though the site said they would send a conf. email ...

Another issue was the lack of Wi-Fi ... nearly unforgivable in this day and age ...

The only other problem that I ran into was apparently due to the plumber who remodeled room #803 ... the bathroom sink had the hot and cold water lines reversed ... the knob had to go to the right for hot water, and to the left for cold ...

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank GToddK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Douglasville, Ga.
Reviewed 4 March 2008

Another great stay @ the Fitz. The tables were not as kind this trip but the hotel, food, and hospitality were great as usual. If you are looking for a great place to stay in Tunica, this is it.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Didn't win $$$. ha
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank AtlantaBry
Arkansas
Reviewed 19 February 2008

This was a nice hotel. However, we did have a problem with our room. I called the hotel and ask what was different in a Pullman Suite than in a regular room. I was told all the suites had been remodeled and they all had 2 flat screen tvs. We don't get out much so I booked a suite online because online the suite was $89 where calling the hotel they wanted $159. When we got to our room it clearly had not been remodeled. There was no flat screen tvs, all that was any different from a regular room was a sofa, coffee table. So I was being charged $30 extra for that. I called the front desk and was told that the suites I was told about were on the 5th floor and up, we were on the 3rd floor. She said they were all out of other suites and lowered our rate to $49. Wouldn't have been a big deal but we just didn't get what we had been promised. They also need to do a better job cleaning the rooms. Our shower had an old bottle of half full shampoo in it, there were candy wrappers under the bed, and you stuck to the bathroom floor like you had been glued to it.

On the upside! The bed was very comfortable. The food was great and we won $150 on the penny machines!

I would stay here again, we did have alot of fun. I will just get a regular room and ask for a higher floor. No more Pullman Suites for me!

• Liked — The casino and the food!
  • Disliked — Pullman Suite.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jnd951999
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 December 2007

Check in
We arrived at the hotel around 7pm and did not have to stand in line to check in at all. Check in went fairly smoothly although the person who checked me in did not want to cough up the free buffets that came with our offer along with our free nights. She finally did let us have them though. Our reservation was all messed up and they had us in a smoking room but we was able to get non smoking. One thing that did irritate me was that we asked for a newly renovated room and ask if a refrigerator was available and she told us she could do the room but housekeeping was out of refrigerators. Well, the renovated rooms all have them anyway and I though she should have know that.

Our Room

We had a newly renovated King room which was extremely nice. Fitzgeralds has replaced their beds with really nice new kings which are very comfy. It had a down comforter and oodles of very soft pillows. The tv was a flat screen hd tv which looked to be about a 36 inch and we had a view of the Mississippi river. We had a refrigerator and a coffe pot in the room. I will say this though, and I learned this information from the vegas site, be sure and wash the glassware in your room, they do not replace them between guests. I took dish soap after reading about this on the vegas forum and seeing the video and washed all of ours myself. The bathroom was fairly roomy but nothing spectacular and it was very clean. We had a table in our room with 2 chairs and another chair and ottoman. Everything was very classy in these new rooms.

I would like to say that housekeeping kept everything sparkling clean and there was plenty of staff cleaning including in the casino bathrooms where someone was stationed. However, we were short a coffee cup and when I called housekeeping to get one, they were kind of short with me. The lady who cleaned our room did find me another cup and about 45 minutes after that housekeeping sent on up so they are not the fastest.

We did not eat in the steakhouse as we have to wait almost 2 hours there last time and the place was almost empty but we had the buffet several times and the food was very good. the service in the dining room was good too. With the buffets that came with our room, the ones that came in our mailing, and the ones comped in the casino, we never paid for any of the food which was great.

Pool and Hot Tub

we went to the pool and was going to swim but the pool isn't really heated that warm so we opted for the hot tub instead which is a nice size hot tub. No children are allowed in the pool or the hot tub so it was very quiet but I dind't see any children in the hotel either on this trip.

Check out was a breeze!!!

To sum it all up, we had a great trip in a fabulous room that was basically free except for what we spent in the casino. We definately enjoy staying here and will go back in a few months so don't take any of the negatives in my review as a deal breaker. I was jsut being truthful.

• Liked — The rooms are nice
  • Disliked — the service really wasn't hat great in the hotel
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank walker_sam
tn
Reviewed 22 October 2007

I have been going to Tunica, MS for appx 6 years and the FITZ is the best. We recently tried to stay at another Casino (SAMS TOWN) just to see the difference and NO COMPARISON to the FITZ > I absoulutley love the renovations that the Fitz has done. There beds are out of this world comfortable. Staff friendly, comps great - For all you first timers be sure to see the Promotions booth and get your Fitz card, use the card each time you play and watch the comps come - Free Buffett, Free Steak House dinner, Free Rooms etc.... Easiest COMPS in Tunica !!!!

• Liked — The Beds were out of this world and the newly renovations to the hotel were great
  • Disliked — I wish the Casino would not change their slots around so much. I miss the old nickle machines
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank meshall
St. Charles,Mo.
Reviewed 18 October 2007

My husband and I just came back from celebrating our 10th anniversary at Fitz's. We had a great time. The remodeled rooms are fabulous!! We had stayed at Fitz's before and it was o.k. .But now the whole look has changed..The service was great .The buffett was good.We will defintely. return to Fitzgeralds for many more anniversarys.

5 Thank mcp_7
Arkansas
Reviewed 20 September 2007

I have to say that the Fitz is not only a great place to stay, it's also a very nice place to gamble! Out of all the other Casinos in Tunica, MS (which are ALL great by the way) this one would be the one for you if you don't really want to do a lot of tables (which there are roughly 13 diff tables including roulette, craps..etc) and are into slots & video poker! The Fitz has got 2 floors; the bottom is jam packed with MANY different types of slots and "video" style slots ranging from 1 cent to $5 as well as video poker. The bottom floor also houses the tables. The 2nd floor houses yet another huge selection of slots & video poker and also is the home of the restaurants which are VERY reasonably priced. The buffet, before 4 pm is only $8.95 USD per person! Also the staff is friendly and they always keep you happy with the complimentary drinks as long as you are playing. I got ZONKED! Some warnings...Bring your own smokes if you're a smoker as it's $6 USD per pack if you buy them at the machines. I'd use cash as much as possible instead of Debit/Credit as they charge between $1 and $3 per transaction at the restaurants and doesn't show on your reciept. Also don't use their ATM's as they charge a ridiculous amount...if you just want to get $100 it'll end up costing over $25 in fees...bring money ahead of time or do like me and my wife did and drive for 2 mins to the gas station and use their ATM which costs $2. Overall The Fitz is a place for the money-minded gambler because of all of it's penny and nickel machines that DO pay out just as much as the $5 & up machines anywhere else, depends on how long you're willing to sit there and play. - JM (AR)

• Liked — All around great
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple