“Beware of the Money Pit!”

Fitz Casino and Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It's rare that I will have a bad hotel experience but this one was bad. I choose this hotel for a nice getaway to Memphis for my Aunts birthday. This place was a waste of money! When I called the hotel to book a room I was told very rudely that the hotel was sold out only for me to find rooms online. I decided to upgrade the room for a bigger, nicer room is how they put it. If this was nicer then I would have hated to see the first room that I paid for. The room was not clean. There were hand marks on everything like nothing had been wiped down. The drawers were missing knobs, the refrigerator had scratches and dings all over it, and the floor was slanted like there is a foundation problem. When we saw the cleaning staff in the hallway we noticed that they went into our rooms with the do not disturb sign on the door. This was a big red flag to us that our items may not be safe. The staff didn't explain to us about our comps or any perks during our stay. I am a Las Vegas native so I thought the Fitzgerald brand would be a respectable place to stay and play, being that I have always enjoyed myself in Vegas. But I was wrong. This was bad. The slots were tight and if you did get a bonus they were not going to pay out much at all. People were getting more pleasure from the raffle drawings. I will look around next time I visit Tunica/Memphis. Don't waste your time or money with this place. The buffet breakfast was a waste of money. There are so many other options just miles away.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the elevators
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Toya B

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I was in Tunica, Mississippi on a golf outing with my friends some of us stayed in different locations. I stayed at the Fitzgerald casino. The accommodations were adequate for me because I was there to play golf and didn't have my wife along. The room was a little dated without the normal things like mini , microwave oven or flat screen tv. The staff was friendly except for one clerk. Would I stay here again probably not only if nothing else was available.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Golferman54
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Mu husband and I booked a night just to get away and to spend quality time together. I asked for a renovated room but staff said I had a nice room and none was available. We was on the 5th floor. As soon as we walked in my husband knew we couldn't stay. There was hair all over the bath towels. Hair in the bed. Couch and TV stand was so old and dirty. I didn't even feel comfortable sitting anywhere. I went to manger and asked for a better room. She had an attitude and put in the room next door. I was just as bad. That room had a bug crawling in the bed. We decided to go to buffet and play a little. After we got back I was cold so I told my husband to turn on the heat for a minute. Well it started smoking and smelled like burnt metal. The fire alarm in the room even went off. We got our bags and turned in our keys to leave. I talked to the manager and told her both rooms was nasty and asked could she do a return or something for us. She replied no and still had an attitude. Do not stay here. We went to another hotel and it was 100% better.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Fina101
Reviewed 1 August 2014

From the outside the hotel looks nice. Since it was a comp room meaning free since I spent money in the casino; you use the players club card every time you gamble on the slot machines they send you rewards. I requested a microwave in the room cause I was staying 4 days and did not want to spent money for food since I spent money in their casino, I brought my own food. Three times I requested a frig and microwave. Finally I went to the manager and they said they had no frig or microwave available. They should have called me 4 hours ago to let me know that. The pool was nice but the hot tub was dirty, the water was murky and smelt nasty. House keeping was nice and brought me extra towels and shower gels, soaps and shampoo plus coffee. I won't expect to spend more money then I should there. Guess you get want you paid for and I paid nothing except slots.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank babiluv4u65
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here on the first night of a week-long trip to Tunica (our first), and might have felt it was a decent value had we not also visited the competition. The staff were all quite friendly, the whole place was reasonably clean, and offered all of the amenities one would expect for this sort of property. Nonetheless, we will not be staying there again.

As is usual for a hotel in this price range, the quality of the accommodations were a mixed bag. Our room was mostly clean, fresh and updated, but a couple of oddities stood out. For instance, the slats of the Venetian blinds were extremely dusty, and one layer of curtains was missing -- but the track was still there, and the control rods from the missing curtains were scattered across the window opening.

The bathroom was clean and up-to-date, with good water pressure. As with every hotel in the area, the water is extremely hard -- certainly not the Fitz's fault, but it was the only negative on the bathroom. The bed was quite comfortable, with a new-ish pillow top mattress and a beautiful white spread. Unfortunately, the threadbare coverlet, which was obviously intended to tie in with the broken curtains and half-executed medieval Irish "theme" of the place, detracted from the otherwise beautiful bed linens. The coverlet also went well with the ancient CRT television and the well-worn wooden hutch that held it.

Our biggest complaint about the hotel itself is the Wi-Fi. It costs $11 per 24 hours, per device! In theory, we would have had to pay up to $44 per night if we wanted to connect both of our laptops and both of our phones to the Internet. We declined on all counts, despite the fact that Sprint coverage was virtually non-existent in our room (though we had a cellular signal in the casino and outside). We chose The Fitz because the price was about $10 cheaper than a couple of other places, but once you factor in the free Wi-Fi at the Gold Strike (where we stayed later in the week) for instance, Fitzgerald's is not really that great a deal.

The casino itself is average. New Players Club members receive two scratch-off tickets which will each most likely yield ten bucks in free slot play. The second one can't be scratched off or redeemed until noon the next day. There aren't very many table games, so slots are the main attraction. There are a few video poker machines at the bar and in a little alcove near the snack bar, but they are all in pretty sad shape.

We ate at the buffet twice. On Monday, the price was $7 for each of us (all day long), and on Wednesday, we took advantage of my dubious status as a 50-year-old "Senior." Between the Wednesday "Senior" price of $5 and the spin of a "Senior" wheel at the players club desk, we both ate for a total of five bucks. We agreed that we wouldn't have paid any more for the buffet, which was not quite as good as your average Golden Corral or Ryan's buffet. Despite serving one of the best pork chops either of us has ever had, the overall selection and quality were pedestrian. Had we paid anywhere near the full price, we would have been highly disappointed, but for a total of $19 for four meals, we feel that we almost got our money's worth. Almost.

We could probably have overlooked any or all of these flaws at The Fitz if only they hadn't violated our trust through a highly deceptive marketing practice. All over town, there are billboards promoting a "$39 Bed and Breakfast" deal, which includes a room and breakfast buffet. The same deal is posted prominently on their Web site. The problem is, it doesn't really exist. If you inquire about it, the standard answer is "Oh, that doesn't start until October." If that is the case, then they shouldn't be advertising it in July and, I assume, all year round. That alone is sufficient reason for us to take our future business elsewhere. With so many other (mostly better) options in town, why should we place our trust in a casino where we have to constantly wonder what other underhanded tactics they may be using in an attempt to get our money? Big fail.

Room Tip: There is an extra charge of $10/night for a room with a view of the nearby Mississippi River. We opt...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Joe Z
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We arrived very early since we had a red eye flight. I called the hotel when we landed to see if there was an chance of checking in early, I was told we would be able to check in at noon. We arrived around 11am and checked with the front desk to see if noon was still a realistic time and we were told it was. After spending an hour in the casino we dragged out tired bodies back to the desk where we encountered the rudest front desk staff I have ever encountered. He very loudly told me check in time is between 3-5 and our room wouldn't be ready until 5pm. I reminded him the website states check in is 3pm and I expected our 2 rooms to be ready by then. Horrible experience and while I understand we were asking for an early check in there was no reason to be rude and push our check in time back as far as possible.
The rooms were dirty, run down and not worth the $130.00 a night we paid. More in line with a 1990's Motel 6 then a chain casino hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lostone65
Reviewed 18 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com