“Several other nicer places to stay- very diappointed”

Hollywood Casino Tunica Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
N/a
“Several other nicer places to stay- very diappointed”
Reviewed 21 January 2007

The casino is like all the others in the area and not the nicest on either. The food was okay. The set up of the rooms is okay, however; very noisy. I realize that many do not sleep while they are visiting so plan accordingly. ,All noise from the hallway is very loud. You can hear doors shutting and people coming down the hall all night long-- like they are in the room with you. After a sleepless, night, I got in the shower so I could check out and find somewhere else to stay and there were dirty towels and washclothes left hanging of the shower curtain. I now question the cleaning of the entire room. The did cut my "Saturday night" rate down after my complaint but the manager on duty was very rude about it and acted as if she was not surprised and blamed me for not reporting the dirty towels earlier. I guess they expect you to look the room over well when you check in. Investigate other casinos in the area. There are many to choose from!

• Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank tnfan1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Hampstead, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 November 2006

ROOMS

The rooms are of average size as are the bathrooms. The room contains an in-room safe. The lighting is very dim. The bed was very comfortable.

Housekeeping was inefficient. When we checked in, a lamp had a burnt out bulb. We left the bulb for housekeeping, who saw us later in the corridor, acknowledged the bulb, and said it would be replaced. It was never replaced during our four-night stay. One day housekeeping made the bed but did not empty the trash. Because of the apparent inefficiency of housekeeping, my wife did some checking: The shower-tub has a rubber bathmat. When my wife looked underneath it, she found that it contained mold.

DÉCOR

The hotel décor is a delight for fans of Hollywood, especially the golden age. The lobby, restaurants, guest rooms, casino, rest rooms, etc are adorned with photos and memorabilia. Some memorabilia and photos are scrupulously labeled, but many of the large photographs are not.

CASINO

For Video Poker players the casino has only three full-pay video poker machines. I was talking to a local couple who told me that there used to be a lot more but the payouts were recently changed. There was also no single deck $5 blackjack. My wife and I resolved the problem by driving to the Sheraton to gamble. The casino is bright. Like all casinos in Tunica, it’s smoky.

FOOD

The coffee shop [Hollywood Diner] is inexpensive with good food and ample portions. It does NOT have a non-smoking area. It’s open 24 hours.

Restaurant reviews are, of course, subjective and I realize this fact as I discuss the buffet.

The buffet rivals the best of Las Vegas, Tunica, and Atlantic City. I didn’t think they could top the Thursday night steak & crab legs buffet until they outdid themselves on Friday with the lobster buffet. I expected to get a ticket for one lobster, but in fact the only restriction is that you must take only one at a time. Boiled pound-and-a-quarter Maine lobsters. If you’re not a fan of the specialty of the night, the other choices seem endless. I won’t even get into all the desserts. It’s called the Epic Buffet and it lives up to its name. For those who appreciate high-quality sumptuous buffets, don’t miss it.

LOCATION

Hollywood is in a cluster with Resorts and Sam’s Town. It’s an easy walk to Resorts and a 15 minute walk to Sam’s Town, so maybe Sam’s Town is a short drive instead.

INTERNET ACCESS

We did not bring a laptop computer, so I cannot comment on in-room internet access. However, there is no business center where a guest can access the internet from a hotel-supplied computer..

SUMMARY

Come here often for the buffet and the décor. Go elsewhere for a room.

• Liked — Epic Buffet
  • Disliked — A tie -- poorly lightedt rooms/Housekeeping
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sanamarl

Travellers are raving about these Tunica hotels

Good Hope, Georgia
Reviewed 31 August 2006

This is a great casino if you're looking for a more relaxed atmosphere. It is less crowded than the big boys up the road which in return, makes the comps a lot easier to get. It's super clean and most of the staff is great. The buffet and the Cafe leave a little to be desired but the Steak house is excellent.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank ajpeppers
rowlett
Reviewed 4 April 2006

We stayed at the Hollywood Casino Hotel March 12-14.We were very pleased with our stay! Both of the nights we stayed we were comped. We were also comped for our food. The rooms were very nice! Everyone was very friendly! The only complaint we had was the machines were very tight those two days!

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank charlotte1920
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 March 2006

We went to Tunica this Month, and stayed the weekend, The room's were a lot more than usuall, but I alway's loved to play at Hollywood so we decided to stay thier, a couple of the worker's were very rude, and would not help in any way- but the casino and the room's, were nice, and cannot complain about them, the resturant was just ok. I will play thier but were not sure if we will ever stay thier again.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 February 2006

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay (2/17-2-20) in Tunica at the Hollywood Casino and Hotel. This was our first trip to Tunica and we truly enjoyed our stay. The hotel at Hollywood exceeded our expectations. Our room included: king size bed, table, chaise lounge, TV, refrigerator, coffee maker and safe. The bathroom included a hairdryer and Neutrogena bath products. The décor of the room was very contemporary and included classic black and white photos of Hollywood stars. The room was spotless and the bathroom appeared to have a recent update complete with Kohler faucet and granite counter. As for hotel service, I can’t give much of a review. During our stay Tunica experienced a winter storm, including ice, leaving many hotel workers stranded at home. It was difficult to determine how well the service could have been if full work staff had been present. Check-in was a breeze and we immediately headed for the casino.

The setup of the casino is very open including tons of Hollywood memorabilia. The casino is located on 1 level but the ceiling was 2 stories so the casino appeared to be larger than it was. There are 2 bars: the Safari Bar which houses a stage, giant TV screen and table seating and the Box Office Bar which has several TVs and seating around the bar area. Drinks were fairly strong and of course free. As for the slots: we played almost every penny and nickel machine in the casino and had great luck. We played a few dollar machines and lost. My husband also sat down at a poker table one night and walked away with a nice amount! The casino was not very smoky and provided coffee, cappuccino and soda at your disposal. Overall after 3 days of intense time in the casino we walked away up $20 with a ton of comps for food and gift shop items, (our room was already comped by a friend)

Food: Hollywood offers 3 restaurants – Epic Buffet, Hollywood Diner and Fairbanks. We did not eat at Fairbanks but it appeared to be an upscale steakhouse with a pretty nice menu. We ate breakfast at the buffet each morning and 2 times for dinner. On Friday night the buffet included whole lobster which was cooked to perfection. Overall the buffet was pretty good – with the exception of Friday night when it was spectacular. The Hollywood Diner was also pretty good – nice portion sizes and menu variety.

During our stay we visited Sam’s Town, Gold Strike, Horseshoe and the Sheraton’s casinos. Gold Strike appears to have the greatest variety of slots and the Horseshoe had the most table games. Both the Sheraton and Sam’s Town were alright but we liked Hollywood the best. We really enjoyed our stay at Hollywood and would highly recommend them to anyone!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hot Springs, AR
Reviewed 5 February 2005

I loved the casino! It is so clean and well taken care of, very secure and the floor waitresses, hosts, security etc. were very good...to be commended for their jobs well done!... The hotel rooms were very clean and nice.......loved my stay & I even won several jackpots too...

25 Thank Jan Sanders R