“Good Choice!”

Gold Strike Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Tunica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I stayed at the Gold Strike Casino Resort in Tunica for 1 night on Thurs, Dec 11th and again for 1 night on Saturday, Dec 13th --- and was not disappointed! During my first visit, I was given a room on the 10th floor, and during my second visit, I was on the 18th floor --- The two rooms were identical.

The rooms were clean and spacious with good lighting, a coffee maker, an alarm clock, a Philips flat screen TV, an iron & ironing board, a hair dryer, an in--room safe, and a super comfortable bed.

The bathroom was large and the shower had a nice showerhead and good water pressure.

The hotel charges a $5 resort fee which includes such things as two water bottles (in your room) and access to the fitness center --- and a great fitness center at that!! Lots of cardio and weight machines, three flat screen TVs, and complimentary water bottles and apples.

While in Tunica, I visited all 9 of the casinos (Gold Strike, Horseshoe, Sheraton, Hollywood, Sam's Town, Resorts, Harrah's, Bally's, and Fitzgeralds) and the next time that I'm in town, I would be happy to stay at Gold Strike again. If they were sold out or the price was too high, the Horseshoe (which is right next door) seems like it would be a good option as well. The hotel seemed nice and the casino was a lot of fun!

Speaking of the casinos, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how awesome the dealers in Tunica are. I've gambled in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Atlantic City, New Orleans, Biloxi, Niagara Falls, and a ton of cruise ships --- and I've never encountered such incredibly nice, laid back, cool Craps dealers in my life!

I hope to return to Tunica someday and stay at either the Gold Strike or Horseshoe hotel & casinos.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank monte94
Write a ReviewReviews (2,692)

Reviewed 29 November 2008

This trip was comped. Room was at the end of hall, farthest from elevators. Window faced a cement wall. 24 hr advertised room service, cafe and gift shop all closed at 11pm. Bedspread has stains on it, we called maid service at 1pm, when we left room, telling them they could clean room. When we returned at 1am room had not been cleaned.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank zoro51
Reviewed 15 November 2008

We celebrated my 50th birthday at this casino and from the first day to the last, everything was great. Quick check in and a lovely room on the 28th floor. Luxurious king bed with wonderful mattress, nice bathroom, flat tv. Not a suite but for the money you couldn't ask for more. We dined at the steak house the first night. Pricey but again you get what you pay for - make sure to ask for Frank as your waiter! Meal was wonderful and had to ask for a container because the steaks were so big! Casino has a bar with a band that each night was terrific. Free drinks while you play at the bar which is becoming less and less these days. Slots were fair and you just need to know when to take your winnings home (which we never do). Saw Phil Vassar in concert and were comp'd tickets. When they heard it was by 50th, the waitress actually brought out a goblet with good wine (instead of the house wine) while I was playing the slots. Free valet parking and walking distance to the Sheraton and Horseshoe Casinos. If ever in Tunica, I will certainly come back. All we needed to do was ask, and we received. Staff did a great job!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank redburgundy69
Reviewed 2 November 2008

It is a 40 mins drive from MEM to this casino. The casino is located besides Horseshoe and Sheraton. Valet is free. Upon entering the hotel, it smells like smoke. However, it was clean and spacious. I booked it for a poker room rate because my fiance plays poker. The rate is cheap for 75 dollars per night. You have to play minimum of 5 hours. He also joined the tournament. We got a room at the 23rd floor. No views except the back parking space and the river. The room is new. It can compete with the likes of Borgata with it's design. The room is clean. There is no luxurious toiletries, unfortunately but it can do for our mini get-away. There is a coffeemaker and a flat screen tv. They did not have any King bed so we settled for a double bed. The only downfall of this hotel is the internet connection. you have to go downstairs by the foodcourt to connect which really sucked a lot because I love to use my computer while being comfortable in bed and with no smoke. Food is ok and cheap. This is cheaper than the horseshoe casino buffet. The service is good. Pool is adequate. Unfortunately, when i tried the spa, they relocated it to one of the biggest suite. I got the packaged but I think it was over priced thinking it was only done in a regular room. Service was ok. I can do it at home. Anyways, Im glad we did not pay full price for this hotel. I recommend it though for your stay in Tunica. Not bad.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank herleiness
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Booked Gold Strike due to price and location to other casinos. Reading reviews didn’t know what to expect. Check in was I thought 4pm. They were a little behind on the time but very friendly. There is a resort fee of a couple $ a day but that included the pool/gym, a newspaper if requested, and the bottled water in the room. I was on the 22 floor and friends on 30. Both rooms were redone and in great shape and clean. Mattress was pillow top or something and way too soft for me. Indoor pool and hot tubs were small and older but clean. Very small gym, never saw anyone in there thought. Food selection was ok. Buffet was so/so. The Atrium was nice, not too bad price and quality wise. The staff at most areas were great. At least 90% of the people working there made sure to make eye contact ,greet you and wish you good luck playing.
The only place to avoid is the food court. Prices as high as the atrium but quality of food and service was terrible. Asking around the food court is not run by the hotel. You can tell.

The crowd is older. Seems mostly bus tours of retired people. I am from South Florida and forgot that old people are nice and friendly. It was so refreshing to see people with manners that greet you and are polite. It took me a while to get used to people greeting you with a smile and kind word every time you got on an elevator. Weekend are busy, seems a lot of locals come out. You can smoke in all the casinos so they do smell of smoke a bit more than in Vegas. Drink service was spotty at times. Still better than I usually got in Vegas.

Not a big gambler but I was still able to get a few comps at the buffet. They never did explain how the comps work but when I asked if I had enough for breakfast at the buffet they said no but would give me one anyway.

Location is good next to the Horseshoe and Sheraton. Very short walk between them. There is no longer a free shuttle between casinos. The Horseshoe does run a free shuttle to Harrahs every half hour or so. It really is in the middle of nowhere. Took about 45 minutes to Elvis’s home and the same up to Beale Street.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Frankfla
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Stayed in a large, king size room that had been recently renovated. Very nice bedding and plasma tv. The remote control did not work, but I called the front desk and within 10 minutes someone came up and fixed the problem. Closet contained a safe, a nice feature. Coffee pot only made one cup at a time. Limited television channels. Nice work out room but a very small swimming pool. Very helpful concierge.

Outside of the resort, there is not much to do. Very limited fast food restaurants and almost no shopping venues (other than the nearly deserted Casino Factory Shoppe outlets).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank maxtonio
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My husband and I have never been to this casino, let alone in Mississippi. We were pleasantly surprised at how quickly we checked in (we had VIP status) and enjoyed our gambling experience. Everyone was courteous and friendly. Our room was nice and clean, and everything was updated. Gorgeous marble bathroom and hallway. The room had beautiful decor and the toiletries smelled awesome. I enjoyed the spa and pool area, although I would have enjoyed an outdoor pool (for which will be created soon). The food at the Chicago Steakhouse was incredible and so were the snack food areas (pizza, burger and deli). The Atrium Cafe was also very good along with the buffet. Our overall gaming experience was superb. The pit bosses were very nice, along with the dealers. They put alot of pep into the game to make it more enjoyable, making you not want to leave the table. I would definately come back to this resort again. I don't have anything negative to say about it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple