“mid week lunch”
Review of The Countryman Inn

The Countryman Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Langdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2013

have not been here for awhile and as there had been some big hyp about the new restaurant we thought that we would give it a go. Lunch time menu is not much different, ordered chicken with sweet chilli and tzatsiki dressing sandwich, which was very nice. However had to wait 35 minutes for two sandwiches. There was a group of about 10 people, but its a big place and should be able to cope with this number without keeping others waiting. Would we rush back to try other dishes - probably not.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Had a lovely meal in the new restaurant and the ribs and desert was amazing. Enjoyed the cheese board and being able to relax in the bar after the meal. Breakfast was good and the atmosphere unhurried which was perfect to unwind after a busy week.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Suited what I wanted.Overnight stay on the way to Penzance.Room was clean shower hot good breakfast...Walls a bit thin.Could hear them next door.But thats just being picky...Thought it was going to be difficult to find.But quite easy really....Be warned it's out of town.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Norman C
Reviewed 29 April 2013

With the arrival of a new chef the Countryman has introduced a Sunday carvery. The pub was buzzing with customers ranging in age from babes in arms to those more sedate couples.

We were quickly served with a generous amount of turkey (beef and lamb also available) and ehelped ourselves from a huge range of superbly cooked vegetables. There were at least seven different choices from leeks in mustard, red cabbage to broccoli.

Its worth booking a table if you want to eat here on Sunday lunchtime as many locals have started using and enjoying a break from cooking at the weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I had stayed away from the countryman after bad service and food but I heard that a new chef had been employed so I decided to to give it another go. Well what a difference a proper chef makes! I would certainly recommend the pub now and have been very impressed, so much so that I have dined there three times in the last couple of weeks.

Do not expect fast food service as the quality of the starters and main courses look and taste all freshly prepared. The olives are marinated on site and the beef olives for starters are delicious. I had the mackerel on one visit which was fantastic the only thing was that there was too much and I could not eat it all. Very good value for money if you like big portions.
I have also had their Caesar salad which was gorgeous with loads of anchovies, a real classic that was made really well. I also recommend the whole lemon sole which was beautifully cooked and came with lots of fresh vegetables. Observing the other dishes that people were ordering it all looked really good.
The service was good and I felt really looked after even the chef came out to ask if we were happy, what a nice touch.
Overall really happy with my experience and I will be returning.
The only complaint I would have was that I was a little cold and having the log fire lit would have been nice and some attention to the decor is needed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My wife, 2 year old son and dog all had a thoroughly enjoyable overnight stay at this rather inviting pub. Ok the room was a little basic, albeit very well sized and clean, you really should provide more than one coffee cup and spoon. This said the level of service received especially from Richard, ( I believe he may have been the Manager) was second to none, He was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our meals were Delicious, The Glazed Belly Pork was possibly the best pub food I have ever tasted and the Chardonnay was Chilled! What more one ask for!
Well done all, we will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Where do I start? We booked here months in advance for my dad's 60th having been here before with family travelling from London for this occasion.

The table was for ten. When i asked for drinks, i was told to go to the bar as they wanted to get the food out (which arrived an hour later).

After being there two hours the food arrived! Hooray I hear you say! Sadly not! It was poor at best. Out of six steaks the only one that was cooked as ordered was the well done one, which was cold! The chips were obviously two batches mixed together with one batch burnt and the other under cooked!

When I complained that my steak was not what I ordered, I was asked to cut into another to see if that was the one!

A table of four walked out after an hour and another large party also had poor service and burnt food, with 25% of their bill. We refused to eat the food offered and refused to pay.

They kindly decided not to charge us for the two rounds of drinks that we had. This was a nice gesture, but doesn't make up for having two hungry kids and a dash to Tesco at 10pm and a ruined 60th birthday for my dad.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Rob L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langdon
Arundell Arms Hotel
#2 of 12 in Launceston
Dorset Farm
Dorset Farm
#4 of 12 in Launceston

Been to The Countryman Inn? Share your experiences!