“Great Park and Location”

Buccaneer State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Waveland
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family (we have three teenage kids) spent five days in Buccaneer. We had site 138 in Treasure Cove loop and it was a perfect location for us-shaded and a quieter loop than the others - Jean Lafitte, Pirates Cove, Barataria Bay and Long John Silver loops were full of young families with kids all over the place having fun on bicycles, running around- very crazy. The park location was great and centrally located for day trips to New Orleans, Swamp Tours, Oak Alley Plantation, Gulfport/Biloxi and more. The best part is the park is right next to the beach - which is absolutely beautiful and clean!! The beach basically runs from the campground entrance all the way to Biloxi. When the tide goes out you can easily walk about 200 yards out in shallow water of the Gulf- my kids loved this... ADVICE - use Google Earth to pick a site and you will be very happy you stayed at Buccaneer

13  Thank MKJourneys

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our 1st visit to this park, actually any park in Mississippi. Our parking pad had an 8" drop off from the pad to the ground on the side with the door. We have 3 steps on our RV and the bottom one was 16" off the ground when we lowered them. (Had to go buy a small step stool). This distance was also just enough that our folding step stool that my husband uses to attached the support brace on our electric awning was not tall enough...had to go buy a taller one. We have a high-end sewer hook-up system with a 90 degree dump valve which we have used at campgrounds everywhere... but not here. Their hook-up is in a concrete mound like contraption at about a 30 degree angle so ours would not fit. (Had to go buy another type hook-up) The grill was so close to the parking pad that when we let out awning out the grill was under the corner. After a trip to Walmart to purchase items to rectify these problems we decided to go to the pool. That's when we really had a shock.....you have to pay to swim. We had our 4 grandsons so it was right at $25.....that is every day!!! My husband and I were not going to swim but they still require you to pay. As my husband was handing the "state employee" the money I just happen to ask what time the pool closed and he said 6:00....it was 5:30. Can you believe that....HE WAS ACTUALLY TAKING OUR $25 KNOWING THE POOL CLOSED IN 30 MINUTES. It closes at 6:00 everyday, so you can't go visit nearby attractions, come back and grill burgers then take the kids to the pool. This is the Gulf Coast....it doesn't get dark until 8:00. Most campgrounds we have visited have their pools open until 9:00. This park was unlike anything we have ever experienced.....and not in a good way. The park had tons of people on golf carts, which is fine if it is controlled, these were not. People were flying on them. The park is not well lit after dark and therefore dangerous if you are trying to walk around the area. We saw several near misses and a lot of angry campers. The ONLY positive thing I can say is they do have their check-in process designed very well. However, that is not enough to make us ever go again. I can't comment about the water park because we did not visit it. We did hear mostly negative remarks from our camping neighbors so I'm glad we didn't spend $102 on another disappointment.

8  Thank Alesiagah
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We drove down for a day at the beach, (minus the sand). The waterpark was small but very nice and had great views of the gulf. The facilities were great, air conditioned bathrooms, the changing area was just an open area, but there were plenty of stalls. The wavepool was big enough to handle the crowd. We were there when it opened and it didn't really get crowded till after lunch which was when we were ready to leave anyway. plenty of shaded areas! The snack bar was convenient and reasonable. My family and I enjoyed our day.

3  Thank tklwood
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The cleaning staff at this park should be fired! I just returned from a week long stay at the park and was very disappointed. The women's shower house is gross. There is a sheet hanging on the door that shows several cleanings per day, but the same ponytail holders, clumps of hair, and piles of sand that were present on my 1st day were there on my last. I saw a cleaning person go in for 3 minutes and when he left, the shower house smelled strongly of cleaning liquid, but nothing was clean. I'm almost positive he threw liquid cleaner on the floor and left. There was never soap at the sinks, and the outlets didn't work. The trash can at our campsite was overflowing several times. The park is not well lit at night. 3 times I tried to buy ice, and they were out. They charge campers for the small, shallow pool. And the beaches in Waveland are full of trash. Spend the extra time in the car and drive to Florida State Parks.

6  Thank maggief487
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We brought our kids for the first time here to show them how a water park would be and it was Awesome the bomb!!!!

It helped to show the small ones if they like waterskides and heights...

Then in the wave pool that they can handle hard waves and they loved being on the ground not so much the slides!!!!

Did not waste a lot of money very affordable to see what they enjoy will be back many times thanks!!!!

1  Thank Olivemae

Been to Buccaneer State Park? Share your experiences!