Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m
US$60
US$54
Premier Inn Durham (Newton Aycliffe) Hotel(Newton Aycliffe)(Great Value!)
US$81
PremierInn.com
US$40
US$116
US$90
  • Pool
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$93
US$90
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspetrol stationlarge showerexecutive roomnewton aycliffecoach partysized bedevening mealfree wifiovernight stoptwo nightsthe ground floorbuffet breakfastwould stay againshower roomcoach tripcar parklovely room
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel back in February when it was called Aston Hall and was part of the Aston group of hotels. In the meantime it has obviously been bought by the owners of Holiday Inn (IHG). Ok so there was no problem with the booking but no - one had bothered to inform or ask me if I knew about the change. In fact the first we knew about it was when my wife was looking for the facilities about a week before. Yes they did have both my phone number and e - mail at the time of booking so no excuse there.
On arrival we were offered the opportunity to join the loyalty club and given the room key. The room was good size but only 1 set of towels for 2 people and the kettle did not work. These matters were resolved quite quickly. Bed was large and comfortable but the quilt was much too thick for the time of year leaving the choice of too cold without and too warm with it. First day breakfast was good with quite a wide choice but on the second day different staff and poor, even though we were the same time there were no pancakes on offer and they ran out of grilled tomatoes. The ladle for the mushrooms had been used in the baked beans and the first member of staff (after asking in the back) claimed there were no more. Even though one did appear a short time later.
These were pointed out to the duty manager who did apologise and promised to look further into matters.
The only other issue was the free Wi - Fi was fiddly and difficult to get on to and slow when you did get through the layers.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies that you were not contacted prior to our rebranding to the Holiday Inn Darlington North. We contacted as many of our guests as possible but must have inadvertently missed you, please accept my assurances that this was not deliberate.

As you stated we became a Holiday Inn at the end of February but have not been bought over by the Holiday Inn we are still owned, run and staffed by the existing team.Thank you for alerting us to the issues you had on breakfast we really do welcome constructive feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve the service we are offering to our valued guests.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night ahead of a cycle race. Good location next to motorway. 24 hr McDonalds and a petrol station. Hotel has a bar and restaurant. Rooms were hot and stuffy. I was sure the website said "air conditioning". Front desk said the rooms only had air refreshers! Not the best sleep- too hot.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I would like to apologise for the incorrect information that you received from the desk. We do have air conditioning and it sounds like your unit was faulty which does happen from time to time. The least that we should have done for you would have been to give you a fan to help that night. I have spoken to the team to make sure that if there are any faulty units these are reported immediately so we can fix the problem. Many thanks again for your feedback and once again please accept my sincerest apologies.

Pat MacInnes

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Surprisingly modern and trendy inside after refit, food ok, rooms ok far enough away from A1 to off an element of quietness yet only two minutes from the main junction - staff try hard, would recommend, better than standard travel Inn/lodge. Good meeting spot.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank monkeyhan
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is great to hear that you consider us to be a good meeting point. As a full service Holiday Inn hotel we are pleased that you rank us to be of much better quality than the limited service brands you mentioned. Once again thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed there for one night visiting friends. It's so close to the A1 motorway and having a MacDonalds next door was a real bonus. We booked an Executive room on the ground floor. The wing had just been recently refurbished and looks amazing in comparison with the other Holiday Inns I've been to. The staff were nice and very helpful, and there was complimentary internet. The breakfast selection was really good and was pleasantly surprised to find USB charging ports on the restaurant tables.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that have been refurbished, from what I understand the refurbishment is in stages so you might get an old style room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tafadzwa T
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. We are all very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

stayed here last night (30/07/2014) i got there with my three children, who are 6, 5 and 13 weeks. both my 5 and 6 yr olds have autism and had to have clear instruction to do anything at all. anyhow....i walked in carrying my 13 week baby in his car seat plus two large holdalls and a laptop, my 5 and 6 year old had their trunkie between them so we checked in with "Emma" who checked us in no problem but NEVER asked if i'd like a hand with my things, she never even offered to get somebody else to help us (i can understand if she cant leave reception) but no, nothing. so then i had to open 4 fire doors myself carrying baby plus luggage which i thought was really out of order (I also have a broken radial bone in my arm aswell but as mums do... i managed.) "Emma" Never smiled the whole time we were there to be honest. what a face to see when you walk in somewhere!
The hotel itself is ok, not well signposted from the a1 but its ok. the breakfast was good, and we got a nice big room for us 5, (my husband joined us after work)
The hotel's nice, so are the breakfast staff. try bypass reception. Would maybe stay again but won't hold back my thoughts on useless staff next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Emma1487
patmacinnes, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington - North A1m, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Emma1487, Thank you for taking the time to write such a frank review of our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you were happy with the room you were allocated.Please accept my apologies if you felt your welcome was not as warm as it should have been. The hotel is very well known for having happy, friendly staff so I was most concerned to hear that you did not experience this from our receptionist. It is true that she was on shift on the desk by herself but we should always offer assistance at all times. Your comments are very helpful to us and I will ensure that these are actioned. Once again many thanks.