“Perfect getaway for anniversary”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Perfect getaway for anniversary”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We decided to stay at the Hall Garth to celebrate our Anniversary as it wasn't too far away from home but far enough to be able to unwind. The location is ideal just off the A1 making the Hotel easy to find. We arrived early PM and were greated by very pleasant staff who made us feel at ease immediatelly, we were given all the information needed to help us make the most of our stay. We were shown to our room (room 3) and we were very impressed with the standard of the room which was traditional with a modern twist. The chocolates and wine were very much appreciated and the 4 poster bed was enormous. We visited the Health Club and spent the afternoon relaxing in the Sauna, Steam Room and Pool. The facilities were clean and the staff were very friendly. We used the restaurant for our evening meal which was very pleasant the food was excellent. The menu catered for all tastes with lots of wines to choose from to accompany the meal. Breakfast was also excellent with Full English and Continental options available. The service in the resteraunt was professional and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
We had a lovely stay at the Hall Garth and would highly recommend it !!

• Stayed June 2012
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Jody E
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay at HallGarth Hotel to celebrate your Anniversary.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback regarding your stay and the facilites and service you enjoyed.
I do hope we have the ooportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Hotel General

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I booked this hotel due to the brilliant offer they currently run for dinner,bed and breakfast as a birthday surprise for my partner.

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable however we were hugely let down as I had previously upgraded our room to the royal oak suite however, when checking in they had no recollection of this. I was very upset by this as I was trying to make our evening as special as possible, the receptionist told me there was nothing she could do but give us a standard room however another member of staff suggested to swap our room so we could have a four poster room. Although this wasn't the suite we booked, the room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. However, we were above the kitchen so from the hours of 6pm-12am and 7am all we could hear was pots and pans banging along with the shouting of the kitchen staff.

The hotel itself is pleasant, the food is good however I felt it was just good pub food and nothing special. The hotel has so much potential to be fantastic, the staff were brilliant and the gentleman who runs the waiting staff is fantastic. However there was lots of little things that let the hotel down, (chipped and dirty teacups was not nice over breakfast).

Although I have been quite critical this is a good overall hotel as they have good money saving offers, the reason i am so critical as I believe this hotel could become a fine country hotel if small changes were made and more attention was brought to presentation.

Room Tip: Room7 is four poster but above the kitchen, very loud.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear NCTravel 9
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review on our site. We do take all customer feedback very seriously as this is the only way we can strive to improve the service and facilites we offer, we continually review and discuss standards and proceedures.
Please accept my apologies for the mix up with your room allocation I will certainly follow this up. I am pleased a staff member was able to try and smooth the situation by offering you a 4 poster room.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding Unsal, I have passed these on to him and also asked him to address the chipped cups. I can assure you these have been dealt with!
Attention to detail is so important

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just back from a weekend break at this lovely property. A great location, just of the A1, means that this is a great base for all the wonderful visitor attractions and walks in North Yorks and Co Durham. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel extremely welcome by every member of staff (special thanks to Shirley in the Restaurant, for her great tourist information tips and wonderful, friendly service!).

We dined both nights in the restaurant and the menu was imaginative, presentation and service were fantastic and the food was of a very high standard with a full and varied wine list available.

The bedroom was split level and felt like a private apartment - lovely tradtional decor with a fire place (Room 42), very comfortable furniture and very nice furnishings. The bathroom was clean and big enough for two getting ready at the same time!

Just another note, there was a large wedding taking place during our stay, but our experience was in no way compromised by this, with all staff being just as visible and doing an excellent job as if we were the only people in-house!

All in all, I would highly recommended this property; it's a little gem and I can't wait to go back there as soon as I can!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Gareth Worldspan
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on our site. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and the facilites so much. I will pass on your kind comments to all the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Cirencester, Glos,UK
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night after a slow, miserable, long and wet journey. Delighted to be find hotel close to the A1,easy to find and park.Staff were welcoming, and as we almost at last orders in the restaurant, called them to say we had arrived and would be there soon.
Spacious, interesting room, on two levels, complete with crisp bed linen and quality bath towels.
Bottle of Prosecco and box of chocolates in the room.
Dinner was enjoyable in a traditional dining room - wasn't fond of the empty wine bottle decor(probably a 'me' thing).
Breakfast was good, the best poached eggs and professional but friendly service. Will definitely stay again, £119, dinner, bed, breakfast, chocs and Prosecco..great value.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Cyberce
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on our site. I am pleased that you found our location convenient being so close to the A1(M).
I am delighted we were able to accommodate your late arrival in the WineGlass restaurant.
We do take all customers comments very seriously, I will pass on your constructive feedback to all the staff.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Although there was a slight mix up with the reservation this was quickly resolved. the staff are really friendly and the breakfast is excellent.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others, ours number 38 was a smaller room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear JaneenD
Thank you for your recent review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the mix up with your reservation, I am pleased this was swiftly resolved for you.
Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding the facilities and the staff.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for a weekend break last November. On arrival we had been 'upgraded' to a luxury 4 poster room- exciting! Turns out the room was rather cold and looked like it needed a good lick of paint! The bathroom was pretty tired looking too.

The food in the restuarant was FANTASTIC which made up for the room, and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Katherine S
Thank you for posting your review on our site on 8th June.2012. I note from your comments that you actually stayed at our hotel last November, I believe I am right in saying this review relates to a stay you experienced 7 months ago?
I started as General Manager late November, since then I encourage guest feedback as this is the only way we can strive to improve the service and facilites we offer. I note your comments with regards to your complimentary upgrade, we actually call the 4 poster rooms Feature rooms as they are located in the original 15th century house, they are very traditional, comfortable and quirky, most of them enjoying wonderful views of the golf course and woodland. I wouldn't describe them as luxurious, (for the benefit of other readers)
I am delighted you enjoyed your meal and that the staff were friendly and helpful.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review
cleveland
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed here for my nieces wedding and spent the weekend there. The rooms are very clean and the beds are made up every day. A pint of beer there costs £3.45
I didnt experience any problems with the staff but I know a few other guests did.
There is not a lot to do around the place unless you play golf, they have a sauna, pool and jacuzzi. Due to this it makes it an ideal place to use as a base camp and go on trips away with it being situated just off the A1.

There is a pub called the forrester about 200 yards up the road towards the main road. We had a great sunday dinner in there and the owner gave some good laughs so if you want a quiet lunch this may not be the place for you but it is really a good laugh.

Room Tip: Rooms above room 40 are in a new section.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Chappie63
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on our site following your Niece's wedding held at the hotel.
I am pleased you enjoyed the facilites.
We do take all customer feedback very seriously, this is the only way we can strive to improve the service and facilites we offer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatham Mundeville
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,420 reviews
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!