“Dissapointed”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We booked the hotel for the murder mystery evening, having over nighted in the hotel in January while attending a family event.

The reception was warm and friendly and information given regarding the murder mystery evening ahead. A standard room came with the murder mystery package and after staying in a superior room last time was a disappointment, clean and tidy but very cramped ok for one night but I wouldn't have wanted to stay longer. The bathroom was adequate but with the space a shower rather than a bath with over shower would have been better, the shower was underpowered.

We arrived to make use of the spa facilities but were disappointed, the facilities themselves are quite good if a little stark. However the whole place was packed with women, it was impossible to get into the sauna or steam room for a good half an hour and the hot tub was full for the hour we were there, no one was sitting in it they just dangled their feet in while they chatted! As the facilities are available for day use and to local members there is simply not enough space for hotel guests. This continues into the other facilities of the hotel with insufficient lounge space some guests had to sit in the dining area after dinner and queues for tables at breakfast.

We had a drink in the attached stables bar, which was pleasant and the bar staff very friendly mentioning it was cheaper to buy a bottle than get three glasses of wine.

Now to the main event , we had been advised to arrive at 7 for dinner at 7.30 which we duly did having been to such events before and finding clues to the mystery early in the evening. However the arrival at 7 appeared to be to allow the bar queue to clear as no drinks were served to tables, there were plenty of staff on duty but they and the breakfast staff, seemed in the main untrained and unsure what to do. The room itself was a little bland, usual conference facility and quite cold. In addition the acoustics echoed and made it difficult to follow conversation, not ideal, when trying to follow events. The murder mystery itself was ok if difficult to follow because of the noise and we did not see one of the main protagonists until the last min, it did go on too long, but that may have been hunger, and the second solution so obvious we dismissed it.

Dinner was finally served at 8pm, we had pre selected from a small and quite bland menu, one of our party had the soup which he described as bland and Luke warm, the pate was ok but arrived with the smallest piece of toast I have ever seen (we had eaten the bread buns on the table in desperation while waiting). After a long wait the main course arrived the sliver of salmon and two tiny potatoes would not have fed a toddler adequately, the chicken the better option but only consisted of a over cooked chicken breast and small piece of potato. Pudding both the choc tort and the apple pie were cloyingly sweet and were left by most people.
Breakfast was nice well cooked and plentyful if erratic, on ordering the full English some members of the party got hash browns some didn't, that was after being presented with another tables breakfast twice, having to go and repeat the order for coffee by finding someone and waiting nearly an hour for food.

This hotel could be good, but we left feeling disappointed, and hungry its shooting way above its ability.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank foodie501
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Foodie 501
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review. We do value customers feedback whether good or bad and discuss at our team meetings.
I would like to comment on a few points you have raised. Our standard rooms are smaller than the executive, however, they do vary in size depandant on location within the building. I can confirm that the weekend you stayed we did experience a higher volume of users in the leisure club, this does vary from day to day. We have since added an additonal sign next to the jacuzzi asking guests to vacate after 10minutes, not only for H & S reasons but to allow others guests to enjoy the facility.
We did hold a de brief meeting following the Murder mystery night and we highlighted how we can improve this type of event in the future, I totally agree table service for drinks should have been offered.
Please accept my apologies for us not meeting your expectations, occasionally we do get things wrong. However, we do strive to improve and take on board guests comments.

I do hope you will try us again in the future.

Hotel General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Having stayed at this hotel on and off for about 15 years it is still a fantastic place to stay whether it be as a couple of family.
On this occasion I noticed much better staff, some young and learning but all very polite, helpful and courteous - it has not always had this good a team of people.
The food both at breakfast and in the restaurant is absolutely lovely and you would be hard pushed not to find something on the menu to eat.
Beds comfortable, plenty hot water for bath/shower. Spa adequate for a couple of hours and Stable bar has lovely conservatory and very well priced pool table.
Visited now with all the family on separate occassions and all would recommend and return.
Only downside is Executive rooms in the "newer" block have very thin walls if you have noisy neighbours!
Will be back after I diet ;) !!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DENISE T
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Denise T
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. I am delighted you continue to enjoy your visits to Hall Garth Hotel.
It is very pleasing to read your kind comments about the staff, I will certainly pass them. It is very rewarding for the staff to receive positive feedback, we do strive hard to offer a friendly professional service and work as a team.
I take on board your comment regarding the walls in the newer part of the hotel, if only we could have the old stone walls we have in the original 15th century building. I am sorry if you had noisy neighbours during your last stay.
I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Kind regards,

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We booked the Hall Garth for two nights as a central base for our travels, being close to the A1 Motorway. Fortunately, we could not hear the motorway, although a train line runs reasonably close but again no disturbance.

We paid extra for an executive room but after initially placing us in a standard room, we eventually was given Room 2, which was a split level 4 Poster room overlooking the Gold Course. The room was large, comfortable and well equipped (even a TV in the bath), although the furniture was quite dated and the decor, a little drab.

We decided to eat in the Stables Bar which was cheaper than the Restaurant and after ordering our food we noticed it being brought across from the main restaurant (almost the same meal was approximately £5 cheaper eating in the Stables). The Bar Menu and the food was not very exciting but tasted OK.

Breakfast in the morning was a repeat of our evening Meal, everything was there, cooked OK but nothing to get excited about......unless you like lumps in your porridge and scrambled eggs (They must need a better mixer in the kitchen!).

This was a nice comfortable hotel with a large leisure club, 9 hole golf course and a character pub which would benefit from looking at their menu and offering better meals.

2 Thank Andy G
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Andy G
Thank you for posting your recent review.
We do take all guests comments seriously and I will discuss them with the team.
The menu in the Stables pub is limited, the kitchen in the pub is not functional at the moment, therefore as you mentioned the food is delivered from the main hotel. This limits what we can offer, we are changing the menu week commencing 15th April in the hotel and the stables.
I will discuss your review of breakfast with the Chef.
I am pleased on the whole you enjoyed the faclilties and location of the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I've stayed in the Hall Garth Hotel a few times now, I cannot recommend the place enough. The staff are warm, friendly and go the extra mile to make the stay just that little bit better.

The food is great and the rooms are really clean and comfortable.

Overall there is nowhere else I would rather stay in the North East.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank stuartpeck81
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear Stuartpack 81
Thank you for posting you review. We do take all guest feedback very seriously whether good or bad. It is very pleasing to read your comments I am delighted you enjoy staying with us, we strive to offer a friendly and professional service and it is very rewarding for the team when guests take time to tell us they have had a good stay.The staff will be thrilled to read your headline.
Hope its not too long before we can welcome you back again.

Sunderland
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We booked up a package here for one night, the package involved Bed & Breakfast, Murder Mystery Night, Three Course Meal and access to the Spa facilities.

Before i start this review i would like to make readers aware that I have travelled the world and stayed in some very nice establishments and some not so very nice, I also hasten to add that I am no prude and do not have exacting standards.

Firstly let me say that when we booked the package we received seemed good value for money, however, the overall quality was far from ideal and there were many areas of this establishment that could be improved with minor tweaks and better management..

The Accommodation was clean and tide but cramped and to say the least very basic. If you decided to make use of the kettle you needed to find a socket that was close enough for the 6 inches of cable you had to plug in, unfortunately for us there were none and so we had to balance the kettle up against the wall at such an angle that any slight movement would have resulted in the kettle spilling over. The bathroom as very cramped, not enough room to swing a cat and the bed was comfortable enough but very well worn. Friends of ours who stayed the night with us were in the room opposite and had more decor than our room which seemed to be lacking attention to detail in many areas

The Spa and pool area were very small and cramped with most facilities being cramped if there were more than 6 people using them, in particualr the Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam Room. That said the Hotel did seem particularily busy with Wedding, Stag and Hen Parties, some of whom lacked the decorum you would have expected in an establishmrnt of this nature and were very vocal throughout the Murder Mystery Night and in the public areas. Some of the behaviour at times bordered on threatening and toward the end of the evening our party had to leave the public area because of threats we received. I appreciate that this is out of the Hotels control, however, the behaviour was all alcohol related and better control of un-ruley behaviour could have avoided a very nasty situation.

As for the Murder mystery night, the event was ok but lacked Hotel co-ordination but we enjoyed it and had fun, the meal was adequate in parts, the Starter of Leek and Potatoe Soup was Cold and had a skin on the top, my main of Chicken with Green Beans and Potatoe was nice, but an addition of Carrots and more Gravy would have made it that little bit better, the. desert of apple pie and cream was ok. Over all the presentation of the food lacked finesss. We sat on a table of eight four of whom we had never met before and they all said the food was good. On to Breakfast, which can only be explained as an absolute shambles, personally my food was edible as was my wifes, however, friends of ours had to chase up the staff for their breakfast some 30 minutes after we had eaten ours, this itself was clearly unaccepatble and to add insult to injury their food was stone cold and the eggs undercooked.

It may seem that Im a gloom and doom merchant and a serial hotel complainer, far from the truth to be honest i would rather say nothing if i have nothing constructive to say. However, the fact that this was our first stay, which was on the advice of the friends we were with who had stayed at least eight times at this establishment and spoke very highly of the Hotel and Staff. I would not have reviewed this Hotel had it been adequate and the fact that our friends who are regulars were deeply upset at theirs and our experience during the stay and will be following up their complaint they left with reception by email to the manager. During our drive home they apologised to us for subjecting us to what we had experienced during our stay and were deeply upset, with them being loyal and returning customers i was more upset for them and had they not been upset i would probably of put our stay down to experience and not review it so poorly.

To summarise, our first stay here was not the best and based on our experience I would hesitate to recommend this establishment to my friends or family. Would i visit again, probably yes, because i had heard nothing but good things prior to our arrival and could put the catalogue of errors down to a one off and the Hotel being busy. There is no doubting that with some fine tuning, a little investment and better training of the staff in particular the catering and waitress area this has plenty of potential and could be a cracking little weekend escape and had we recived what we expected for our money whould have been great Value For Money sadly on this occassion this was not the case.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Graham D
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review on our site. We do take all feedback seriously and discuss in detail during our management meetings.
Please accept my sincere apologies for us failing to meet your expectations, especially when you had been recommended by your friends. I am aware who your friends are and have communicated with them since your stay.
The room you were allocated is one of our standard double rooms, I am sorry you felt this was cramped, depending on the location they do vary a little in size.
I take on board your comments regarding the Murder Mystery night, as I mentioned in my response to a previous review on our site, this was our first event like this and we have learnt from this moving forward. I understand that some of the guests attending were rather rude and intoxicated, the staff are trained to manage these situations discretely. Fortunately this type of behaviour is not something we experience often at Hall Garth.
I can assure you all your points have been discussed and remedial action taken where appropriate. I appreciate your honestly and hope that you will give us another chance in the future to restore your confidence.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We spent overnight at The Hall Garth Fri. 22nd March. I have stayed at a lot of different hotels over the years but this has to be the loveliest by far. The location and surroundings are beautiful and not too fasr to travel to interesting places. Our room was a standard double and was everything you could have wished for. Immaculately clean, homely and with great attention to detail. Loved the idea of all the little nooks and crannys with seating areas all furnished to a very high standard and keeping within the theme of the hotel. ALL staff couldn't have been more attentive even offering to show us round the hotel. Breakfast was perfect with every choice you could want and the service excellent. All in all a totally perfect hotel and stay and can't wait to return.

1 Thank amanda w
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Dear Amanda W
Thank you for your recent review.
It is fantastic to receive positive feedback like yours, I am delighted you enjoyed your recent overnight stay with us. I will certainly pass this on to all the staff.
We do strive to offer a friendly and professional service and it is very rewarding for the staff to receive compliments like yours.
I am also pleased you enjoyed the setting and the character of the building. We do look forward to your return visit.

Cambridgeshire, UK
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Just stayed for the Murder Mystery night, which in itself was a pretty entertaining evening with the actors doing a decent job keeping everyone occupied.

Unfortunately the meal itself, pre booked from an extremely disappointing selection, was something of a let down. Totally tasteless soup and a meagre chicken main course - at least I didn't choose the salmon as it was difficult to spot on the plate.

The night played out in a drab room without waiter service for drinks.

Our bedroom itself was pretty small and cramped but clean and reasonably adequate. Unfortunately the shower in the bath room was weak and lacked power.

The breakfast was good but we had to wait NEARLY AN HOUR from sitting down to being served the full English, which has set an unwelcome record in my experience. The hotel seemed very busy but there is no excuse for that kind of wait.

Staff are generally very helpful and courteous, even in trying situations. However, there are a lot of very young staff who with a bit of guidance would clearly be able to make things run a little bit smoother i.e. it doesn't take two to clear a table when there are four tables nearby waiting for tea or coffee.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark W
Dear Mark W
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on our site.
Please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations. I will discuss your feedback with my Management team in our meeting on Wednesday.
Occasionally we do get things wrong, however, we do try to learn from mistakes and iron them out moving forward.
This was our first Murder Mystery evening, thank you for your feedback this will be discussed in the de brief with the team.
I am pleased you found the staff to be helpful and courteous. We do have a few new young staff on our food and beverage team, clearly further training is needed.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to try and restore your confidence with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatham Mundeville
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!