“Not all that!”

Hall Garth Golf And Country Club
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
“Not all that!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Hall Garth with a couple of colleagues March 2014 which was pre booked for us by our company secretary, as such we had no idea what to expect.
We all found the hotel difficult to find as its off the main road about,half a mile down a country lane, all our sat navs told us we had arrived but we were not a the hotel, the hotel is situated down a country lane and sign posting is very poor, especially on a dark, wet night when you have no idea were your going.
Receptionist was really friendly, polite and professional and told me that unlike my colleagues I was not in the main hotel but in the stables.
I had room 18 which was ok, a reasonable size but felt very tired.
All the usual pet hates for me were to be found here!, it was cold, the sealant round the bath was black with mould and there was a wooden roof beam in the shower which I hit my head on when fumbling around with wet hair looking for the towel rail.
Bed was old and tired, pillows flat and tired, but the worst thing was my radiator which at 6.15am decided to do an impersonation of a trumpet for 20 minutes, alas despite the noise it never warmed up.
The bar in the stables was fine but again it was freezing cold, we decided to dine in the hotel restaurant which we were told was fine dinng.
We found service here to be poor and found the Maitre D to be rude, we all ordered fish cakes to start which were very nice but arrived on a stone cold plate and were the size of a couple of golf balls with some water cress as garnish. We ordered the slab beef which we were told came with no choice of how we preferred it cooked, rare, med rare etc. the reason we were given no choice was that it was oven cooked, my suspicion is that it was pre prepared and heated to order.
The beef arrived with a couple of carrots and a parsnip again on a cold plate, as we were a little surprised by the portion size we tried to order a bowl of chips but were told this wasn't possible as the restaurant was fine dining and that we would probably been more suited to the bar menu in the stables bar, as I said we found the Maitre D rude.
I tried to order a glass of Malbec from the wine menu which the waiter informed me they didn't do, I pointed it out to him on the menu he then informed me it was only available by the bottle, I then agreed to buy a bottle only to be told 10 minutes later that they didn't have any, seems the fine dining doesn't extend to the wine cellar.
We all had the sticky toffee pudding for desert, my colleague asked for It with custard, again we were told this would no be possible as it was cooked with the creme, again our suspicion was that it was pre prepared and heated to order.
The bill for the 3 courses x 3 came to £120, at least they got this bit of the fine dining experience right.
To be fair we enjoyed breakfast the following morning in the conservatory overlooking the golf course, which on a sunny spring morning was a real treat, and the sunshine succeeded in warming up the restaurant were the portable fan heaters had failed the previous evening.
We had the full English which was excellent all though a little pricy at £12.50 and not included in the room rate, we also had a problem in that my colleague is allergic to tomato as such he asked for this not to be included as it could make him very ill, unfortunately it as on his plate when it arrived, but to be fair they cooked him another breakfast excluding the tomato.
My colleagues both said the rooms in the main hotel were very nice, so maybe just avoid the rooms in stables, the restaurant however we all found pretentious, over priced and distinctly average, much better value to be found in Darlington centre which is only 3 or 4 miles away.
5/10 not all that!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyJ1965
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Golf And Country Club, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Andy
Thank you for posting your review on our site.
I am sorry you struggled to find the hotel, we have applied on a few occasions for Brown directional signs from the main road, in the past these have been declined. I have recently applied to the local council again and am keeping fingers crossed that we will get them passed this time. Unfortunately we are not allowed any additional signs of our own on the public highway.
I note your comments regarding your bedroom in the stables area, many facilities in the hotel have been recently refurbished following the change of ownership in September 2013, plans are in place for this section to be done in the future phases we are currently hoping that plans go through for the resurfacing of the car parks.
Oswald's restaurant style of food is AA Rosette style where the complete meal is served on the plate and the portions tend to be more delicate not as agricultural as the pub offering. I am concerned to hear that the food was served on cold plates and will follow this up with relevant Managers. The menu in the Stables Bar is a less formal offering with lots of choice of hearty dishes including steak and sides orders.
Pave of Sirloin of Beef was the dish served in Oswald's restaurant which is not a cut of beef cooked to order like a fillet steak. This is oven cooked, medium to well as a whole sirloin.
I am sorry we were out of stock of the Malbec wine, we have recently changed our wine list, this is not a wine we currently offer by the glass. We do have a selection of white, red and rose wines which are available by the glass
I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast. I must confirm that we do offer an inclusive bed and breakfast rate, as you were booked on a 'room only' rate, the breakfast taken the following morning would be charged at full price.
It is pleasing to read the feedback on your colleagues rooms, due to the logistics of the building our rooms to vary and we do find that return guests request different areas of the hotel depending on their preferences.
Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback and giving me the opportunity to reply.

Hotel General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

we booked at the last minute for a one night break inc a massage for both of us. we also managed to fit in a round of golf in the afternoon.
The room was lovely, spa facilities excellent and clean. Great golf course with some challenging holes for a beginner like me.
Food in the restaurant was well presented and of a high standard.

But the best thing about this Hotel is THE STAFF, every single one of them, including the spa and golf club staff, is friendly, efficient and nothing is too much trouble.

Only downside were the lilies in the hallway, my husband is allergic to them and spent most of the night sneezing ! Maybe something for the housekeeping to remember as lilies can also be a problem for asthma sufferers too, as nice as they look !

Would definitely recommend this hotel .

Dear Sylvia,
Thank you posting your recent feedback following your spa break.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience many of our facilities including the golf course.
The receptionist mentioned your comments to me about the lilies. You will be pleased to know I did take on board your concerns and we have since changed the type of flowers we have in the hallway.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. The team do try very hard to offer a friendly and professional service to all guests.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future..

Hotel General Manager.
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed with you on the 22nd of March. We were very disappointed at how cold the hotel was. It was freezing wherever we went, the dining room, lounge, our room. From 7.30pm onwards we asked if someone could light the fire in the lounge which would have been lovely adding to the atmosphere and making it nice and warm. however, no-one was able to light it so we went to our room after dinner where it was warmer. This really took away from what would have been a lovely evening spent by the fire with drinks.The bathroom in our room was also unheated and very draughty.

Room Tip: lovely hotel but very cold hotel
4 Thank JR a
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Golf And Country Club, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear JR a
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback as well as sending me an email following your stay.
As I mentioned, our policy is that the lounge fire is cleaned and reset every morning and the Duty Manager lights the fire when the temperature drops generally late afternoon evening.
The fire had been lit earlier on that day and unfortunately was left to burn out.
The Duty Manager recalls when asked to reset and light it at 10pm he felt this was a little late to do so.
The fire was lit in Oswald's restaurant during Dinner.
I am sorry this spoilt your stay with us.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a very pretty location. The food was OK, and the staff couldn't have been nicer. I would have rated it higher, but the 'spa' was a big let down.
When you look at the hotel website it says the spa will 'enable you to totally unwind'. I certainly wouldn't agree with this statement. The main issue was that it was full of young children. They were in the pool, the jacuzzi and the sauna (which I'm sure is a potential health and safety issue). We felt like we'd gone to the Wacky Warehouse! It was extremely noisy, with children running around and jumping in and out of the pool, splashing the guests who were trying to relax. I have just read another similar review by a guest who had the same issues as we did, and the managers response was that it gets hectic on a weekend. By the time I left I would say I was more stressed out than when I arrived.
We did make the most of the rest of our stay, but I would have been extremely annoyed if I'd just booked a 'spa day'. In my opinion (and I've worked in the travel industry for 20 yrs), they need to have a rethink. Do they want this to be a relaxing spa experience for their guests, or a family friendly leisure centre? One thing is for sure, it can't be both.
Perhaps during the week it's a little quieter, but if that's the case don't sell spa breaks on weekends or during children's holidays to avoid others being as disappointed as we were.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank canttinkof1
Dear Cantinkof1
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on our site.
I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay and that the staff were friendly and helpful.
I note your comments regarding the spa area. Obviously, the number of children using the facility can vary greatly from time to time. I was concerned to learn that young children were using the jacuzzi. This is a health & safety risk and there are clear rules in place for this. I have asked for the rules and guideline signs to be made more prominent on the poolside. Parents of young children are asked to supervise their children, the staff are trained to manage the situation if needed. I am sorry if this was not forthcoming during your time in the spa. I have spoken to the team and reiterated the importance of this.
Following the change of ownership to the hotel Autumn 2013, many of the hotel facilities have been upgraded. Phase 2 of the improvements are due to start later in the year which includes improvements to the leisure area.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Recently came for a meal in the restaurant and had a great time. Food was really nice, could've been better portions but what was there was nice. The real bonus was our waitress, a delightful young lady named Abby who was pleasant, cheerful and very attentive. She made our time there very enjoyable and is a credit to this venue. I'd recommend friends to come and eat here in future.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
To 5th Wheel 1
Many thanks for posting your recent feedback following eating in Oswald's restaurant.
I will pass your comments on to the Chef and to Abby. I am delighted she looked after you.

Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Enjoyed a pleasant weekend at the Hall Garth Hotel having taken advantage of a suite special offer. The suite was set apart from the main hotel building in a very old converted barn type building. The furnishings and comfort afforded by the extra space were very welcome. Being set apart it was also quiet and there were views over the river and fields running alongside. The hotel staff were very helpful, the spa facilities were great, though I only used the pool, hot tub and sauna so can't comment on the treatment rooms. Had a great meal in the "wine glass" restaurant. A wide enough menu to satisfy choice and very good value for money with well presented and tasty food brought to the table with friendly serving staff. You couldn't ask for more really. No faults at all. I had an hour's work to do Saturday afternoon and the wifi in the reception area worked perfectly allowing me to connect to my company servers and there were comfy sofas and tables to work from. I was in the area to go mountain biking at Hamsterley Forest Park about 18 miles away on the A68.

1 Thank Mark_Of_Loxley
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Golf And Country Club, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Mark of Loxley
Many thanks for taking the time to post your positive feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed staying in one of our suites in The Mill House.
I will pass on your kind comments to the staff.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again when you are visiting our region.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Very friendly hotel, in nice surroundings, good overall service. Rooms were very clean with solid furniture and had all the expected items. Good quality breakfast and a nice little bar (stables) in the leisure area part of the hotel which is a separate building. My wife liked it and would like to go back for longer stay..

Room Tip: Lowest cost rooms a bit on the small side.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Golf And Country Club, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear James T
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed the facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatham Mundeville
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,356 reviews
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Hall Garth Golf And Country Club? Share your experiences!