“Bonus!”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Bonus!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Booked last minute stay at this hotel to break journey from Edinburgh to Lincoln. On arrival we were told we had been upgraded and had a 4 poster bed, with TV above the bath (this didn't work, but wasn't a problem!) Meal was not in the hotel restaurant but in adjoining "Stables" quality of food was ok but nothing more. The bonus was that we had a bottle of wine in our room with a small box of chocolates.

Room Tip: We were in room C4 which was quiet - would be no good for people with a disability as there were som...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Richard W
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
I am delighted the staff were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade on check in to one of our feature rooms. I am concerned to learn that the Aqua TV was not working in the bath. I have asked our Maintenance team to look at this as these are new TV's.
On Sunday evenings Oswald's Restaurant is closed and dinner is served in the Stables Bar.
I am pleased you enjoyed the gesture of wine and chocolates in your room.

Hotel General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Northumberland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

A pleasant, comfortable hotel, situated very close to the motorway. The rooms are a decent size, welcoming, clean and comfortable. The gym is good, as is the pool, jacuzzi and other facilities. We did not play golf and did not try the breakfast option, so I cannot comment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rieman 79
Thank you for posting your recent feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the facilities that you experienced.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Leeds
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Went here with my wife for some much needed rest and recuperation. There's nothing wrong with this hotel, but everything is just ok.

The room: We booked a four poster room and it was a bit underwhelming when walking in. However, it had everything you need and was clean and comfortable. The matress was comfy and the bedding and pillows were of good quality. I think I expected it being bigger and it could do with updating.

Food: We had our tea in the stables pub. The food was very nice, and the bar staff were friendly. Our food was all inclusive but the prices on the menu were very reasonable. We had a full english breakfast which was nice. There was a full continental selection.

Spa: probably it's biggest let down was the spa. Based in a conservatory outbuilding it appeared very tired and dated. Basically a small pool, with a small sauna and steam room. Very few sunbeads, and not enough air circulation. It was very humid and uncomfortable. We got the extended 55 minute full body masage in our package which was nice and staff were friendly.

So, the food, staff and cleanliness were all good, the spa was poor which is the main reason we went to this hotel as it was advertised as a spa hotel, and the general ambience was just ok.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanandBecky_12
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Dan and Becky
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay including your spa treatments and the food in the recently refurbished onsite pub.
As a 3* hotel we do believe we offer 'Good value for money in a professional and friendly environment.'
I take on board your feedback regarding the leisure club and spa.
The treatments we offer and the therapists are of a good standard, the leisure club reception/changing areas are ready for an upgrade and plans are in place for Autumn 2014 to refresh the Leisure/Spa and golf areas.
We have recently refurbished the Stables pub/kitchen, as well as many public areas.
Following the change in ownership Autumn 2013 it is great to have monies spent on the hotel.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Generally I would say this is a good hotel which has improved since our last visit over 18 months ago and I believe will continue to improve, this being down to new ownership. On our recent visit on the 26/27 March 2014 my husband and I had the pleasure of meeting one of the new owners, Mr McKeag, who gave up about 15 minutes of his time to talk to us and was very proud of all recent refurbishments and improvements and enthusiastic about the future plans. The hotel benefits from being in a peaceful, quiet and relaxing setting yet convenient for the A1(M). On arrival we were a little disappointed to have been allocated a bedroom in the refurbished stables which is a separate building to the main hotel and meant a walk over to the hotel which can be a problem in rainy windy weather and it was rainy and windy too, but to be fair we did have a very good nights sleep and I would imagine the rooms in the stables are probably a little quieter to that of the main hotel, so we would definitely go for a room there again.. It was a standard room and had all the regular facilities; shower gel and shampoo and tea and coffee etc., although a little light on the tea and coffee - I think someone had forgotten to stock up earlier that day, but reception soon provided us with plenty.. We enjoyed the use of the pool and spa facilities twice. The pool is a fair size, unlike some hotel pools,and there is also a steam room, sauna, spa pool and several loungers and chairs. There is also a small gym and a beauty salon on site too and I paid a visit to the beauty salon for a treatment, which was excellent and the beautician, Rebecca was very friendly. In fact most of the staff were friendly and fairly helpful. The restaurant, which is situated in the main hotel and overlooking the new patio area and golf course is very tastefully decorated and the tables had beautiful long white linen cloths on them. Unfortunately there was some confusion as to which menu we could order from as there seemed to be a special menu for those staying on a dinner bed and breakfast basis and a different one for those who are not on dinner bed and breakfast??? This led to a lot of confusion and mis understandings. As we were not on a dinner bed and breakfast basis we were only offered the A La Carte menu, which offered a limited choice and made ordering very difficult for me since I personally have numerous special dietary needs. The chef did accommodate my requests, but I think he thought that I was just an awkward customer because I hadn't fully explained my problems and issues with certain foods when placing my order. The food we did have was well presented and delicious and of just the right portion size. And as for breakfast, well there was everything on offer, a great selection and the young waiter Bradley was very welcoming, friendly and cheerful... I close by saying I wish I could be that cheerful first thing!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Martine M.
Many thanks for taking the time to post your detailed review.
Following your feedback on check out I have since had the opportunity to reply to you personally.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and felt the hotel had improved since your last visit.
Following change in ownershipfor the hotel last September, we are now starting to enjoy investment into the property. A planned improvement programme is in place which is very exciting.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff I will certainly pass on your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Hotel General Manager.
York
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel on two occasions for long weekends and both times have been exceptional. The staff are faultless and can not do enough for you. Food in the restaurant is good quality with the biggest choice of wines I have seen I a long time. The dining is formal but very relaxed. Breakfast is served in pleasant surrounding and again is relaxed. Location is fantastic being close to Durham and Darlington yet set off the beaten track. Health club is small and a little dates but serves it's purpose well.

• Stayed February 2014
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Law 1925
Many thanks for posting your recent review.
I am delighted to read your feedback especially about the staff, we do have a happy team and it is very rewarding when they receive positive comments.
I am also pleased to learn you enjoyed your food and wine during your stay. The Stables Pub has recently been relaunched, it now has it's own kitchen which enables us to offer a more extensive menu, 3 course meal can now be taken in the pub as an alternative to the restaurant for guests wanting a change when on an inclusive DBB package.The pub opens from 11am- 11pm each day.
Since the change of ownership in Autumn last year we have enjoyed many areas of the hotel being upgraded and renovated. The leisure club will be part of the second phase planned for Autumn 2014.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Hall Garth with a couple of colleagues March 2014 which was pre booked for us by our company secretary, as such we had no idea what to expect.
We all found the hotel difficult to find as its off the main road about,half a mile down a country lane, all our sat navs told us we had arrived but we were not a the hotel, the hotel is situated down a country lane and sign posting is very poor, especially on a dark, wet night when you have no idea were your going.
Receptionist was really friendly, polite and professional and told me that unlike my colleagues I was not in the main hotel but in the stables.
I had room 18 which was ok, a reasonable size but felt very tired.
All the usual pet hates for me were to be found here!, it was cold, the sealant round the bath was black with mould and there was a wooden roof beam in the shower which I hit my head on when fumbling around with wet hair looking for the towel rail.
Bed was old and tired, pillows flat and tired, but the worst thing was my radiator which at 6.15am decided to do an impersonation of a trumpet for 20 minutes, alas despite the noise it never warmed up.
The bar in the stables was fine but again it was freezing cold, we decided to dine in the hotel restaurant which we were told was fine dinng.
We found service here to be poor and found the Maitre D to be rude, we all ordered fish cakes to start which were very nice but arrived on a stone cold plate and were the size of a couple of golf balls with some water cress as garnish. We ordered the slab beef which we were told came with no choice of how we preferred it cooked, rare, med rare etc. the reason we were given no choice was that it was oven cooked, my suspicion is that it was pre prepared and heated to order.
The beef arrived with a couple of carrots and a parsnip again on a cold plate, as we were a little surprised by the portion size we tried to order a bowl of chips but were told this wasn't possible as the restaurant was fine dining and that we would probably been more suited to the bar menu in the stables bar, as I said we found the Maitre D rude.
I tried to order a glass of Malbec from the wine menu which the waiter informed me they didn't do, I pointed it out to him on the menu he then informed me it was only available by the bottle, I then agreed to buy a bottle only to be told 10 minutes later that they didn't have any, seems the fine dining doesn't extend to the wine cellar.
We all had the sticky toffee pudding for desert, my colleague asked for It with custard, again we were told this would no be possible as it was cooked with the creme, again our suspicion was that it was pre prepared and heated to order.
The bill for the 3 courses x 3 came to £120, at least they got this bit of the fine dining experience right.
To be fair we enjoyed breakfast the following morning in the conservatory overlooking the golf course, which on a sunny spring morning was a real treat, and the sunshine succeeded in warming up the restaurant were the portable fan heaters had failed the previous evening.
We had the full English which was excellent all though a little pricy at £12.50 and not included in the room rate, we also had a problem in that my colleague is allergic to tomato as such he asked for this not to be included as it could make him very ill, unfortunately it as on his plate when it arrived, but to be fair they cooked him another breakfast excluding the tomato.
My colleagues both said the rooms in the main hotel were very nice, so maybe just avoid the rooms in stables, the restaurant however we all found pretentious, over priced and distinctly average, much better value to be found in Darlington centre which is only 3 or 4 miles away.
5/10 not all that!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyJ1965
Dear Andy
Thank you for posting your review on our site.
I am sorry you struggled to find the hotel, we have applied on a few occasions for Brown directional signs from the main road, in the past these have been declined. I have recently applied to the local council again and am keeping fingers crossed that we will get them passed this time. Unfortunately we are not allowed any additional signs of our own on the public highway.
I note your comments regarding your bedroom in the stables area, many facilities in the hotel have been recently refurbished following the change of ownership in September 2013, plans are in place for this section to be done in the future phases we are currently hoping that plans go through for the resurfacing of the car parks.
Oswald's restaurant style of food is AA Rosette style where the complete meal is served on the plate and the portions tend to be more delicate not as agricultural as the pub offering. I am concerned to hear that the food was served on cold plates and will follow this up with relevant Managers. The menu in the Stables Bar is a less formal offering with lots of choice of hearty dishes including steak and sides orders.
Pave of Sirloin of Beef was the dish served in Oswald's restaurant which is not a cut of beef cooked to order like a fillet steak. This is oven cooked, medium to well as a whole sirloin.
I am sorry we were out of stock of the Malbec wine, we have recently changed our wine list, this is not a wine we currently offer by the glass. We do have a selection of white, red and rose wines which are available by the glass
I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast. I must confirm that we do offer an inclusive bed and breakfast rate, as you were booked on a 'room only' rate, the breakfast taken the following morning would be charged at full price.
It is pleasing to read the feedback on your colleagues rooms, due to the logistics of the building our rooms to vary and we do find that return guests request different areas of the hotel depending on their preferences.
Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback and giving me the opportunity to reply.

Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

we booked at the last minute for a one night break inc a massage for both of us. we also managed to fit in a round of golf in the afternoon.
The room was lovely, spa facilities excellent and clean. Great golf course with some challenging holes for a beginner like me.
Food in the restaurant was well presented and of a high standard.

But the best thing about this Hotel is THE STAFF, every single one of them, including the spa and golf club staff, is friendly, efficient and nothing is too much trouble.

Only downside were the lilies in the hallway, my husband is allergic to them and spent most of the night sneezing ! Maybe something for the housekeeping to remember as lilies can also be a problem for asthma sufferers too, as nice as they look !

Would definitely recommend this hotel .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sylvia,
Thank you posting your recent feedback following your spa break.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience many of our facilities including the golf course.
The receptionist mentioned your comments to me about the lilies. You will be pleased to know I did take on board your concerns and we have since changed the type of flowers we have in the hallway.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. The team do try very hard to offer a friendly and professional service to all guests.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future..

Hotel General Manager.
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,415 reviews
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!