“Beautiful wedding venue”

Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed for two nights on the occasion of my nephew's wedding and found the whole experience excellent. We enjoyed a meal in Oswald's Restaurant as a family the evening before the wedding, and breakfast again as a family the morning following the wedding. The food was excellent, and the service very good on both occasions.
The room for the wedding breakfast was lovely and again the service and food excellent.
We enjoyed canapes on the terrace, and a BBQ for the evening celebrations.
Our room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean, the only problem being the heat in the room overnight {no aircon}.
Overall a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear HellsBells
Many thanks for posting you wonderful review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Nephews wedding and the whole experience whilst staying with us.
I take on board your comment with regards to the warm bedrooms, I think the recent weather has taken us all by surprise, we do not have air con in the bedrooms, only in some of the public rooms however, we do offer mobile fans if guests require them.
I will pass your kind comments on to the team.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Went for a night stay for a friends birthday. We had booked a package with spa treatments and as I know Spa Breaks which the stay was booked with did not pass some of the change to bookings onto the hotel, the amount of errors was not entirely the companies fault. The receptionist was incredibly unhelpful and not interested in helping solve our booking problems. I wasn't impressed with the 'upgrade' I paid to stay in a suite which was virtually in the beer garden. However the room was clean and tidy, even though the staff forgot to set up the room for 3 people, not 2! As for the food, it was top notch! From the afternoon tea, to the evening meal and to the breakfast was very nicely presented and very tasty. The restaurant staff were also nice and friendly. This did not make up for the amount if mishaps that occured, including finding in a dressing table drawer something in a roll up with a note to another memeber of staff. How unprofessional! Although in the end the group I was with had a good time, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would not visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Lisa
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
Firstly, I can only apologize for the mix up with your treatment times, as you mention this was a mistake made by the 3rd party agent, unfortunately on a weekend when the demand for beauty treatments is very high we have no room for movement on timings. When you failed to show for your appointments booked, Holly, our Front of House Manager tried to find you and explained this was confirmed by the 3rd party. I am sorry you felt she was unhelpful, as we receive many positive comments about her.
I am pleased you enjoyed your meals and that your group had an overall enjoyable time. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff.
I can assure you that remedial action has been taken with regards to the note left in the drawer in your room, this was not for a staff member this was from a long stay previous guest.
We do take all feedback very seriously, occasionally we do get things wrong, however we do strive to improve on the services we offer.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel and staff are very good'rooms are very clean. Not enough tea and coffee in rooms plus biscuits. The only downside is the wine prices nothing under £19 and the alacarte menu is not value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Keith D
Thanks you for posting your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and take on board your comments.
We do have a set portion of items we stock on the room tea trays, however, please feel free to ask for extra, just mention to reception on check in and the staff will be only too happy to accommodate.
As well as Oswald's Fine Dining restaurant we offer a more informal menu in the Stables Bar for a lower cost.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very dissapointed with the small bedroom! Staff friendly , however was given incorrect information on local venues which resulted in travel to two pointless locations. Food in stables restaurant the best part of the stay.
would not return to this hotel .

Room Tip: Standard double please note are extremely small.we viewed 4
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank golcarlilly123
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Golcarilly 123
Thank you for posting your recent feedback.
I note from your comments you stayed in Room 4, this is located in the 15th Century Main House which houses 10 rooms, the sizes of the room are all very different, some very large, some feature rooms. The majority of standard double rooms are in the newer part of the hotel which are a decent size.
I am confused with regards to you been given wrong information on locations, I can only apologize, but without more detail I am unable to follow up. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal in the Stables Bar.
Should you change your mind and choose to visit us again in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the first time we've eaten in Oswald's restaurant within Hall Garth and did find the service a bit 'relaxed' but friendly, but put this down to a corporate event that was going on at the time. Would it have been a friendly if it wasn't for the fact that to our surprise, we knew one of the waitresses? Four of us dined and our bill for 4 x 3 course meals, 1 x bottle of wine and a coffee came to £127.00 which considering it's silver service, we felt was acceptable. They don't serve chips if you like these with your meal. The food was very good and they can accommodate anyone with an allergy (Celiac and Dairy/Wheat).

A negative point was the disabled parking, had there been a car in the ONE SPACE, where would I have parked? Also the toilets are down four stairs with no rails. Perhaps they have a disabled toilet and more disabled parking spaces, but these weren't obvious.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adviser2

Dear Advisor 2,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after dining in Oswald's Restaurant.
I am delighted you enjoyed your overall dining experience, it is pleasing to read that special dietary needs were accommodated. I note your comment regarding no chips, grills and more informal food is available in the Stables pub.
We do have more than one disabled car space, I assume that you have used the space near the entrance beside the large tree where there is only sufficient space for one car. We do have other designated disabled spaces adjacent to the side of the building. The car park is due to be resurfaced late September, the signage of these spaces will be more prominent after that.
We do have 2 disabled toilets and a disabled lift to assist going from one level to another. I am sorry you did not notice them.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have stayed at the Hall Garth on several occasions and each time we have enjoyed but also been disappointed by certain aspects of our stay.
Firstly, we have used the spa and treatments each time we have visited and thoroughly enjoyed every time.
We have stayed in both the four poster room and the more modern rooms. We found the four poster room to be tired and shabby. On out third visit we asked for the same room in the newer part of the building as we found it to be more comfortable when we stayed on our second visit however we were disappointed to find it had deteriorated in the space of several months, the ceiling in the bathroom was flaking and cracked and the chair was stained.
The Stables bar on our earlier visits was lacking atmosphere and needed modernising and refurbishing. We struggled to stay for one drink on an evening. We were pleasantly surprised on our third visit to find it had been refurbished throughout and was a very pleasant place to have a few drinks.
Lastly the restaurant. We have had several evening meals here and breakfast and the consistency of the food served ranged from terrible to quite nice! Breakfast mostly was good, however we were sat down to a dirty table on one occasion and had to clear away crumbs from another guest before we ate. The conservatory area of the restaurant is pleasant to sit in and has been refurbished but was a little dirty around the windows. I would like to say a special thanks to one member of staff in the restaurant (a lovely blonde lady) who has served us on every visit and has remembered us each time. She is always friendly and helpful.
Although this is not a bad hotel and has potential to be so much better.
I am saddened that after every visit we have completed feedback with positives and negatives and on our last visit when asked how our stay was as we checked out we verbally gave feedback however this was dismissed by staff ! Why ask if your not bothered if a returning guest tells you they won't be returning!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Joannelovesholid...
Thank you for posting your review. I see from the review that you stayed in February 2014.
Since the hotel changed ownership last September a great deal of investment and improvements have been carried out and some are still in planning stages. Due to the main house dating back to the 15th century, many improvements we are wanting to do have had to go through local planning.
Some feature rooms have been refurbished and others are planned for later in the year. We are delighted to have received the go ahead for the rendering of the front to be done late September and for the Car park to be resurfaced early October. The front patio now has some beautiful furniture which is enjoyed by many guests.
We also have plans in place to replace the Conservatory in the restaurant, it is becoming tired and needs replacing. We hope to complete this by the end of the year.
We refurbished the Stables Bar in January and added the new kitchen for the pub which has enabled us to serve food all day with an extended menu since April 2014.
Oswald's Restaurant has recently been redecorated and we have replaced the carpets and chairs.
I can assure you all guest feedback is taken very seriously, I am sorry if the duty receptionist did not give you that impression. Thank you for your kind comments about the waitress I will pass them on to her.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the future.

Hotel General Manager.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

It's a nice change staying on business in a sprawling country club type environment, rather that a corporate style chain hotel.

As other reviewers have advised, this is a mix of old and new, with a separate bar/food building as well as the main hotel block.

I stayed in a 'feature room' in the old hotel building, as it was all that was available. I'm not sure it was worth the extra if you had a choice. It was large and beneficial if a couple were staying for a few nights, but not special enough just for one person for one night. Even the view wasn't the best.

Breakfast in the main block was good, the evening meal in the adjoining 'pub' ok but not thrilling.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GMHallGarth17121972, General Manager at Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Humbermart
Thank you for posting your recent review.
As you mention we are fortunate with the make up of the hotel, the original house dates back to 15th century, with extensions adding a more contemporary feel. The grounds are great to relax in after a long day at work.
You mention you ate Dinner in the Stables Pub, we also serve Dinner in the more formal setting of Oswald's restaurant where you had breakfast, the dinner offering is an A La Carte menu with daily specials. Oswald's is closed Sundays after breakfast, Sunday Diners do eat in the Stables.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again you when you are next in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatham Mundeville
4 mi away
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!