“Great but Beware the added fees!”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is a great hotel...beautiful rooms, lobby, comfy beds. I'd stay there again---if the added fees weren't there! This hotel is perfect for the business traveler who have an expense account. However, the vacationer should be aware that there is a $10 fee for parking. And there is a $12.95 fee for wifi access. The internet fee is appalling because almost every hotel/motel now has it for free...even the lowly Travelodge in small towns. What was a little deceiving, was that they don't tell you at the front desk is that you can access it for free...in the lobby.

The restaurant was expensive (remember...this is designed for those with expense accounts!) Fortunately, there was a Waffle House right next door...and they really do have great food!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rogerdob
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Dear Rogerdob,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Renaissance and taking the time to write a review. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful rooms and lobby. The parking fee is in place for long term parking purposes. If you would like to discuss this along with the internet fee, please feel free to contact me directly at your convenience.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Lots of pluses for this hotel! The staff are warm and inviting (from the shuttle drivers, to reception, to the room service delivery guy, and even the Starbucks barista), the room is always clean and bathroom is sparkling too (just not a fan of the eyelet shower curtain). Shower amenties include Origins' products.
The A.C. works like a charm, if you want it to be 60*F in your room it WILL Be 60 degrees!
Bedding is ultra-comfortable as I always get an amazing night sleep and the desk chair properly adjusts while being ergonomic.
And the kicker? The Renaissance St. Louis Airport hotel has one of the BEST gyms of any hotel I have ever been to!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Dear misschristinec,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Renaissance and taking time to write a review. I appreciate all the kind words you have to say about our hotel and the staff. I will be sure to pass them on and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

The hotel is clean, the staff polite and the location very convenient. The shuttle service was great. It would take you to the metro stop, to a couple of restaurants and to the airport.

However, I lost a night of sleep for a problem I can't believe exists in a hotel of this caliber. The sheets don't fit the bed. They are too short. So they pop off or the mattress pad rolls up around you or, worst of all, you may wake up sleeping on the bare mattress--not what you want in a hotel bed. I asked that they change the sheets and they were very apologetic, saying that this has been an issue for them. When I came back to the room, these sheets also did not fit over the corners of the bed! This time I called the manager, who was very nice about it, and they got a bottom sheet that actually reached the corners of the bed. So I was able to sleep the second night. The first night was horrible, however.

Another issue that I think Marriot should correct is that you are welcomed to the room with a bottle of water with a prominent pricetag of $4.00. This is not an economy hotel. I think they could spring for a bottle of water for a guest. If not, at least set a reasonable price. $1.50 would already be at least a 300% mark-up. Charging $4.00 for a smallish bottle of water is letting you know that they don't mind exploiting their customers for all they are worth. It's about a 1000% mark up. That is not a message a hotel like this should send.

You also have to pay about $13.00 per day for wifi. That's a little too much, I think.

In short, the hotel is convenient, the staff is polite and professional and the shuttle service is good. The rooms are also very clean. But no guest should spend a night like I did because the sheets don't fit the bed and wad up under you. There is just no excuse for that. A good night of sleep is the top priority of a guest.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank alisonv11

Dear alisonv11,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you found our staff to be polite and professional and location convenient. I’m glad you were able to utilize our shuttle service for many different purposes. I do apologize for the frustration you experienced with the sheets during your first night and hope the second night was more comfortable. I do appreciate all your comments as we are always looking at guest feedback for ways to improve.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed two nights (Friday and Saturday) in August, 2011.

Very unimpressed. Locating the hotel as you drive from downtown St. Louis is not problem. Getting there is a different story. Access to the property is poor, signage for the entrances and exits is even worse, and parking is flat-out terrible. There was only one employee staffing the front desk when we checked in at 10:30 on Friday evening, so we endured a 10 minute wait. The lobby was crowded and noisy. The parking and wifi fees are ridiculous. The front desk clerk gave us no particulars on where to park or enter the building. As a result we settled for a space in the back near the building, only to find out there is no back door. A hotel this large should not have so few entrances. The layout of the ground floor is terrible. Good luck finding a stairwell.

The room itself was very nice. Modern, clean, well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were very nice. There were, however, some drawbacks. One of the two vanity lights in the bathroom as not working, which was not a problem unless you needed to see your face. A lot of light comes in from the hallway all the way around the door. The alarm clock shines brighter than the sun. Didn't hear any planes, as we were on the back side of the building, but hallway noise was an issue. The climate control worked fine, but the vents rattled noisily all night.

In all, I found access to the property to be poor, parking terrible, the fees for "incidentals" ridiculous, and the overall experience to be less than satisfactory. I will not stay again unless I get a great deal on Pricline and all I need is a place to sleep before an early morning flight out of Lambert Airport.

3  Thank Traveler4124
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear Chip4124

Thank you for your comments on our hotel. We are constantly using feedback from guests as a way to improve. I want to apologize for the frustrations you experienced during your stay and the wait at check in. I am glad to hear you thought our rooms were nice and enjoyed our comfortable beds. I hope to have you stay with us again and please don’t hesitate to contact me ahead of time so we can do our best to arrange a more relaxing stay for you and your family.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Bold and modern, this hotel has great presentation outside and in. The stylish greeting of the fountain outside is paled by the welcome inside by the staff. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The staff is incredible!

• Stayed: August 2011
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear awfountain3

Thank you for your kind words regarding our comfortable rooms and wonderful staff. I am happy you enjoyed our hotel from the inside out and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

My family and my business partners family just stayed at the Renaissance on August 3rd. After a sleepless night of 2 hot rooms and pillows the size of a postage stamps, I was wanting to speak to a manager in the morning. I asked the gentleman manning the desk in the morning if he could make an adjustment for the hot rooms. We had it set on the coldest setting and it still would never cool off. When the room was costing me $158 per night, I felt that it should at least be cool. The gentleman at the front desk said he could not do anything about adjustments, but that he would make the front office manager aware of the situation and that he felt that he would get it taken care of. I never heard a word from Zach, the Front Office Manager in three days. So I called and left him a very polite message to please take a look at our two rooms and let me know what he could do for the situation. He has still to this date never returned my phone call to tell me anything. We spent $360 with taxes for those two rooms, I would think that they could make some adjustment for the sleepless night of discomfort. I will never stay here again!

1  Thank ShowmeRx
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear ShowmeRx

I am sorry about your uncomfortable stay and I am shocked to learn your call was not returned promptly. Please contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter further. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Enjoyed the hotel, the front desk was courteous and friendly, the rooms were nice and clean and the beds were comfortable. We enjoyed the pools and hottub. There was a convention going on so the lobby was extremely crowded. The only complaint was I needed more blankets so I called to the desk and requested two blankets, they brought one, and it was made of some weird cheap material that actually stuck together and was sticky, so I wasn't able to use it. I ended up having to walk out to my vehicle to get a blanket which was parked a crazy long distance away in a poorly lit parking lot. I would think that a hotel this nice could have a nice extra blanket when needed. The parking was $10 which I didn't realize until I checked in.

Dear TinaOlathe

Thank you for your recent visit to the Renaissance. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our friendly and courteous team as well as the comfortable rooms. I apologize about the situation you encountered requesting additional blankets. I will be looking further into this and passing these comments along to the team. Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
Hampton Inn St. Louis-Airport

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!