“Great potential...but they miss the mark”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Denver, Colorado
“Great potential...but they miss the mark”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a hotel that I really want to like...should be able to like...but it just falls short. It is a very classic art deco Renaissance that was remodeled a little while ago. It still feels fresh and newer...but they just don't get the little things right. The rooms are huge and so are the bathrooms. Now for the little things...they have a great exercise room...but the TV's on the treadmills didn't work. The concierge lounge ran out of food and the attendant's response was "we were really crowded earlier." The water pressure on the shower was so low that I had a hard time getting it to switch from tub to shower. Two of four elevators were out of order...and two of the TV channels would come and go. I spend over 100 nights a year at Marriott properties and was a little surprised by how little this property was on top of things. Great potential...but falls short of what it should be.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear cunfanico,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are very important to me and we will address each of them. Our goal is to deliver exceptional service and a great product. I am confident we can achieve this and hope you will give us another chance.

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Thayer, Missouri
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great location across highway from airport. Convenient and quick shuttle to airport with free parking on their lot. Mom, Dad and teenager all looked forward to sleeping in luxurious beds. We stay there every time we fly out of St. Louis.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Clark, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is apparently just a "set-up" for taking advantage of airport travelers who don't know there is a much better experience waiting for them just down the road! We normally stay in either Drury or La Quinta Hotels since we are members of their rewards programs. Maybe we are spoiled; I don't know. The employees at this hotel acted like we were lucky to allowed to stay there!?! For starters, they have a regular parking lot just outside their front door which is simply part of their own property. It surrounds their building like most hotels. It's not a garage down the street. For some reason however, they charge $10 PER NIGHT to park there! Secondly, they charge another fee for internet access! It's not included in the room rate? Also, no free breakfast. I pity all the poor fools that travel all day, fly into St. Louis, jump on a shuttle only find a bunch of snobs waiting for them at a hotel which thinks it's way nicer than it is which has a plan of nickle and diming you to death! Ridiculous. It wasn't that nice. On top of that, there was a wedding on the top floor so the place was crawling with what seemed liked 100's of guests for this wedding. And believe me, they took top priority. We very much felt underwelmed w/attention. The entire combination led us to walk out of our room 15 minutes later and demand a refund. Luckily, the rude manager agreed to give it to us..."just this one time" she said! Ha! Trust me, we won't be back. Funny thing, we drove 5 minutes down the road to a Drury Inn & Suites which, by the way was in a much nicer neighborhood and what do you know... MUCH friendlier service, MUCH nicer room, FREE parking, FREE evening snacks - basically supper, 2 FREE drinks from the bar, FREE pop corn and soda in the lobby all night, FREE wifi, AND FREE BREAKFAST all mind you, at a CHEAPER RATE plus the point went towards the rewards program which will earn us a free room in the future! Wow... I feel better. Renaissance St. Louis Airport...don't do it unless you are just really into rude, snobby service, janky rooms, and paying extra for every living thing.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris65243
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Chris C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. I am sorry that you were not happy with our hotel and your stay. We appreciate the feedback as it helps in our ongoing efforts to improve our offerings to our guests.

Winchester, VA
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We reserved a room that would accommodate four people. Upon checking in we were told that the hotel was completely booked and the only thing available was a King size bed and they would bring in a roll away. This room did not have a pull out sofa. This still left one person without a bed. When I questioned this I was informed they could provide me with extra pillows and blankets to sleep on the floor!!! Are you kidding me, why would I pay money to sleep on the floor?? We immediately called Marriott's corporate customer service as we are Gold members and stay Marriott often. The representative quickly took care of the the problem and found us a room with 2 queen beds in the "sold out" hotel in a matter of minutes. The check-in people lied directly to us in stating they hotel did not have anything available!!! This hotel is nowhere near the standards that Marriott has set for its property. I would never stay or recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ryclouse
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear ryclouse,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Did not like this hotel at all. Multiple staff said our room was ready before we got to the hotel, and once we got there we had to wait a few hours to get into our room. Finally, an hour and half before the wedding we were attending at the hotel started, we got to check into our room.
The hotel was undergoing "construction" so no more than 6-7 people were allowed on the elevator at a time. Instead of having the sign where everyone could see it, there was a small sign in the back of the elevator. So, unless you were on the elevator before, you wouldn't know until you got in that only 6-7 people were allowed in there. So, you have big families checking in and riding to their room all at once. We got stuck in the elevator because we couldn't tell others to not get in because they never saw the sign (very awkward). We were stuck in there for about five minutes (not long thank God). The hotel staff made it seem like it was no big deal. I told them again, they need to either close that elevator OR have signs everyone so people can understand that no more than 6-7 people in each elevator.

I don't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Marlie L,

Thank you for posting your comments on this site. I am so sorry you were stuck in the elevator during your stay. I appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding the elevators. The current modernization of the elevators has created some challenges and we will correct the location of our signage to help avoid future problems.

Furthermore, I understand your frustration of not being able to get into the room and prepare for attendance at a wedding. I will review the circumstances with the staff and focus efforts on improving the processes.

Again, thank you for your feedback. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed at this "hyped up" hotel .. OVER PRICED FOR A MINI ROOM! They sent Berkeley police to put us out at 2a.m. for FALSE ACCUSATIONS ! Didn't Bother to even talk to us.. banned us from the hotel .. NEVER spoke with a manager, or supervisor. Or even a WORKER. Just the police. . I stay in hotels a lot for my getaways, business trips, vacations and this has to be the WORST ! They have no complimentary breakfast, your visitors have to pay for parking, the pool is SMALL! No Jacuzzi . You have to pay for WI-FI per DAY (YA know, free internet). It's four elevators, in which one was broken. 2 of them got stuck SEVERAL times during the stay. You have to pay for the phone calls. Incoming & out . Oh but the entrance was nice. The suites vs the standard room is a fridge and the comforter! Guess that's what your paying for ! I gave this hotel a try for my family and I will never again come back .. Not that I can. I'm sticking to my St Louis favs. And this is not near one!!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank BeeLash
Dear BeeLash,

Thank you for posting your comments on this site. It is unfortunate that your stay with us was mutually unsatisfactory.

Madison, Alabama
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I recently stayed one night after an unexpected hospital stay on a business trip. The staff were wonderful, attentive, and the hotel was very comfortable. Being a Platinum Member, the young lady checking me in was kind enough to upgrade me, and was very sweet. I ordered room service, and was pleased with the food and service. The bed was very comfortable, and room was very quiet. I'll be back in town this coming Tuesday on business, and without a doubt, I will stay here. I would highly recommend this property if you are looking for an airport hotel in St Louis.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bill925,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. I am pleased that you enjoyed the visit and appreciate you recognizing the team member that checked you in. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St Louis Airport
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!