“Mixed results loyal Marriott customer”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Repeat customer, as a Marriott rewards member its pretty sad that they are now charging for the use of the internet. This should be free especially for those who are loyal customers ( I've reached silver status for life). The African American lady who works at the bar was awesome give her a raise. I have no gripes about the elevators their must be some pain during construction and they give you plenty of signage. Again internet should be free, my room was great. Still baffled why I haven't gotten my points for the stay though

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frank b

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The red lights came on as soon as I boarded the filthy Renaissance bus. Has not been vacuumed in years. Check in was a breeze however the front desk did not mention the elevators were out of order and I should use the service elevator. I waited so long I phoned the front desk from my cell. Someone came and directed to 30 or so people that were waiting behind me to a service elevator. The icing on the cake was the room itself. Old, sunken mattress, all furniture badly scuffed, dirty, miserable. One lamp was out of order and the room was tiny. My king bed guarantee turned out to be a queen bed. The best part of this hotel was checking out which I should have done the first half hour I had arrived. Next time, I won't be lazy. I am a lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite member and if this is the way they treat their best customers, we have a serious problem.

Room Tip: Stay at The Ritz Carlton St Louis next time. It's worth the price difference.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ALAN F
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Alan F,

Thank you for posting a review on this site. We sincerely apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Each of you concerns will be addressed with the appropriate Department Manager to ensure improvements are met.

We want to apologize for your inconvenience that you experienced with our elevators. We are currently on the process of modernizing them which limits us in servicing our guests. The shuttle service, room type, and condition of the furniture are unacceptable and will be addressed immediately.

Our Marriott Platinum Elite Members are important to us and again we would like to apologize in falling short in our service.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

First of all, I was at a wonderful training for Stephen Ministry. That is excellent, if you've never gone and you are Christian, I urge you to consider it.
The hotel rooms were comfortable, especially the beds. We were on one of the higher floors which was no problem, except that the elevators were not working right. They are updating them, so hopefully by the end of the year, things will be better.
There is a nice restaurant there, but the prices are too high for the value of food. That said, the scallops are some of the best I have ever eaten. The service in the restaurant is limited and subpar for the food prices.
The other thing that I found lacking is that you have to pay for Wi-Fi in your room. In the lobby, it is free. I thought that was cheenchee.
Nice transport to the airport and back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Judi G,

Thank you for completing a review on this site. I appreciate the feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the Stephen Ministries conference.

Thank you for the review of what was positive and what was not. I will address your concer of the slow service in the restaurant. Furthermore, I appogize for the elevators during our modernization. It will be much better service as we start to bring elevators back in service following the work.

Again, thank you. I hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Okay - the good: Room was newly remodeled and very spacious and the bed was great. We stayed there using Marriott points so the price was right.

The Bad:

They charge $9.95 for wireless, $14.95 for high speed wireless. They have free wireless at McDonald's so why not here? Every other Marriott family property seems to offer free wi-fi. I can afford to pay it but it seems petty to be charging for something that is free almost everywhere.

$10 a night for parking outside. By 7:00 pm the valets put a "lot closed" sign on the gated lot closest to the entrance, apparently to reserve spots for valet parking so they wouldn't have to walk as far back to the entrance. After reading on TripAdvisor about a car being stolen out of the larger parking lot which is further from the entrance and out of view of the staff I was anxious about leaving my car in the larger lot.

There are signs outside of each elevator warning guests against having more than 6 people inside "to avoid maintenance issues". In addition, the elevator call buttons on one side of the elevator area were taped over. These elevators clearly could hold more than 6 people so I would suggest fixing the problem rather than passing it along to the guests. The elevators were extremely slow and the doors take a VERY long time to open once you reached your floor. However, once the doors open its only a few seconds before they begin to close. I watch several people being hit by the doors as they closed too quickly. Fix the elevators - don't put up signs. Faulty elevators are a safety issue and asking the guests to enforce this restriction is not good customer service.

Finally, when I checked in I was asked to sign a statement that I understood I couldn't have too many guests in my room, couldn't invite guests not staying at the hotel to use the hotel facilities, that if I created a disturbance that I understood that after one written warning I could be kicked out of the hotel, etc. Obviously they have had problems with people using the place as a party hotel, but is that my problem? Hire some security and deal with the partiers - don't start off my stay with an indication that the hotel is a glorified frat house with a ongoing problem with wild parties and rowdy behavior. There's no need for this as most normal people understand that if they act up in a hotel they can be told to leave, and to my knowledge there's no "Miranda Warning" required for a hotel to take action against unruly guests. Putting it in writing is unnecessary and again creates a feeling that guests have booked themselves into "Animal House".

Overall, I would say that the property itself is very nice and is in a good location relative the airport and the freeway. However, the problems listed above would keep me from making a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PDemarest
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear PDemarest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are very important to me and I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you and address your concerns. I can be reached by dialing (314) 429-1100. Thank you in advance.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a hotel that I really want to like...should be able to like...but it just falls short. It is a very classic art deco Renaissance that was remodeled a little while ago. It still feels fresh and newer...but they just don't get the little things right. The rooms are huge and so are the bathrooms. Now for the little things...they have a great exercise room...but the TV's on the treadmills didn't work. The concierge lounge ran out of food and the attendant's response was "we were really crowded earlier." The water pressure on the shower was so low that I had a hard time getting it to switch from tub to shower. Two of four elevators were out of order...and two of the TV channels would come and go. I spend over 100 nights a year at Marriott properties and was a little surprised by how little this property was on top of things. Great potential...but falls short of what it should be.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear cunfanico,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are very important to me and we will address each of them. Our goal is to deliver exceptional service and a great product. I am confident we can achieve this and hope you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great location across highway from airport. Convenient and quick shuttle to airport with free parking on their lot. Mom, Dad and teenager all looked forward to sleeping in luxurious beds. We stay there every time we fly out of St. Louis.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is apparently just a "set-up" for taking advantage of airport travelers who don't know there is a much better experience waiting for them just down the road! We normally stay in either Drury or La Quinta Hotels since we are members of their rewards programs. Maybe we are spoiled; I don't know. The employees at this hotel acted like we were lucky to allowed to stay there!?! For starters, they have a regular parking lot just outside their front door which is simply part of their own property. It surrounds their building like most hotels. It's not a garage down the street. For some reason however, they charge $10 PER NIGHT to park there! Secondly, they charge another fee for internet access! It's not included in the room rate? Also, no free breakfast. I pity all the poor fools that travel all day, fly into St. Louis, jump on a shuttle only find a bunch of snobs waiting for them at a hotel which thinks it's way nicer than it is which has a plan of nickle and diming you to death! Ridiculous. It wasn't that nice. On top of that, there was a wedding on the top floor so the place was crawling with what seemed liked 100's of guests for this wedding. And believe me, they took top priority. We very much felt underwelmed w/attention. The entire combination led us to walk out of our room 15 minutes later and demand a refund. Luckily, the rude manager agreed to give it to us..."just this one time" she said! Ha! Trust me, we won't be back. Funny thing, we drove 5 minutes down the road to a Drury Inn & Suites which, by the way was in a much nicer neighborhood and what do you know... MUCH friendlier service, MUCH nicer room, FREE parking, FREE evening snacks - basically supper, 2 FREE drinks from the bar, FREE pop corn and soda in the lobby all night, FREE wifi, AND FREE BREAKFAST all mind you, at a CHEAPER RATE plus the point went towards the rewards program which will earn us a free room in the future! Wow... I feel better. Renaissance St. Louis Airport...don't do it unless you are just really into rude, snobby service, janky rooms, and paying extra for every living thing.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris65243
RenaissanceSTLouisAp, General Manager at Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Chris C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site. I am sorry that you were not happy with our hotel and your stay. We appreciate the feedback as it helps in our ongoing efforts to improve our offerings to our guests.

Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Hilton St. Louis Airport
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Crowne Plaza St Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
1 mi away
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Westport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#2 of 18 in Maryland Heights

Been to Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!