“excellent and a commendation to employee Mr. Robert Stubbs.”

Hilton St. Louis Airport
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I was at the Hilton -- St. Louis Airport and we loved it. The staff and managers were all very polite and professional. I would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here in the future if in the area. I was here for an AE / AOE Sailors Reunion. I would like to take this opportunity to commend and thank employee Mr. Robert Stubbs. He worked the dining hall in the mornings and was always so friendly and delightful. He surely is an asset to this hotel. The rooms were beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 September 2010

Let it be known that I have worked for the Hilton Corporation. So now that I do a lot of traveling, I'm usually pretty lenient when it comes to what I encounter on the road. I know what it's like to be behind that desk!

Having said that, I have no problem saying that I did not find a SINGLE polite employee at that hotel. Front desk worker (I believe her name was Meg) checked me in and checked me out two days later. Her attitude was awful and she acted like I was a huge waste of her time. As a Gold VIP member, I was on the executive floor. The hallway air conditioner was broken and the actual lounge never seemed to be open.

Our first morning, we were jarred awake before 8 AM by the building fire alarm. In my bad luck, this is not the first time I've stayed at a hotel when this has happened, but the staff at each hotel were quick and informative, to put guests' minds at ease. We were usually comped something as well... something small, like breakfast. However, the staff here did not handle it at ALL, let alone well. There was a large group of people behind the building just standing out there in their pajamas with no idea what was going on. Guests were never given an explanation.

We spent two hours sitting in the empty restaurant for lunch. There were only a few tables and also having worked in the food industry (I've had a lot of jobs, haha!) I would have been able to understand if there was only one server on bustling around trying to keep up. However, there were at least 5 or 6 different servers sauntering back and forth ignoring everyone. Trust me, we were not the only table to ask the host "Does anyone work here?" Then the food was mediocre and cold, but also pricey. I wasn't really shocked.

Later that night, we got in very late because we had been at a festival all day. It was after 11, but we hadn't had dinner yet so we decided to order off the late-night menu, which only offered very few choices. Still, we were hungry and decided to split a ham sandwich. When I placed the order, I was told it would take 30-45 minutes. I was thinking to myself, "45 minutes for a sandwich that is probably pre-made?" But I didn't worry about it.. it gave us each a chance to hop in the shower. Over an hour goes by and we're falling asleep, so I called down to get a timeline. Whoever answered told me that it was on its way as we spoke. However, it was still another 20 minutes before it got to our room, which leads me to believe that they never intended to bring it up unless we called back. On top of everything, it was the wrong sandwich. Not a huge deal, but after the rest of the stay, I just couldn't believe it took them an hour and a half just to bring the wrong sandwich.

However, I do want to end on a high note. The hotel itself is beautiful and in a GREAT location. $10 a night for parking isn't too bad either. The rooms were beautifully decorated, PERFECT water pressure, and the most comfortable bed. These things were definitely silver lining, but I will never recommend the hotel. They aren't worth the awful service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ISing5678
Reviewed 23 August 2010

You have to pay $10 a night for parking but the hotel is very nice and clean. Also they have a 24hr fitness center and free internet service. Friendly staff, but very strict on security and room information

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I stayed here 1 night before a flight. It's a very nice hotel. The executive lounge is not open every night. I was there on a FRI night (no lounge or access...or extra amenity to make up for it). The room air-condition unit worked well...but when it came on it made a loud noise and rattled...sort of made sleeping difficult. I really enjoyed walking around looking at all the aviation photos (in the room...in the halls...in the lobby). I also went down the street to the Golden Pancake restaurant and really enjoyed my meal there...it beat the high prices of the hotel restaurant. I am a Hilton Diamond member...and I know I could pick the MY WAY points to get free internet...but I don't do that. I want the points. So, I don't like that they want $9.95 a night for internet service. Still - a nice place...I've stayed there a number of times since the mid-1990's.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I called a week prior to my arrival to come in a night earlier than I had originally planned. I should have booked on-line, because after being assured it was taken care of, I arrived to find the room had not been booked. The hotel was full for the night and I was told that there were no hotels within 45 minutes available. The staff did not apologize or offer to help me find another hotel. The front desk was not even busy at the time, yet they acted as if it was my fault that I had no place to stay. When I told them the name of the person responsible, they informed me that "She is no longer employed here." The actual stay was adequate - they are making efforts to upgrade the hotel and the location by the airport was convenient. I contacted the main Hilton customer service department to ask for an explanation after I returned home. It took them two weeks to get back to telling me that that the employee had indeed not changed the reservation. Thanks for stating the obvious - I kind of figured that out when I arrived and had no room! Worst night of my life in a strange town no knowing a soul. There are many other options close to the airport - choose one with a little basic customer service instead.

1  Thank MasterPlanner14
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I am surprised that this hotel is not rated higher on the list. I was there for two days on business and was very pleased with both the hotel and the staff. I did not get an upgrade (as mentioned in a previous review) but my room was lovely.

As a matter of fact, the travel company that arranged my flight got me into St Louis around 9:30am - hours before check-in. However, the personnel at the front desk were able to give me a room right away. That meant that I could get settled in and go explore St Louis. After a day of sightseeing, I dropped my weary body into a comfy chair in the bar and ordered a drink and the famous St Louis fried ravioli, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

My experiences at airport hotels has been mixed and this one was a pleasant surprise. The hotel shuttle takes you to and from the airport which gave me easy access to the metro and places around the city. The hotel's decor is lovely; the photographs and artwork add real personality to all areas - the lobby, bar, dining room, and hallways. There are "Up in the Air" images as the screen saver on the IMacs in the lobby. Who doesn't like seeing George Clooney? My room was very quiet and I was able to get a good night's sleep for my conference the next day. All in all, a brief but enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 25 July 2010

A colleague and I recently stayed in this Hilton hotel. There were a number of major issues we encountered. First, there was NO hot water in any of the rooms in the morning and we both had to have stone cold showers. Second, the air conditioning in the room was very loud. It felt like I was trying to sleep on a 747. Third, I asked the front desk to leave a note under my colleagues door (and on his account) that I would not be joining him for breakfast (because the 747 air conditioner was keeping me awake and I needed sleep). The front desk did not leave a note under his door. Sure enough, he waited for me at breakfast for a long time. Fourth, when we complained about all of the above, we were told to ring Hilton honors! We are still trying to get a refund for our stay at this terrible Hilton. Maybe they should change the name to Motel 6.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Marriott St. Louis Airport
Hilton Garden Inn St Louis Airport
Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
Drury Inn St. Louis Airport
Hampton Inn St. Louis-Airport
Best Western St. Louis Inn
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry

Been to Hilton St. Louis Airport? Share your experiences!