“Don't believe the pictures”

Marriott St. Louis Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My family traveled with me to St. Louis for a week long convention. I reviewed many properties in St Louis and chose the airport Marriott, as I am a Gold level member with Marriott, because of the two pools on property. The pictures do not show that the hotel is under MAJOR, much needed renovation. As such, the main pool is closed and the small indoor/outdoor pool was closed for parts of two days due to a tree removal and landscaping. Needless to say it was a hugh disappointment for my wife and children.

The rooms were small, very dated and not clean. The night we arrived the ceiling tiles were not installed in our bathroom and there was dust and debris on the floor. We moved rooms the next day.

As always, the staff were trained well and were pleasant to talk with. They tried their best to accomidate us as best as they could. This property has the potential to be a tremendous hotel. Right now though I question why the owners of the hotel have not been forced to modernize before now and I question Marriott's ability to allow this property to fall under this brand. This hotel is not consistant in the Marriott brand and level of service one would expect.

If I were a there to catch a flight and spend one night the hotel might work after the construction. The lounge was spacious and average. The location for the airport is ideal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JCKey
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very sorry your visit was not up to expectations. As you noted we are under a $15 million dollar renovation that was long overdue as previous ownership rarely invested back in the asset. We have owned the hotel since July and have moved fast to bring the property up to expectations. I hope you will agree, renovation progress isn't easy but is well worth the effort.

If you decide to visit us again, you will experience our transformed hotel.

314-253-5155 Direct

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

The location and value of this hotel are fantastic! Park, stay, and fly is the best value at the airport. The service is great as well. I am currently sitting in the lounge area after a long flight, what a nice oasis after all day of airports and meetings. Bonus: they are renovating the lobby and lounge area to make it even better! Stay here if you are headed in or out of the airport!

• Stayed: June 2013
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you for the positive 4 Star review. We are very happy you took note of the renovation and look forward to your return so you can experience the full impact.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can serve you in any way.

314-253-5155 Direct Line

Reviewed 4 June 2013

This is a great hotel with the best possible location. We paid $105 including taxes for a park and stay thru our travel agent. We stayed here the evening of May 24th, and the shuttle was ready for us in the morning. Our car was left for our 8 day trip without any additional fees. The room itself is very nice and the bed is very comfortable. The prices on the menu in the restaurant were a little high, so we opted to head a few minutes down the freeway to a sportsbar. I expected as much, so certainly not a deal breaker and we had time to head elsewhere. We did return for a drink at the bar which was fine.
The only other negative which was a horrible impression was the fact we parked in the long term parking area, and followed the sign that said lobby with an arrow pointing left. We went nearly completely around the hotel in order to find the door and with a bad foot, this was a sore spot for me, all while hauling our luggage. The signs need to be more accurate.. Additionally, both times we left the parking lot(to go eat and the day we left), the key card did not work. We pressed the button for assistance as no one was inside the little hut and the bar quickly went up.
Despite the negative points, i really liked this hotel and was very comfortable while staying here. I would recommend to other travelers leaving the St. Louis airport. It is literally across the street. When we returned, we waiting about 20 minutes and the shuttle arrived to take us back to the hotel to pick up our car.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for the great 5 Star review!!

We truly appreciate the comments and will share with our team as they will be delighted to hear we had a positive impact on your trip.

Please visit us again soon!!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I frequently travel for business and like to stay at Marriott properties if I can. I came here just for one night in April for a morning conference a few blocks away. Originally, it was just going to be me staying in the room. I had reserved a room with a king bed in the updated wing (I can't quite remember the name of the updated side). I found out a colleague was going to be joining me, so we decided to split a room. When I called and asked if they could switch me from a king to a room with 2 queens in the same wing, they first mentioned they didn't have anything available on that side. Since I am an elite member with Marriott, I didn't really want to have to go to the other wing, that hadn't been updated yet. One of the staff members (I wish I remembered her name) took down my number and was going to look into it more for me. About 30 minutes later, she called me back and said she was able to fulfill my request and could switch me to a double room at no charge! I thought that was so helpful and she was very friendly!

When I got to the hotel, it was very busy with airport travelers. There was a long line at check-in, but it moved pretty quickly. The room was nice and had been upgraded, which was great, and the bed was very comfortable. I really liked the workout room. It is on the lower level, next to the pool, but it was a decent sized room with lots of equipment.

I will definitely stay here if I have to be around the St. Louis airport area again.

Room Tip: Request a room in the upgraded wing. The beds are comfortable and the room has nice upgrades.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the positive review!! We truly appreciate the kind comments as we strive for excellence and it is great to hear when we have a positive impact.

We hope to see you again soon so we can continue to build your loyalty.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I are spending a three day two night getaway at the St. Louis Airport Marriott. Because of saved up points and our Marriott rewards status we were able to get a suite on the ground floor. It has a separate bedroom with its own AC, a large table in the main room and just overall a very nice room, it also has a small fridge but no microwave. We had a choice to have a pool view or airport view. I chose pool view, right choice! Lots of trees and bushes it is just beautiful. It reminded us of an island hotel we stayed in, in Guam, all of that here, in St Louis across from the airport. We have stayed here before and the last time we were in a two story suite. I have never seen a room like that one except in the movies. I was hoping for that one again but, we got this equally a good room.

All the time we were here we never heard a single plane from the room, a very quiet place.

During our stay there was a tornado that went right over the hotel. The rooms have warning speakers that the hotel management came over and warned us of the danger and to take appropriate actions. Then, when it was all clear came over again and let us know that as well. That was very comforting to know that the planners of the rooms had this much foresight as to provide this. The storm blew all of the lounges and chairs into the pool, and when we got up in the morning the staff had already got them out and were arranging them appropriately. They have what I would call a split pool, one inside and the rest of the pool outside with a glass window dividing them. There was also an indoor and outdoor hot tub. They have a very well equipped exercise room, very nicely done.

In our wondering about the hotel they have a bunch of meeting rooms I would venture to say for over a thousand people, all looked very nice and lots of breakout rooms scattered about the hotel. On the ninth floor, the concierge floor, they had breakout rooms as well with great views.
They have a Starbucks counter right next to the check in with normal prices. The prices were not inflated because of its location. There is also a restaurant and lounge near the check in. It looked nice but at this writing we have not ate there yet.

When we got into the room we were not able to find a trash can, ice bucket or tissues. I called and they apologized profusely and promptly sent someone to the room to deliver them. That was sufficient for me but the management went the extra mile called the room later and offered us a complimentary dinner in the restaurant that night. We already had plans and I asked about breakfast on Sunday, the next morning (Saturday) there was an envelope under our door with a card for breakfast for two. This is truly great service.

Overall this is a very nice hotel and I would return without any hesitations.

Room Tip: Choose the pool side rooms. Great view and very quiet
1  Thank Richard W
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you for the 5 Star Review!! We are very glad you were able to share such a memorable experience with us. The storm created challenges for us and it is great to hear the efforts of the team did not go unnoticed. We are dedicated to providing the best experience possible and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again soon.

314-253-5155 Direct Line

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We've stayed here several times when we've had early morning flights (6am). They provide a shuttle every 20 minutes which drops you off at the airport terminal you need. Perfect!!!

I will say the room service food needs help though. We orderd room service and got old cold fries which I'm guessing had been left over from lunch (we ate at around 7pm). Also the BBQ burger had too much BBQ and the bacon wasn't to my liking.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for the 4 Star Review. We appreciate the kind comments and will address the room service comment with our F&B team. We apologize the food and beverage experience did not meet your expectations.

The next time you visit, please reach out to me directly as I will gladly provide room service complimentary in an effort to demonstrate the quality food and beverage standards we are known for.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The room which we checked into initially at this Marriott was quite dusty due to the renovation going on in the hotel. The windows were filthy on the outside, so you couldn't get an untainted view. The Manager was kind enough to move us to another room which was much better, still a bit dusty and still had filthy windows on the outside. The indoor pool was small and the pool area was pretty unclean, wet and moldy. Moreover, service provided by housekeeping totally sucked. We had to wait for almost an hour and called room service 4 times in order to get a couple of extra towels. We called housekeeping before 10 PM and by the time we got any service from them, it was 11 PM which kept us awake and wasted our time and energy, and dampened our mood. Will never be going to that hotel again. Waste of time, money and doesn't live up to it's standards. We checked out the next day and moved into the Crown Plaza hotel nearby which had newly renovated rooms, great service, friendly staff and a great indoor pool for the same price!

• Stayed: May 2013
Bob L, General Manager at Marriott St. Louis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We truly regret not living up to your expectations and will investigate the issues you encountered. We hold ourselves accountable for a 15 minute response time all guest requests so it is frustrating we did not execute at the appropriate level.

You will also be happy to know, the indoor pool is also on the renovation schedule.

Again, thank you for the comments.

Line

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Downtown
Marriott St. Louis Grand
Marriott St. Louis Grand
#25 of 124 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark

Been to Marriott St. Louis Airport? Share your experiences!