“Journey of the Maji”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
kidderminster
“Journey of the Maji”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My daughter is about to produce her first born so, to prepare my son in law for the shock ahead, I decided to entertain him to dinner. I had had lunch at The Forester some weeks before and was impressed; this second experience was still pleasant but lacked the pizzazz to vote it very good or excellent.
I had 'phoned the restaurant on two occasions, one to make the booking and the other to change the time. My telephone number was taken and, I presume, written down but when we arrived there was no sign of any booking on the list. We were greeted at the bar by Adrienne who, with Marianne, looked after us for the remainder of the evening, and each served us very well.
The decor of the restaurant is pleasant, bare brick and oak beams creating most of the ambiance. The tables are hewn as if from rock to match the ambiance, the seats are leather but a mite too low so have been provided with cushions to compensate, but I'm being a bit pedantic to comment.
Our table was adequate for two but was set for three and I had to ask the waitress to remove the extra setting.
As for the general maintenance of the building one of the light posts at the entrance was missing, probably the result of a reversing car, two of the other entrance lights were also out as were some on the interior lights.
And so for the food. The menu is sensibly not too long allowing for regular changes to accommodate seasonal food and the occasional unexpected opportunity at the butcher's and has on it many interesting dishes. For my starter I had pigeon which tasted excellent but was cold, when my main course of Wytch? sole arrived it too was tepid but again it was properly cooked and the taste was excellent. The veg were al dente as they should be and they were hot. Dessert was hot chocolate brownie which too was very good. We didn't have coffee. The bill for two was £62 which was expensive for what we got, at that price it should have been better.
It's a pity the two main constituents of my meal weren't hot enough, but after 40 years in the catering industry I feel I must say it as I saw it. The meal probably sat on a servery for too long before collection by the waitress, hence my title echoing T.S, Eliot's poem 'A cold coming we had of it'. The experience didn't ruin the evening and I would like to think I will return. The problem for The Foresters is that there are so many other good places in the area creating very good competition.

• Visited March 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a wonderful place”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

This lovely country retreat is a little gem. Very friendly welcome by staff and local customers. We felt like we were amongst friend with in moments. Thank you all at The Royal Foresters wonderful experience indeed

1 Thank Christian K
Worcester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I would need a a really good reason to return here for a meal.”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Second time forba meal here and second time very disappointed. Only 3 tables and us being attended plus a party. Lack of welcome and atmosphere upon arrival. Service poor throughout meal. Starter hot but main meal luke warm. We were on the verge of leaving as dessert took so long to be served. Reason given for this was because of the party of people being looked after!! I accept that parties are very profitable for any restaurant business but if you don't look after your day to day customers then a reputation and repeat business can soon disappear.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank vimo423
Rock, United Kingdom
“Restaurant with a superb staff.”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We called last minute and 15 minutes later were sat at our table in what was a very busy service
( it was Burns night). Faultless service from very happy, willing staff. Perfectly cooked meals full of flavour and generous portions. I am sure we will be back again. A warm, welcoming and wonderful evening.

• Visited January 2014
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Perfect country pub!..”
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I have only visited the Forresters on a couple of occasions with my partner when we have dropped in without booking. Fortunately we have always been seated and served promptly despite the restaurant being evidently packed! On one occasion there was a band playing in the other half of the pub. This wasn't too intrusive on our meal as we were say around the back. However it was nice to have the entertainment there as an option to enjoy. Food was of a high standard with a fair few specials on offer on the menu. Oysters and duck being my personal favourites. Will be sure to return more often and use the little gem that's practically on my doorstep!

1 Thank Hmf91