“Very friendly welcome”
Review of Biddestone Arms

Biddestone Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Biddestone
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Biddestone Arms in the beautiful village of Biddestone offers everthing you would expect from a village pub. Excellent homemade food, Cask Marque ales, fine wine list, impressive Sunday Carvery, open fireplace, lovely garden large car park and boules pitch.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very friendly welcome”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My brother were lost and called in for a drink on our way to the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. We received such a friendly welcome we had lunch as well. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. We both enjoyed our pies in the garden with a refreshing cider each. After lunch, we left our car in the car park and walked around the village which is a must if you have time. Thanks to the lady who used to work at the Cross Keys and her colleague behind the bar who made us both so welcome. Hope to see you again next year. Kathy

Stroud, United Kingdom
“nice for a special treat”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

not the widest choice of menu, particularly if you do not like pie, but I liked the specials as an option. The portions are not huge but satisfying. It is not the cheapest of menus, but food well-cooked and service good, and prices are on par for the type of menu offered. My friend and I particularly like the 1/2 pud option - very reasonable for £2.95, and just the right size portion for us after a couple of courses. Very nice pate for starter. This is the second visit for my husband and I in recent years, and we were not disappointed with our meal, despite some comments from local friends that meal sizes had reduced in recent times. We were meeting up with very old friends whom we had not seen for some time so wanted a relaxed venue with good food where we could catch up - and this certainly was the right place, although I did feel that towards the end of the evening staff were keen to clear up the restaurant and for us to leave, even though it was only 10.00! We would eat here again, and the restaurant was full on the evening when we were there so it is worth booking if you want to eat here.

Jersey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Who ate all the pies?”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Well, that would have been me, given half a chance. As it was we were in the area for only two days and delighted to find this place.
I can't be the only one tired of ordering a pie only to be presented with a ladle of stew topped with a ridiculous oval of puff pastry, about as convincing as your average wig. Not here.
The shortcrust pastry was delicious, and the contents more so. I had the venison and smoked bacon the first night and the steak, ham and stilton the second.
Both were excellent and served with Pommes Dauphinoise and their excellent mix of peas served with finely sliced green beans and spring onions, both served in generous, but not daunting, portions.
The service was excellent, friendly and attentive (another reviewer downgrades for slowness; perhaps they need to slow down) and with three excellent beers I can't and wouldn't fault it.
By the way, the mini desserts are excellent value if, like me, you are a trencherman.
We love to visit Lacock and this place is an added reason to do so.

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly service, good food, amazing pie & chips!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Fabulous little village and a good pub. We booked a table for four seated in a bar area which was very pleasant. The staff were efficient and friendly, the food arrived in good time. Lots of fish on the specials board and award winning pies on the menu. The pub had a good selection of beers and (as I'm a cider drinker) both Thatchers Gold and Aspells.

My steak and ale pie was pretty fantastic (see badly taken picture). My friends enjoyed their main courses as well but didn't rave about them quite as much as my pie, for example the new potato side dish tasted like it'd been under the heat lamps a little too long. Overall it gets 4 stars as the menu was quite pricey and while being value for money it didn't quite wow us as a group us into 5 stars. With one round of drinks (we were all driving), two courses without coffees came out at £30 per head including tip.

If it had just been me and my pie & chips it would have been 5 for sure, I don't know how they do their chips but they were worth the visit by themselves!

In summary - definitely worth stopping in for dinner.

• Visited August 2014
“Good food let down by slow service.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived and was greeted by a lovely waitress and given a menu at the bar. Waited for some time and a chap said he would be with me shortly. He then proceeded to serve two others who as far as I could see were not there when I arrived at the bar. I got bored of waiting and left to go to the other pub. It was not serving on a Monday night so I returned. When I did I tried the other side of the bar as thought it may be quicker!! Was eventually served by the chap who seemed to be run off his feet. I was asked to leave a card or pay up front as I was eating outside.

The food arrived with the chap and he pointed me in the direction of the cutlery over by the entrance to the garden. I have to say I would have thought it wouldn't have been hard for him to grab a set on the way over.

Pork belly was lovely and had some good crackling.

I then ordered the mini sticky toffee pudding. This too was delicious. Thoroughly recommend it and think the mini pudding is a great idea as I certainly did not need a large one!

The waitress could not have been politer throughout. The barman did apologise for the delay when I went to settle up so clearly my feedback had been taken on board. It is a shame it couldn't have been better in the first place. First impressions stick sadly.

I would return happily and give it another shot as the food was good.

James H, Owner at Biddestone Arms, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you had to wait to be served and that you were disappointed. But thank you for returning and giving us another chance! You mentioned that the waiter was run off his feet and although we endeavor to ensure that we always have enough staff to give our customers their full attention, sometimes this unfortunately cannot be helped. We can only apologise in this instance that we could not deliver our usual high standard of service. I hope that you will visit a second time and give us another chance to prove that our service is as good as our food.