“More attention to detail”
Review of The Badger Inn

The Badger Inn
Devon, United Kingdom
“More attention to detail”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We generally enjoyed our stay at The Badger but noticed a few details that would have made it even better. We were in The Plough room but there was no full length mirror which would have been useful and although a couple of glasses were provided there was no water. Some bottles or a jug of water would have been appreciated, especially as the weather was very warm. Although we were staying two nights the room was only partially serviced after the first night, the bed wasn't made and the bathroom wasn't cleaned. But the bed was extremely comfortable.

At breakfast, although cereals were shown as being available on the menu, we were not offered them and had to ask what cereals they had. Similarly we had to ask for marmalade to go with the toast, although there was a dish of butter on the table. We would have expected a selection of preserves on the table. We

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Phil

Julie whom deals with the rooms and breakfast service was most upset when she read this, it was her day off, but Julie always says my rooms which generally sums up her passion for service levels. Since your stay if its Julie's day off we have put extra checks in place to try and ensure that this doesn't happen again.

I think your rating was more than fair and if you stay again please make yourself known to any front of house member and ask to speak to David so I can make this upto to you. I have already expressed my disappointment to the front of house member whom looked after you.

Many, many thanks for your more than kind review.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Period building with all modern interior, very tastefully done. Bedroom, Solid wood furniture, simple, stylish, cosy and a comfy bed. Well stocked bar with REAL ale. I didn't have an evening meal but the menu was appealing. Porridge for breakfast though wished I had gone for the smoked haddock, spinach and poached egg. Highly rated, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Philip

Thank you for the review, it gave us all a lift and hopefully the next time your in this neck of the woods on business you'll get your smoked haddock breakfast. If I'm honest its worth the trip from Northamptonshire.

Many thanks again

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a friendly group of staff and what a fantastic night's sleep. My husband and I were in the Spinner room and we've never know such a comfy bed. Clean room, lovely bathroom, good food and beer. Everything you want and in a lovely setting.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jake

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Thanks again

Skipton
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We used the Badger as a stopping off point on a journey from Scotland to Heathrow only about 6 miles from the M6, arrived on a day when there was a village event on behind the pub so parking was a bit difficult but did not have to wait too long for a space to appear. Staff were very welcoming and our rooms were well appointed, clean and comfortable. We inquired about an evening meal but were informed there were no tables available apparently due to some having been recently re-polished, they did however manage to accommodate us and were sure glad they did the food was great along with friendly service plus good ale to boot!!! Breakfast was leisurely and again very good, unfortunately we were not too hungry as a result of the great dinner the previous evening. After retiring to bed it was a little noisy from downstairs but it was a Saturday evening so it was to be expected I suppose, did not affect us too much. All in all a most pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We had two rooms one at the front the other at the rear, both were more than adequate.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Brian

Thank you for the fantastic review, the village event is once a year and I'm afraid the locals do go town as the pub was shut fro six years so with no land or car parking the village events were on hold. The tables were in a desperate condition and I'm. Glad to say they are all back in situ now, I appreciate it was the wrong time of year but if I'm honest I've only just been able to afford it.

I have already spoken to the front of house team with reference your table but I'm afraid that could be down to me and staffing levels. Next year I will defiantly increase the staffing levels.

The chefs had read your comments before I mentioned this to them and were all smiles so a big thank you off them.

Many thanks for the wonderful review

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We came here for a meal on a Tuesday evening. From the moment we stepped inside, the owner made us feel very welcome, had a great sense of humour, and made sure we were well looked after the entire evening! The waitress was lovely, the food was amazing, pricing was very fair, and we didn't have to wait long between our starter and main. Even though we couldn't fit a pudding in, the owner gave us a little taster of the chocolate brownie, which was probably the best I've ever tasted, so definitely next time! Thanks for a great evening :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello princess

See I remember you very well, thanks for the great review and making a memorable evening for us all. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner and we genuinely loved serving you. I'll see both for pudding next time.

Look after yourselves sand I look forward to serving you again

Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went because we had enjoyed a pleasant meal one Friday. The choice was standard for a Sunday and the starter tasty and generous. When it came to the main course it was massive and just overwhelming with a complete lack of subtlety. For some reason it was served in a soup bowl, which didn't help matters. Left most of it, and declined pudding.
Shame, we thought we'd finally found somewhere nice to eat in the area.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear PPguest

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your main course after your tasty starter. Was it just the size of the Yorkshire pudding that put you off or the whole portion. We do serve certain dishes in large bowls and others on wooden platters, we can always put them on a plate for you if you ask any member of staff. Mark our head chef takes great pride in the presentation of his locally sauced food and will be most disappointed with your comments. As your local we would love to put this right, please do not hesitate to contact me, Mark or Layla the Badger's managers.

Thanks again for writing a review all feedback for us is positive as we learn do learn and act on it.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The badger at church minshull is a very pleasant place to stay, the staff are very helpful and the rooms very nicely appointed and rates are reasonable too. I arrived for dinner after the kitchen should have closed but was still offered hot food, great service! Wifi was slow on my second visit but it may just have needed rebooting.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Discerning salesman

Many thanks for writing a review, we are looking at internet speeds but I'm afraid we are inn the rural rollout. We do achieve on average a couple of meg on download so maybe as you say if it was slower your last visit perhaps a reboot is in order. Since reading this originally we have had our tech support in and hopefully they say we are back on full steam.

Thanks again for the great review

Also consider these accommodations in or near Church Minshull
De Vere Cranage Estate
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester

Been to The Badger Inn? Share your experiences!