“Good but didn't live up to the hype”

Dal Nonno Restaurant and Pizzeria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic Italian family run restaurant, serving traditional Italian regional dishes and pizzas in a relaxed and charming ambiance. OPEN TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY FOR LUNCH AND DINNER.
Crawley Down, United Kingdom
“Good but didn't live up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Having heard rave reviews and unable to get a table for a couple of weeks we were very excited! Our table for 2 was in the thoroughfare to the kitchen, it shouldn't really be a table at all. The waiter couldn't stand next to us to take the order because he had to let other staff pass and on several occasions I was "bumped" as they went by. The staff however were very friendly and enthusiastic. The food was OK. The special pate was good but my lobster linguini was really disappointing, lobster like rubber and no real flavour. Will give it another try as maybe a one off. Living in Crawley Down we really need a good local restaurant and want to support it.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Tracy D

Caterham, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere. Good selection on the menu. Reasonably priced.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I have no issue with the quality of the food at this restaurant. It's not claiming to be fine cuisine. It's reasonably priced, standard Italian, with a wonderful atmosphere. Always busy so that's a good sign. I have been three times and enjoyed it every time.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank Jimvin
West Sussex
“Excellent Food and lovely staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have heard good things about Dal Nonno and took 2 friends there last week. The food was marvellous, freshly cooked and really good. They don't skimp on portions and the Antipasto starter plate was excellent Suprisingly the drinks were reasonable and I can reccomend the House Italian Wine. Lovely atmosphere On a Saturday night the place was really buzzing with staff joining in and chating away. Very helpful staff who took the trouble to explain the menu and laughed at our pathetic Italian !! My only negative comment is that at times the music was competing with the sound of quite loud conversation and it was often quite hard to hold a conversation. Highly Reccomended, but I suspect that you will need to book ahead

4 Thank booklady1
London, United Kingdom
“I really wanted to like it .. Bit I left feeling flat”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Restraint looks nice and everything is cooked in a open planned kitchen always a good sign

I had prawns as a starter expensive for a small starter! Then the liver which was very bland and served with roast potatoes and veg like a roast! Not a Italian twist like I was expecting ..

The table next to me had pizzas and left most of the dough on the plate

Shame because the service was friendly

6 Thank Jonathan W
AA1978, Owner at Dal Nonno Restaurant and Pizzeria, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Hi Jonathan, I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent visit to our restaurant. We are a small family run restaurant that has only been open 10 weeks and our general feedback & reputation is excellent so it is disappointing to hear that you didnt enjoy your meal. We pride ourselves on doing the best we possibly can to ensure our customers leave happy and have taken your feedback onboard and do hope you will return one day and give us another try.
Kind regards

Adriana
horley
“Promised much - offered very little”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We visited with friends to be greeted well by one of the lady owners.
We were shown to our table and offered a wine list-all good so far.
The wine ordered was good value and served in nice glasses.
We wanted something to nibble prior to our order arriving so we ordered pizza bread with extras but were astounded when more free bread and oils arrived 1 minute later.
Then amazingly,the starters arrived less than 1 minute after our garlic breads and oils with cheese. This made them all redundant of course.
The starter sardines were not undercooked THEY WERE COLD AND RAW we sent them back of course with a message to not hurry the process. The male owner returned with them some 4 minutes later, they were smothered with raw onions and some nasty tasting pesto with too much garlic paste added. They were undercooked but just edible but tasted quite awful but we were hungry..
The mains came up but were totally unremarkable. The pork medallions were not medallions at all but slices of pork. They were tough and the very meagre carrots and squeaky bean portions, and I mean meagre, were undercooked again as were the sautéed potatoes which were nearly white in colour.
Eager not to waste more money we called for the bill which again surprisingly included the raw sardines, paid and left.
Top tip, get your kitchen sorted if you want to survive the initial euphoria.
Not an experience I wish to repeat soon.

7 Thank bedwetter
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us recently. Being a small family run restaurant we try our best to ensure all our customers have an enjoyable meal/experience with us and generally we have an established an excellent reputation in the short time we have been open. I am very disappointed that your food reached your table the way it did, unfortunately mistakes can happen and obviously wasn't dealt with to your satisfaction. We have taken your feedback onboard and do hope that you will give us another try one day.

Kind regards