The Greyhound Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
The Mercury(Westhoughton)
View Hotel
All reviewshaydock racesnational holidayssofa bedsteam roombit datedwedding venuebusy roadovernight stayreception stafffull englishduty managercooked breakfastpintmotorway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2011

It says that it's 4 star quality @ 2 star prices. Well i can honestly say it's 2 star quality @ 2 star prices. You get what you pay for! I can't quite decide between the plastic flowers cellotaped to the banister or the extremely strong smell of shake and vac , that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside...NOT! or the 2 beds - 1 hard and 1 small and squishy....which one to choose?? The people were very nice and the breakfast simple, straightforward and tasty. Whilst I can say it is value for money and relatively clean, the noise of the running machine from the gym next to our room was annoying.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathmac100
Reviewed 28 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here on the 27th May 2011 and can honestly say that it is the worst Hotel we have ever experienced.
The first room we were allocated faced out onto the main road and the curtains were hanging off the rails so didn't even cover the window. The quality of the hotel was visibly poor and so we asked for a refund immediately which was refused. We were advised that we would have to accept another room. The new room we were given had better curtains but the guarantees of better quality was sorely mistaken. We experienced a night of little sleep with a dripping tap and shower in the bathroom and a mattress that had obviously had it's day. When my wife and I tried to sleep we not only rolled into the middle of the bed but the springs made so much noise it woke us up every time we moved.
The hotel itself was falling apart with bits of rail lying on the floor where it had fallen off the wall. Pealing paint and a hole in the back of our door which you could place your hand in to.
The restaurant at breakfast matched the standard we had already come to expect with food dripping in grease, stewed tea from a flask rather than freshly made. It was also surprising to see that despite the 4 or 5 waiting staff in the restaurant we were directed to a table that had not been properly cleared and still had the remains of the last diners breakfast on it.
Needless to say we both left the majority of our food.
I asked to speak to the Manager as I was not happy to be paying for such a poor service or quality of accomodation so asked to speak to Mark the General Manager only to be told that there was nothing he could do and I would have to write in to their Head Office.
Please, please, please don't make the same mistake as us and avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank TsukiWaza
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Stayed in this good looking hotel march 2011. Only had a suite available and the price was fair for a nice clean laid out room.
All seemed fine until night time when the noise started from the pool pumping staion located under rooms beginning with 50- Unbelieveable amount of banging noise non-stop all night the room was shaking. I complained at 2.30am and was simply brushed off.
I checked out early and had a peaceful hours sleep in the car.
Was not offered any help of any kind was shocking and will never stay again even for free.
Apalling hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Londonawaits
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Having stayed in the sister hotel in Middlesborough, I was expecting a similar standard in Leigh! I was wrong!!

We booked the Leisure Break advertised and booked for £110. When we arrived we were charged £120 and told that the price had increased. That may be the case but it was not what we were quoted! All the more amusing was that they were still advertising the break in the room at the old price.

The hallways and corridors could do with a bit of TLC, however the rooms were ok. Nicely decorated and the bathroom looked nice. But the 'power' shower was less power and more dribble. Plus you couldn't change the temperature, so it was boiling or nothing! I found later that if you had the taps running on the sink you could regulate the showers temperature! There was so much condensation on the windows in room that it dripped off the window sill onto the carpet.

We eat in the hotel the first night. The duck I had was awful. It tasted like mud. I can only presume it was off. My partner had chicken pasta and the sauce was watered down. The attached pub again could do with some TLC and had smashed windows. The local pubs down the road were lovely though.

When we were there the Sauna wasn't working and there was classes in the pool which meant there wasn't much space to swim. The cleanliness of the pool area was poor! There was mildew everywhere and the pool cover was falling to bits and there were pieces of it all round the pool that had not been brushed up.

The staff weren't too helpful. When checking in it seemed a hinderance to the conversation she was having with her fellow desk colleague and the two leaning on the other side of the counter. This wasn't helped by the lack of explanation of the price increase. The ladies who cleaned the room were the friendliest people there!

Overall, I'd never go to this Sporting Lodge again but would not hesitate to drive 150 extra miles to the Middlesborough one again.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank JohnCon80
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I booked a family room which was spacious enough, however the beds were extremely uncomfortable and seemed to want to push my wife and I to the middle. We were also woken up at 4am by the couple in the next room returning very loudly. We were then subjected to listening to them using the sort of language you don't want your kids to hear. My wife rang reception, who eventually answered, to complain. Although the noise level did reduce we could still hear pretty clearly what was being said or done! And believe me it wasn't family listening! The wall was that thin it would have been possible, if we'd wanted to, to have a coneversation with the couple in the next room without either of us leaving our respective rooms.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank rob_a085
HereAtLeigh, Guest Relations Manager at The Greyhound Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2011

We apologise you did not enjoy your stay with us:

We have since looked into the best possible way to ensure non of our guests are disturbed - this includes introducing a no sale point past 2am in the morning as to minimize intoxicated guests disturbing other residents.

We are also in the process of purchasing new beds for the rooms

We hope this goes someway in restoring your faith in us and you could give us another chance

On Behalf of the Greyhound Hotel Leigh