All reviewshaydock racesnational holidayssofa bedbit datedbusy roadvery pleasant stayduty managerjacuzzi
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Check in was OK. The very young receptionist didn't give us any information regarding breakfast times, restaurant etc. The rooms were large & clean if a little dated, there are no toiletries in the bathroom so take note.
We went into the restaurant to get something to eat. I ordered a sandwich that was listed on the menu as Lancashire Cheese & Red Onion Marmalade. It was to be served with red cabbage, coleslaw & kettle chips. It was in fact a grated cheese & raw red onion sandwich with no coleslaw or red cabbage but with some soggy crisps. For £4.50 I thought that was a bit much. One of our other party had to continually ask for their food. Two sandwiches took over an hr & there was no apology or explanation.
We didn't pay a lot for the room through Booking.com & I'd say we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are on the 6th floor. I would ask for a room facing away from the very busy roundabout
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I travelled to this hotel on a Newmarket Holidays trip to Tatton Park Garden Show with my friend.

On arriving at our hotel we were allocated a twin room as per our request and it stank, not only of cigarettes, but of some air freshener trying to mask the smell. We tried to make the best of it, but after about 15 minutes I was having breathing difficulties, so went and asked to be moved.

The woman on reception was very helpful, but said that there were no free rooms. We asked to see the manager. We also asked if the smoke detector worked as it was a smoking room. They did not answer. The receptionist said that Newmarket were aware that some of the rooms were smoking. I questioned the legality of making a non-smoker sleep in a smoking room. The manager said he would see what he could do, but to go and have dinner (which was at 6.30 - far too early but not negotiable). Dinner was awful and most of the group were very dissatisfied with it. Staff were friendly but disorganised and we waited an hour for the vegetarian option which we were told would be delivered to our table, only to be told it was at the carvery, then having queued there we were told to return to our table, where our option was delivered, however we then had to return to the carvery and queue for our vegetables. It was most definitely not worth the wait . We could not face the dessert, so returned to reception where we were told we had been allocated two single rooms. We then had to go and repack and make our way through a wedding reception with our bags.

The new rooms were certainly less squalid than the first room, however they were shabby and my dralon chair had a cigarette burn on it. The door did not seem very secure, there was no safety chain (although the hotel guide said to use one for security). There was also no spy hole to see who was outside the door. Both of us slept with the chair and stool under the door handle as we were worried about security. There was a hammering on the door in the night, which was very frightening (had we been sharing a room as requested this would not have been so alarming). As there was no peep hole I could not see who it was. Neither of us got much sleep.

Breakfast was awful.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Parvatithecat
Reviewed 24 July 2012

just stayed there for 2 nights. it was perfect in every sense. they could teach some of the big hotels and chains a few things. the staff are trained to be polite and friendly, they are just naturally lovely, nothing is a problem. The place is immaculate. The rooms have everything you require, including a fan! - should the sun come out. The food here is AMAZING, if this place was nearer to me, i would eat out all week.

Great wedding venue.

I can't wait to go back soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed here, with a friend,for 7 nights. The suite we had was very clean & comfortable. The pub food was delicious & reasonably priced. Shower & bath in bathroom, very good long bath & powerful shower.
Reception area very comfortable & always manned. Complimentary newspapers for guests.
All the facilities were good but, it's the staff that make it such a pleasant place to stay. (Jack & Rachel x)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jackiekirk
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Greeted by a lovely receptionist who was more than happy to help with our early arrival, rooms were clean and had tea/coffee facility, trouser press, iron and hairdryer, we made use of the gym. pool, sauna and jacuzzi, the greyhound pub was a great atmosphere. Great breakfast this morning the staff had a busy morning as everyone wanted to eat at the same time but was happy to assist. all in all for price we had a fantastic stay we would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple