“Introduced via Facebook!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Barn Steakhouse - CLOSED

Old Barn Steakhouse
Cuisines: Irish, British, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Old Barn Steakhouse is located in the village of Markethill, County Armagh. Proprieter James Richardson, is a multi-awarding winning Chef, including Ulster Tatler Chef of the Year 2012, and Janus Chef of the Year 2013. The restaurant specialises in top quality steaks, but offers a wide variety of menu choices to it's patrons, including an extremely popular Sunday carvery. Lunch is also served 12 -4pm, Tuesday - Saturday.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Introduced via Facebook!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Facebook has a lot to answer for! In the case of the Old Barn, Markethill, I will always remember with delight the day we became friends!

Just a few days before Christmas, I was frantically trying to book a table for two for December 27th ... my birthday! ... and no-one was either taking bookings or were going to be open that night. that is, except The Old Barn! I dropped them a message on Facebook, and the rest they say is history!

James (the owner) assured me that we would be looked after ... and we were. From first entering to finally leaving we were treated really well. Amanda was our server on the night and she was (and I'm sure she is) really friendly, but yet professional. I highly recommend here for her service.

My wife had the mushrooms for her appetizer and I had the prawn and salmon timbale ... probably the best starter I have ever had! Both the quality and quantity was superb!

Main courses had to be steak, after all it is a steakhouse! My wife had a the steak medallion tower, which was exquisite, and I had the smoked sirloin, which was simply out of this world! Never had I tasted such succulent, tender and tasty sirloin steak, and even reminiscing now is making my mouth water!

We also enjoyed an excellent Crianza!

The appearance, both external and internal, is pleasing to the eye, and the ambience is so, so warm and friendly.

Unfortunately, we have not been back since, but we are booked in for my Son's birthday in June, and we are looking forward to it expectantly.

A real 5-star experience. Very highly recommended.

And who said Facebook is a blight on society? Not me!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Wallace45
Peter S, General Manager at Old Barn Steakhouse, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your review, and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Old Barn Steakhouse - we look forward to seeing you again in June!

Armagh, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Husband took me here for mother's day, it was our first visit and it wont be the last!! from the welcome greeting on arrival, our table was ready as soon as went in, staff are exemplary, our starter order taken right away, following these very tasty( veggie broth for me,prawn cocktail for the hubby) starters we took our place for the carvery,,what a selection on offer, we both went for the turkey and ham, two thick slices of each, potatoes (lovely creamy mash) roast potato, carrot/parsnip/turnip medley, and a cabbage side, gravy and cocktail sausages all on offer,( other meats on offer were lamb,or sirloin roast), I didnt think i'd finish mine,,but managed it,,then beautiful desserts finished our meal, again very tasty, i had pavlova, hubby had baked alaska, we shared a little from one another's plate and i can honestly say it was the best! Along with a glass of orange for me and a coke for hubby total cost was £38.70.. a snip! we have been charged more in other places for a less substantial offering which didnt come close to the old barn's in taste and quality. a very clean and cosy place to eat, soft music in the background and staff doing their duties without fuss,even leaving a member of staff thanked us for coming and wished us a happy day, an all round great day for us, we will be back!!!

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank EileenGreene58
Peter S, General Manager at Old Barn Steakhouse, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hi Eileen. Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your visit to our restaurant! Our Sunday carvery is very popular, and we always strive to provide good quality, coupled with reasonable pricing. It is always nice to hear that our efforts don't go unnoticed, and we hope to see you again soon at Old Barn Steakhouse.
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“wee gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

On a rare date night we decided on a road trip for our night out, and it was well worth the journey. The old barn was perfect from start to finish. The decor is lovely and the staff were friendly from start to finish, great opening impression. Menu is varied but we decided on the steak deal. For starter i ordered cheesy garlic bread and my husband had garlic mushrooms. They may not be the most exotic starters but they were delicious and proves the importance of keeping things simple and doing it perfectly. Next to the main event- the steak , I am very picky about my steak and the way its cooked and I can only remember two restaurants where it was passable. I was not disappointed at the old barn, great quality meat , melt in the mouth. I like mine rare and my better half prefers it cremated , both serving were correct to order and plentiful. We asked for a wee gap before dessert, which was no bother. Dessert was beautiful, great end to the the meal. Wee note to the management- your staff are very professional, interested and provide a lovely relaxed atmosphere and i think a pay bonus would be well deserved. Will be back and would recommend

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank andimark
Thank your for your kind words, and we have passed on your compliments to our staff. The people that work with us are our most valuable asset, and we constantly strive to ensure that they are rewarded for the excellent work that they do. Quite a few have been with us since we opened, almost four years ago now, and they are always delighted when we can pass on praise received from customers. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review, and we hope to welcome you back to the restaurant in the near future!
Richhill, United Kingdom
“Nice night for a steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited the Old Barn on a Saturday night. Staff were very friendly, and led is to our table straight away. Orders were taken in the same fashion. The place has a nice ambiance, soft music in the background, and we were parked next to the tropical fish tank... Result! Fairly busy that night, but a member of staff was never far away. The food was reasonably priced and the fillet steak was spot on. Nice to see most of a meal included in the advertised price. The only reservation was the cost of a sauce for the steak... £2 plus seems a bit excessive - especially when you're buying the fillet. That said, we will be going back. So, that was a good night out!

4 Thank Tigers729
Peter S, General Manager at Old Barn Steakhouse, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the restaurant. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Gilford, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to eat and great nite out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Had a beautiful meal and staff were outstandin nothing was ever a hassle for them to do. Quick service and very good value for money. Had a brill nights craic and the atmosphere was good.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Gbyrne47
Peter S, General Manager at Old Barn Steakhouse, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Old Barn Steakhouse - we hope to see you again in the near future!