“A most spectacular dive experience with some true professionals!!”

Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Bonne Terre Mine is an unique abandoned Mine. When the mine closed in 1962, the pumps wer turned off and it flooded. We maintain the lake level with pumps for the Boat/Walking Tours and the Scuba Dive Operation. All year long the temperature of the mine is 62 degrees. We are open 7 days per week until October 1. Tours start at 9:30 and go every hour on the half hur ie 9:30,10:30,11:30,12:30,1:30,2:30, and last tour at 3:30. Please arrive 30 mins prior to the tour you would like to take. No reservations necessary for groups smaller than 10.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My brother and I went on the underground tour at Bonne Terre Mines with our families and this introduction led us to query the folks there about doing a couple days of diving since we were certified divers: What an awesome experience!! Not only were the mines something to behold, but the folks from West End Diving/Bonne Terre made every effort to insure our underwater dive experience was a memory we would treasure forever.
This is one adventure that you do not want to miss. We enjoyed the diving, the education, and the personnel at both facilities who made this venture possible!!

2  Thank Jerry H
"jacques cousteau"
"elevator shaft"
"bonne terre mine"
in 62 reviews
"the water is crystal clear"
in 8 reviews
in 11 reviews
"great adventure"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Highly recommend the mine!! Some of the most amazing views, crystal clear underground lake! Great guides! Very friendly! If you're lucky you will get to see some scuba divers!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I just got home from an awesome two day SCUBA adventure in Bonne Terre. We did three trails on Saturday, and one today. This was my first diving since getting certified in June. The water is chilly. A 7mm wetsuit, boots, and a hood were enough to keep me comfy. I only used gloves today. I wouldn't say they are necessary, but most people were wearing them. The diving was spectacular, the staff was very friendly and professional (giving closer attention to those that needed and requested it), and I will definitely go back. Pictures do not do this place justice, and just when you think it is all going to be a bit repetitive... there's something new and fascinating. Way cool!

Why only 4 stars? I was expecting a bit more from an outfit that runs what National Geographic calls "one of America's top 10 adventures". The place is a bit rustic (which does add to its charm), and there is only snack foods on site. You have to pack a lunch, or you can drive to any of the nearby restaurants to get real food (which I couldn't do because I was with a dive shop group). Maybe I shouldn't hold something against them because I assumed it would be there (and might have found out the facts by doing a little due diligence), but this next thing... Before we did any diving, we had to sit through a video about safe SCUBA (on a VCR!!!) that was nothing new or specific to diving in the mine. I understand the need for strict rules, but the video was a waste of time. There are always briefings before each dive anyway.

3  Thank Gill G
BTM_Staff, Owner at Bonne Terre Mine Tours - West End Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for the great review!
You guys where a fun group and we look forward to having you dive with us again!
The "risk awareness" video you mentioned is required by our insurance company.
On Site we do provide a nice heated and air-conditioned lounge with cable TV and internet access with coffee,snacks, etc. And, a locker room with warm air blowers for drying wetsuits in between dives.
We do not offer food service at the mine because, several restaurants deliver soup, sandwiches, pizza, and pasta, to the mine. The nearest restaurant to the mine is only 50 feet away. Major fast food restaurants are only 8 blocks from the mine.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We (gf and I) were in Bonne Terre, Missouri last weekend for a friend's wedding and were told that we should check out the mine tour. We went, expecting this to be the only show in a very small town. It was absolutely fascinating! A massive abandoned lead mine, all carved out by hand over generations. The guide told us that all of the lead used by the US military from the civil war through WWII came from the vein that Bonne Terre had tapped into. You descend down a standard mine stairway to enter into a huge chamber that looks like a natural cave. You get guided around down there until you get to the water, a "billion gallon lake" that has filled up a little more than half of the mine. Apparently, in the middle of the US, this is a top ten diving destination! I'm not a diver, so instead we took the boat tour on the lake. Very unique experience, riding a pontoon boat 200 feet underground! If you ever find yourself in southeast Missouri, this is definitely worth a stop.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Found out about this place on another website. Decided it sounded interesting and made a stop there on our two week around-the-middle-of-the-country motorcycle tour. Have been in a couple of other mines and a number of caves previously but this was different. Five levels, bottom three flooded with crystal clear water after the mine shut down and they stopped pumping the water out. They indicated that Jacques Cousteau came for a one-day visit and ended up staying five. We're not SCUBA divers but can appreciate that it would be great to not have to fly somewhere to have a great experience. The immensity of the mine and learning its history were really cool irrespective of the water aspects. Admission was $27 (Sept. 2013) but the uniqueness took the edge off that; had paid $22.50 for a cave tour the day before.

1  Thank Gary L