“Hurry, Before It's Too Late”
Review of Ravenswood

Ravenswood
Ranked #12 of 16 things to do in Boonville
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic home, built in 1882,and farm still owned and preserved by the Leonard family.
Reviewed 10 October 2012

You'll rarely find a place like this, and it can't last forever. If you truly love authentic old houses filled with the original furnishings and the little things of daily life, this is it. It hasn't been renovated or redone, or sanitized to museum standards - it's just a very old place, still owned by its same family, falling gently and naturally to ruin. Things are where they've stood for over a century, and piles of stuff are untouched since long-dead hands left them there. Wow, the atmosphere is amazing. I know the family is trying to keep it up and I wish them success, but I'm sure the costs and work needed are overwhelming. The woman who gave us our tour was very friendly and incredibly knowledgeable about the family and the house. She had a lot of good stories to tell, especially about the ghosts. Get here while you still can.

9  Thank Valderi1
There are newer reviews for Ravenswood

Reviewed 5 March 2012

During my undergraduate days at Mizzou in the 1950s I often drove past Ravenswood from my original home in Sedalia. It was not until I was in graduate school in the 1960s that I met Jamie Leonard who was also studying history. Through Jamie I came to know his parents and spent many happy times at Ravenswood and often joined Jamie's father, Charles, as he conducted tours. I always found the house fascinating but even more interesting was the Leonard family. I recall meeting Mrs. Leonard's mother who was then residing in one of the out homes and remember her telling how she kept wearing out the dresses she had bought to wear at her funeral. Unfortunately, one of my last visits to Ravenswood was for Jamie's funeral and his burial across the road in the family plot. It was winter and they had to use a team of horses to take the coffin to the plot as the ground was so muddy. I one regret is that I did not get back in the later years after Mrs. Leonard had passed to visit once more with Mr. Leonard. My favorite story of Mr Leonard is when the government bought a small chuck of land on Highway 5 on his property to put in a guided missile silo, Mr. Leonard would drive his "farm" car, a Lincoln, across his property to watch the progress of installation. Once, they tried to get him off the site but he informed them that until the government paid him for the land it was still his property. I often reflect on those quiet and serene days amongst a fine old Missouri family. Note: I was requited to put a date for my visit(s) but clearly that in not correct.

10  Thank linglelobo
Reviewed 1 March 2012

House has lots of interesting history and stuff on display, but needs a good cleaning.

3  Thank MO8ball
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We could've spent hours going through all the stuff in the house. It was kind of like someone left there 100 years ago & never came back... but so neat.

2  Thank dyldal
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This home is in need of some serious renovation! The family is doing their best but they are in over their heads with this one! The period clothes are in tatters because they aren't kept in a climate controlled environment. The gentleman that guided out tour was very nice and knowledgeable. This would be an excellent museum if it was completely restored and ran by people who could help preserve it the way it should be.

3  Thank TBJ3