“Roark Vacation Resort will do . . . .”
Review of Roark Resort

Roark Resort
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We visited Branson, Mo in early June, 2011. We planned to stay a full week - but only got to stay 5 nights. No fault of the resort. This is a quite, family type resort. Good Location.

SIZE OF UNIT: We had a first floor 1 BR unit located near the pool. At first we were worried it might be too noisy – but it was just fine. We had no noise issues at all. The resort appeared to be less than half full. The season had not really started. It is possible that being so close to the pool could have posed a noise issue had the resort been full.

CONDITION OF UNIT AND PROPERTY: Although this resort is not brand new or especially modern, everything was completely adequate for our needs. The property was nicely landscaped and well maintained. The unit was clean and comfortable. Older, dated decor - but we had no issues with that.

KITCHEN FEATURES: Our unit had a full kitchen (sorry, NO oven) with 4 burner cook top, microwave, full sized refrigerator, coffee maker, ice-maker and toaster. I believe I saw a blender in the cabinet. It had everything we needed in the way of cooking and cleaning equipment and the equipment was in good condition. There were dishes and silver for four, adequate serving pieces, etc. We cooked several meals while there and I cannot complain about the kitchen set up at all.

They even provided dishwasher detergent! :0) That was a bonus. You can tell that even though the property is older, it is well cared for. Everything worked. The unit was clean and comfortable. There was a Queen bed and large mirrored closet in the bedroom and double sinks in a separate area and the stool and tub in enclosed bathroom. The sofa was a sleeper sofa - we did not check it out for comfort.

The only thing about the unit that could pose a problem, if you are older, was how the whirlpool tub was set in place. If you lack mobility it may be VERY difficult to get in or out of this whirlpool tub/shower. I would guess you would need to lift your leg at least 2 feet or more to get over the top of the tub. I think it should have been a sunken tub but was just set on the floor. We managed – but an older person might have a bit of a problem. If this could be an issue for you – be sure to ask about the tub layout IN ADVANCE of check in. Each morning the maid was out sweeping sidewalks and dusting for cobwebs, etc. The whole property was kept very clean.

One more thing about the whirlpool tub: I am sort of paranoid about this sort of thing so I researched how to clean them and basically it required the purchase of some white vinegar and I just filled the tub with hot water and poured a couple of cups of white vinegar into the water and ran it through the jets for 10-15 minutes and drained the tub and refilled it with clean water and ran the jets another 10 minutes. I just felt better about using it knowing that it was really clean. It was a simple and inexpensive solution. Otherwise, I would just use the shower.

CHECK IN and STAFF: Our check in went smoothly. I was a bit apprehensive about the fact that they made a ‘paper copy’ imprint of my card and had me sign it in advance. They said they would not charge anything to it (and they did not) and gave it back at check out – but, I wasn’t completely comfortable with this procedure. I imagine it is a protection for them if we were to cause problems or damage.

The staff was very pleasant, accommodating and helpful. I believe they can handle any attraction tickets you may need. We did NOT participate in their Vacation Promotion/Sales tour – they try to sell you a club membership in exchange for a freebie of some sort. We chose NOT to do this. We also took care of our own ticket purchases elsewhere.

ACTIVITIES: We didn’t participate in many resort activities. We did enjoy a mixer one afternoon with music and free drinks. This type of mixer and the music would probably NOT appeal to the younger crowd. We had no children with us and didn’t pay much attention to children’s activities – but I think they do have planned activities.

The pool appeared to be the biggest draw for everyone. It was nice sized and kept very clean. I do think it could get crowded if the resort were at capacity. They had loungers and tables with umbrellas – but I am sure those would be at a premium in high season. We did enjoy the pool a lot. It just happened to be unseasonably warm the days we were there in early June.

AMENITIES: There are very few ‘amenities’ on site – no spa, restaurant, etc. Most people visiting Branson will usually be spending some or most of the time ‘off property’ visiting the shows and various attractions – since there is so much to do in Branson for all ages. It is one of our favorite vacation destinations and we visit at least once a year.

EASY ACCESS TO ATTRACTIONS: The resort is within especially easy reach of Branson Landing and there are nice shops, restaurants, ice cream shop, etc. We went there a couple of evenings just to stroll around and enjoy some ice cream. At night they have a water fountain show with lights. Nice restaurants and an interesting Irish pub that we enjoyed.

The resort is nearest to Branson Landing – but isn’t very far from all the other attractions in Branson. Branson isn’t that large atown - so, nothing is that far away. If you familiarize yourself with the Branson map they give you at check in – it is easy to avoid ‘Route 76’ - which in high season is a massive time waster. AVOID HWY 76 IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Use the alternate routes – it makes it so much easier to get where you want to go without the hassle of enduring bumper to bumper traffic on Hwy 76. Driving that route more than once will deter you from visiting Branson – so, avoid it and the headache.

SUITABILITY: The Roark Vacation Resort is definitely a FAMILY resort. It has a very laid back and slow pace and does NOT have a party atmosphere. It would be a perfect fit for older couples, families with kids of all ages and extended families. Some of the units are larger – sleeping up to 6.

We enjoyed our stay and would gladly visit again. It is far from a fancy resort and does not compare to Chateau on the Lake – but hey – you can always drive over and enjoy their brunch on Sunday. We always do.

If you are looking for a family oriented resort that isn’t too fancy but is clean and friendly - especially if you get a deal like we did – you will enjoy Roark Vacation Resort in Branson, MO. IF you get a good deal - it is worth it.

I would not call it romantic or luxury at all. Just a basic, older, clean, well kept resort for families.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank C M

Reviewed 19 October 2011

we have not even arrived for our trip yet and already we have been lied to. I was trying to turn down this offer and was then connected to a "supervisor" and she offered me a cheaper rate, 2nd vacation, free cruise, coupon book, and a $50 gift card, but low and behold when it came down to it no one knows about the gift card and it isn't mentioned on the supposed recorded call when I accepted the offer, duh I know now the "stop" button must have been pushed because I was on a speaker phone and both myself and my husband heard the offer for the $50 gift card that we could use for food or gas or whatever we choose. This will be the last time we ever deal with Roark for sure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Dana M
Reviewed 28 July 2011

If you have ever been to Branson you know how frustrating it can be just to get around. I had low expectations from past Branson experience but was surprised that the resort location made it easy to navigate past the traffic and get around town. The front desk was particularly helpful at mapping out routes that avoided the Highway 76 traffic but still got me to where I wanted to go in only a few minutes. It was 100 degrees each day and I was happy not to spend my time in traffic.

The condo unit itself was nothing spectacular but it had everything that I needed and was extremely quiet...the only noise was the icemaker. The unit seemed to be converted from a couple of motel rooms but there were bigger and better condo units that I didn't see. I had a one bedroom, ground floor unit with a partial kitchen (no oven). I would rate it higher but couples or families might find the unit too small and they were repainting one of the pools so everyone was in one pool on some very hot days.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo