“Great for kids but beds are hard and breakfast stinks!”

Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark
Ranked #124 of 140 Hotels in Branson
MISSOURI
“Great for kids but beds are hard and breakfast stinks!”
Reviewed 8 November 2009

My family and I stayed at Castle Rock last night and we enjoyed it for the most part. The water park was fun for the small kids, but I would say any kids over 9 or 10 wouldn't enjoy it as much. ITt was really nice to see all the life guards. The room was a nice size, and the additional room with the bunk beds were handy. The kids loved having their own flat screen. I wish the air conditioner really meant it when it gave the high, low, auto options. I opted for high, but it stayed on the auto option and kicked off and on all night. My back hurt in the morning from the hard beds! Breakfast this morning was not very good for the money. The biscuits were burnt and the eggs tasted so bad the kids wouldn't even eat them. They advertise a certain price and then added extra for drinks, which added up quickly with four kids. Overall the customer service was good and we would stay there again, but only if we get a discounted rate again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Missouri
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I nearly canceled my reservation after reading all the poor reviews from earlier in the year. I understand that some may have had bad experiences when the hotel first opened, but it seems that all that has been resolved. We arrived in mid-August, and we thought it was a blast. Sure, not a "high end" resort like some may think, but not a low end hotel either. Its somewhere in the middle for "quality." Check in was fine, only 2 behind the desk at the time, and the line grew behind me....but we were pleased they let us check in two hours earlier than check in time. The water park was great, especially for little ones. Outside, a 3' pool, and a 1' wading pool with a couple of nice slides. Lots of area for parents to sit in chairs, chaise loungers, and tables with umbrellas. Inside, 2 other 3' pools, a 7" wading area for itty bitty kids, and another large 1' wading area with three cool slides. Lots of water and sprinklers squirting everywhere. Upstairs was the lazy river, 2' 4" deep. The only issue I had with that is that it went faster than expected for a "lazy" river. The current was fairly fast, and for a beginning swimmer, it may be too much for them without a flotation device or life jacket (of which they had tons for kids to use). My daughter is learning to swim, and at times I felt she might have gone under if she got caught with other people in their rafts, and she was pinched between. Once I saw her hand go up as she went under the water, and the lifeguard jumped up....but her head bobbed up a second later..... I told her to stay away from the rafts, b/c she could get pulled under. Lots of fun though, water everywhere for those who like to get wet! As for the room quality, the vanity was a nice marble, carpet was clean, bathroom was new and clean, beds were clean, the only thing I thought could have been improved was there was no refrigerator or microwave.

PROS: lots of lifeguards at the pool, and they werent just sitting around either. Very alert, walking around the entire time, watching the pool. Towels provided, no need to take any. Felt very safe, and we didnt use a locker. Nothing was ever touched. Lots of tables around to sit. Kids loved the pool areas, and our older child liked the water slide. (the other one was not working). Nice and clean rooms, no bugs (like another post mentioned), clean linens, nice TV, cool area for the kids to sleep in the bunk beds..... Another plus for a fussy mom, the public bathroom outside the pool area was clean and nice. Lots of showers for those who stay across the lot in the other hotel. We will visit again.

CONS: no continental breakfast... strange that a hotel this nice doesnt have an area for breakfast, but they told me I could get b'fast in the restaurant. We never did visit the restaurant, b/c we had places we wanted to eat off site. Laundry facilities were still not in order as they have on their hotel map. I went to check so I could do a load before leaving, and the hook ups are there, but no machines. I never did ask tho, if there were machines on another floor. I agree the beds are hard as rocks, and creak when you move. I am one tho that travels with ear plugs due to "noises" not heard at my house. So I plug up every time I travel. I couldnt sleep the first night very well due to the mattress, but I was so tired the 2nd nite, I did sleep. Kids will sleep anywhere, so they didnt complain. Another "issue" for me personally, that doesnt affect my family is "noises." I noticed I could hear bratty kids upstairs jumping on the beds and running thru the halls....... didnt notice noise from neighbors on the same hall we were, but upstairs, yes. This could be at any hotel, however.

Our only "complaints" were the laundry facility and we had to get our cards recharged the 2nd day. Ive been at other hotels where cards need recharged, so that's no biggie. Considering all the other complaints on this website, ours were very minor. If you're expecting a high end hotel, this is not the place. I put the quality as one you might have at a 2 or 3 star, but still very clean and nice (especially considering the water park connected). I think I would say this only due to the beds......at other hotel chains, they have NICE mattresses & linens. And, they have microwaves and refrigerators. So these amenities for me, mark this hotel a little lower than expected.

2 Thank MissouriBusyMomOfTwo
oklahoma
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Read all the bad reviews and just had to respond. I had booked this hotel and almost cancelled when reading some of the reviews but it was too late to get another hotel due to the summer car cruise in town that weekend. I checked in on a Wed and left on Sunday and never had a bad moment. I was on 3rd floor in main building and water park was great and the ice and vending machines were on our floor so was handy. My room was great - cleaned every day and plenty of towels. When I checked in was given only 3 water park braclets but called back down to desk and she said since I had only checked in with 3 people thats what she gave but I could pick up the other one-just come down and get it! I would say make sure you book for the main tower building.

Arkansas
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We had 3 rooms in the "extra" building at this resort. When reserving we opted to save a little money by not staying in the hotel connected to the waterpark. Our assumption was that the walk across the parking lot would be the only difference for the savings. Now, we certainly HOPE that the hotel rooms are in better shape. We had a dead phone line in one room, a dead lamp in another. Even though there were lots of empty rooms, we were placed as far from the parking lot as possible. The room keys had to be "re-keyed" for two of the rooms, even though one key had been laying on the bedside table all day. We were told that the keys were very sensitive to being in pockets and purses-- but laying on a table?
And don't start looking for ice. The only ice machine was in yet a third building -- another walk across yet another parking lot. Totally unacceptible.
The high-speed internet connect was definitely NOT high-speed. There was barely a wireless connection -- so slow that many websites couldn't make it.
The kids loved the waterpark -- the only true bright spot of this visit.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
CastleSplash, Manager at Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark, responded to this review, 23 November 2009
On behalf of Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark, please accept my apologies for the difficulties which you experienced during your stay at Castle Rock. As a valued guest, we appreciate your business! I can assure you that the problems to which you have indicated have been addressed. I am sorry that the hospitality you received was not typical of our high standards. Castle Rock Resort & Waterpark hopes that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a wonderful stay.
oklahoma
Reviewed 2 August 2009

My famliy and I come to Branson, MO every year at the end of the summer. This time we wanted to stay somewhere new. We choose the Castlerock because of the splash park. We arrived and almost instantly i had a bad feeling. The line at the counter was at least 12 people long, the woman at the front of the line was complaining that the price of her room was different than the price she was quoted. The girl behind the counter was not sympathetic at all and told her that she was welcome to find another hotel if the price was not ok with her. We were ready to be checked in and we were told that we owed 140.00 in addition to the price of the room for the splash park in the hotel. We were told when we made our reservations that the splash park was included in the price, we paid anyway because that was why we stayed there. We were disappointed in the fact that there is NO breakfast offered in the morning, but there is a semi-acceptable resturant in the hotel where you can buy your breakfast. I think for 130.00 a night i should at least get a contenential breakfast, we were told they offered breakfast but the front desk did not mention that it was not part of the hotel price. The staff was rude when we asked for additional towels. This hotel is not worth the money. The water in the pools had way toooo much chemicals added and it made my youngest daughter sick. The general manager did not ssem to care when i told her about it and when i asked her for her bosses number she replied that it was her dad. Apparently the hotel is owned by her parents, if i wanted a snotty hotel heiress to be rude to me then i would have stayed at the HILTON. At least i would of gotten a hot breakfast, clean towels, and a nice staff.

2 Thank cmbair131
Bryan, tx
Reviewed 2 August 2009

First of all, they charge extra for the water park, which is located on the property.....but no one even checks for the wrist bands once in the waterpark.... so you pay $30 more per night than if booked with waterpark access and you could still get in free. The restaurant there is not really a restaurant, more like a snack/ fast food place. Beds were tooooo soft, couldn't sleep well. And they do have fridges and microwave for an additional fee, unless you have a disability- then you get them free. Clean room, but will stay elsewhere next time we travel to Branson.

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Our first impression of this hotel was very good at first. We stayed in the new main building with the waterpark. My two boys, 5 & 7 loved their bunk bed with their own TV. I was impressed that the rooms were newer and clean. We went to the waterpark which the boys loved. The lazy river looked dirty - kinda like river water - I got in and got splashed and it felt like my eyes were disenegrating - the chlorine was so strong!!!! I immediatley had to get out and find a towel. I don't know how my boys were able to stand it - they did the waterslides for a couple of hours. I just sat and watched with my eyes burning still. That night my poor 5yr olds eyes were all bloodshot and looked like he got punched in both eyes. They had dark circles underthem and were all puffy. Then we went back to our room and I seen these weird bugs crawling on the wall in the boys bunk den. I've never seen bugs like this before-freaked me out when I went to kill them and they moved REAL fast. I killed 3 of them - then in the morning when I was taking a shower I seen 3 more!! Also, other reviews stated there was free breakfast-fruit, bagels, yogurt, etc. The night before I had asked someone where that was, and they said the continental breakfast was in the restaurant. My husband got up early and went down to get something to eat. He asked someone again and they also told him it was in the restaurant. When he went to check it out, they were hateful with him and said they quit that a week ago - It would be nice if they would update the other workers so they are not telling guests there is breakfast. The workers attitude about it really pissed off my husband - in the meantime I was freaking out about the bugs because I seen MORE. We decided then, after seeing my 5 yr olds eyes still red that we would not be staying another night. When I went to tell the front desk I spoke to a manager and told her about the bug situation. She said they spray everyday because of the waterpark and it was probably just waterbugs. Acted like it was no big deal. She did immediatly send mainteneace up, and I showed him the bugs (I noticed even more hiding up in the corners and creases of the walls) He said he would be right back to spray - I told him to just wait until we were gone because we were leaving right away. Also, the waterpark does have a lot of lifeguards on duty -which are all teenagers. I wasn't impressed that they blew the wistle on my 5yr old for running (kids get excited), but then they can goof off and flirt with each other by throwing cups of water at each other and one even ran up to the girl he was changing shifts with and knocked her in the water!!! - don't blow the wistle on my kid, then do something that would have gotten anyone else in trouble!!!

1 Thank calebnconnorsmom