“Gone to the Dogs”

Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge
Missouri
“Gone to the Dogs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2008

We've been staying at Compton Ridge for ten years. The Sims family ran it wonderfully for many, many years - then two years ago a new company took over and their management (use that term loosely) is HORRIBLE.

They will not hesitate to change the campsite you reserved (even a year in advance) to another less desirable site and they will not bother to tell you until you arrive for your stay. We've had this happen the last two reservations - we'll have a confirmation showing the exact campsite we reserved, then call a week in advance only to find out they rented it to a "monthly" renter and had moved us to another site. Basically the monthly renters dollar is more important then the repeat weekend customer's dollar.

Many long time customers of Compton Ridge are not returning. The management is rude and unresponsive, particularly if you have an issue such as the one mentioned above.

I've been an advocate for Compton Ridge for many years, always sending people there to stay. Not anymore.

• Liked — Location & Setting
  • Disliked — Management that knows nothing about customer service.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank gss2fan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Missiouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

We have stayed at the Compton Ridge Campground for years and have never been unhappy. The Sims family and staff always went out of there way to help and make you feel welcomed. We stayed in Sept. 2007 and Oct 2007 after new owners took over and both times we were very unhappy with the staff very rude. My husband has always come in with our trailer and set up and then I come and pay. This day I had stop before getting to campground and he said that as soon as he went past the office they came right behind him in the golf cart. He said you would have thought he was going to do somthing wrong now they have to escort you to your camp site if you have been camping there for years why would you need a escort. Bathrooms have always been cleaned in the morning and afternoon not now trash on the floor paper towels out. I stopped by one after noon to see if they had a calander like the one the Sims put out every year and was told no by the Owner she looked up just to say no and went right back to her book work that was very rude she was to busy to talk short and sweet. That made my final decision that I would not ever be back. I work with the public every day and if you want there business you treat them with respect. They are losing business by treating customers like this. Being rude and unfriendly does not do well in a business.

• Disliked — Unfriendly customer service from Owner and Staff.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank camping_family_dog
louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

We have camped here numerous times over the years and loved it! We sent friends there also, but will NEVER again! When we arrived (after waiting several min. for employee to get off the phone) Judy was VERY rude to me. I felt like I was on a rush assembly line. She would not let us walk or drive to pick out a site (they were at an extremely low capacity), when I asked to be taken by golf cart as we have always done in the past she said NO we could not leave our vehicle in the assigned parking area in front of the office other than to check in! It was very late in the day and there was hardly any business. Not sure of what we needed I ended up with a site that cost $50.00 YES $50 per night! OUTRAGEOUS, it was my husband and I and our 2 children, $50. Then few days later when we returned for the day I sent my oldest to the office for a roll of quarters to wash clothes (they make a profit) and he was told he could only get $4. By the time I finished my shower and found out and headed back to the office to complain because that will only wash 1 load of clothes, the office had CLOSED. grrr! When checking in I questioned the ticket purchase for silver dollar city and Judy was VERY aggitated that I was taking too much time, so I decided we would get the tickets the next morning before heading out. Needless to say our whole day began behind because I did not realize the office didn't open until 8:00 a.m. RIDICULOUS! Others were waiting at the door for breakfast items and were very upset. Ohhh also the bath house and laundry rooms were EXTREMELY HOT!!! They used to be a/c but they did not have them on and NO FANS! If you showered or washed clothes after 8:00 a.m. you did so in sweat! The cleaning crew came each morning at 9:00 - 9:30 to clean the bath house which was very annoying ( DUHHH - THATS THE TIME EVERYONE IS TRYING TO USE THE FACILITIES!) If they waited any later in the day, I'm sure it was too hot to work. I don't mind paying $50 a night somewhere like Disneyword where you get what you pay for and service is the best. If these people are going to charge that kind of rate they need to provide the service and PUT CAMPERS FIRST!!! That slogan is the biggest joke in Missouri ... we laughed everytime we passed the sign on the building... Wake up people, you are losing business EVERYDAY!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — employees
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank seasonsoftheheart
sac
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

Our family reunion was held in Branson June 19-22. Most of our family was booked for this location for over a year. A close family member who is handicapped/wheelchair bound made a reservation for this event and was told of the cancellation policy at this time. Two week before the event she was hospitalized for an emergency procedure in Columbia,MO and is still hospitalized at this time. Needless to say the minds of our family were occupied by this emergency and were inside the week cancellation policy before an attempt was made to obtain a refund under compassionate means. Our family is not in a position to lose money frivously and Contact was made with the Manager Ellen Power to receive a refund of this deposit to no avail(rules are rules no exception). Please keep in mind when making a reservation that Compton Ridge campground is a location with out a heart.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank cv580
Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

We have camped at Compton Ridge with Sims Family for 10 years. It was excellent. When the new corporate owners bought the Sims family out everything changed immediately. We were there when the change took place. Rudeness from employees was unbelievable. The people running the campground have little knowledge about campgrounds or RVs. They also have very little knowledge about the maintenance of a swimming pool. I guess when it comes down to it it is more important for corporate to make money than for customers to be satisfied. Luckily in Branson there are campgrounds that are friendly, affordable, and make you feel at home just as the Sims family did. Heartbreaking as it is we will not camp here again!

3 Thank OklahomaPopup
Monett, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

We spent 2 nights in a tent at the Compton Ridge Campground, and everything was excellent. I was a little concerned after reading the reviews, as we usually stay across the street at the Wilderness. We could not have been more pleased. The staff was very friendly. The campground is well taken care of, and offers many amenities. The outdoor pools were not open yet, and we didn't use the indoor pool, but it looked very inviting! I especially liked the covered kitchen decks on each site. The bathrooms were clean. The showers are a little cramped, but that is normal at a campground. I have never figured out why the showerheads at campgrounds are only about 4 feet high!! The place is huge, and it is kind of confusing finding your way around at first. The tent areas weren't to busy, so it was very quiet. Except for the usual rude people who allow their dogs to bark for hours. We will definately stay again.

• Liked — the beautiful views and the covered kitchen decks
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Licking, MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2008

My family and I have been going to this campground since I was just a few months old, I am now 24. The Sims family was my family, and when I had my twins I told my mom I wanted them to have the same experiences I had. The first two times we took the girls down there the Sims family still owened the campground. They treated me and my family like one of their own. You could always count on seeing smilling faces, and warm hearts everytime you entered the campground. Anything you needed or even things you didn't need they were willing to help you in any way they could, and if they couldn't help you they would find someone that could. Every member of the Sims family new you by name and treated you with respect.

The new owners are just the opposite. You can't count on much out of this bunch, but the one thing you can count on is they are not the Sims family. You never want to count on friendly service, warm hearts, and a good attitude. I very seldom seen any of them smile. And don't expect them to offer to help you in anyway shape or form. It is hard enough to get them to help you when they are asked. The facilities are not as clean as they used to be. The indoor pool last time I was there was cold and the roof was missing (some indoor pool). I WILL NEVER go back to this campground to save my life, and I WILL NEVER recomend it to anyone at least not anymore. If you choose to go I hope you have a better outcome then I did with my family.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family