“Great Place to stay in Branson Mo”

Windmill Inn & Suites
Ranked #118 of 133 Hotels in Branson
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Windmill Inn is a great place to stay in Branson Mo. It is in the middle of the strip. Very family friendly with many type of rooms at very reasonable rates. The new owners are very nice people who want their guests to enjoy their stay. Great value. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sean O

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I booked this place through booking.com for Memorial Day weekend. I chose it because it is right on the strip and so close to the Tanger Outlet Mall. At the time, the booking.com site showed a rating of 8.1 out of 10, which is considered very good.

When I walked into the lobby to check in, I noticed that they had a framed certificate showing off their 8.2 rating from booking.com in 2013. When I gave the woman my information, she claimed the system showed me booked for 8 nights instead of 2. I showed her my confirmation for 2 nights, expecting her to make the correction in her system. Apparently she couldn't do that, so she called her manager. It took him several minutes to get there. Meanwhile, another couple was waiting to check in. The woman claimed she couldn't find their reservation at all. While we were all waiting for the manager, another guy came in to say his remote control was not working for his tv. This was 3 problems within the first few minutes of me being there! I should have taken that as a sign, but I waited patiently until the manager arrived. After about 30 minutes, he was eventually able to get us checked in.

We drove around the building and parked near our room. Immediately upon entering, I realized that we had been given the Family Room (no sitting area), though we had booked and paid for the Family Suite which was described as having a sitting area. My husband and I debated on whether to ask to switch rooms, but were drained after the drive and long check-in process.

I searched for an outlet to charge my phone. Most hotels have outlets located behind the nightstands, so that's where I looked first. As I shifted the nightstand in the first bedroom away from the wall, I noticed that there was no accessible outlet, but there was a strange white powder on the floor along the wall. I thought surely it wasn't drugs; maybe it was shavings from the drywall. All of the outlets in other parts of the room were occupied (lamps, fridge, microwave, AC, etc.) and several had extension cords plugged in, which seemed like a hazard.

I went to the other bedroom to look. When I shifted that nightstand, there was an outlet where I could plug in my phone (I had to unplug the alarm clock first, no big deal). When I saw there was white powder along that wall too, I really got curious. As my husband came in with the last of the luggage, I asked him to take a look. Meanwhile, I went to get the kids setup in their room. As I put one of their suitcases on the bed, I saw a small dark pellet move on the bedspread. Upon further inspection, I realized that it was a rodent dropping! I screamed to my husband who came over and agreed it was a dropping. Then it occurred to me that the mysterious white powder was rat poison! I could not believe it. They knew we had our 3 kids with us. Why on earth would they give us a room with rats and rat poison in it?

At this point, I made all the kids stand up and not touch anything while I called booking.com to cancel the reservation. I did not want to deal with the hotel directly because I was not open to simply moving to a different room. We needed to get out of there! The people at booking.com canceled the reservation and helped us find alternative accommodations. Of course, being a tourist town and a holiday weekend, it was impossible to find a place for a family of 5 for two nights. We ended up having to stay in a different place each night, but I was fine with that as long as there were no rats, droppings or poison.

When we went to check out within 30 minutes of checking in, the manager did not even ask why (maybe booking.com had already contacted them). He simply refunded our money and said good night. After this ordeal, I planned to leave a detailed review (like this one). I could not understand how this place could have such a good rating. Surely we weren't the only people to have this experience. Then, I realized that I would not be able to leave a review on booking.com, since I canceled the reservation and did not stay the night. Most likely this has happened before, but the people who left without staying never got to leave reviews.

I have stayed in many hotels/motels/inns/suites at various price ranges, but have never ever experienced this kind of nastiness! Please see the pictures below.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Savontb82
George P, General Manager at Windmill Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I remember that I had to make a single phone call to fix your reservation issue. You DID not bring any issue to our attention and decided to call third party and wonder why we did not question your decision to leave our hotel!

Third party called me, and said you are not happy because there is no sitting area in the room. We were nice enough to give you FULL refund without any question asked. We did not retain our cancellation fee either.

We have monthly pesticide records which are enough to prove that we do not have any rat issue. Thank you

Management

Reviewed 16 May 2014

As first time travelers we found Windmill inn to be in heart of Branson. After driving for such a long time, we were glad that we can walk to most of our attractions. The hotel is conveniently located. We were really surprised that the room was very clean. Most of all, the front office lady was really helpful to find us discount tickets and went extra mile and called us after 10 minutes to make sure that our room was comfortable. The breakfast was okay, but we were not expecting much anyway. This place is any traveler's dream. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DavidSmith121
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My friends and I found the location of the Windmill Inn to be very convenient and easy to access. The entire staff was extremely nice and helpful, Ron gave good advice on attraction locations. The cost was very economical, the back balconies have breathtaking views of the Ozark Mountains I have stayed there in the past and will again.
Vicki

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank vicki c
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Had a very comfortable stay and Ron was very personable and helpful! The price was great as well. We had a very nice room overlooking the pool. Also the whether was bad during our stay and the staff was excellent at keeping us informed.We will stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Nonblondechild
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Needs updated but for the price it was ok. Lady gave us a suite for a cheaper price so that was nice! Old school tvs but oh well! Paint chipped off the trim and some cob webs in the corner. Just needs a deep clean and updating. At one time was probably a really cool hotel. Located next to tanger which is great. Ok place.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Remi2012
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our stay at the Windmill Inn was great. Very hospitable people. The staff was very helpful especially Ron Snyder who told us where to go and what to see. Our room was very cozy, and within walking distance to alot of the attractions......the breakfast was very nice. We miss Branson, and are already planning our next vacation, and will be staying at the Windmill Inn.

Room Tip: corner room was large and sunny