“great price & great location”

Windmill Inn & Suites
Ranked #113 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Creston, Iowa
“great price & great location”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location. My boys loved the pool. Pool very clean. Price is what you pay for. Rooms need updated. Microwave would be nice. Rooms could be cleaner. Needed more towels. Only had 3 bath towels & had 4 people in the room. Wash clothes & towels rough. Towels & wash clothes stained. Felt like sand paper. Staff friendly! Free breakfast was not the best. But walking distance from Krispy Kreme Donuts. This was our first time in Branson so we may try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My family stays at the Windmill Inn ONLY when we go to Brandon. The rooms are cold, clean, inexpensive and the owners are extremely accommodating. Also, a nice breakfast spread is provided in the am. My children love the pool but really love the fact that put put and go-cart racing is all in walking distance. Not only is the hotel on the strip, next door is an all you can eat lobster/crab buffet, but for you shoppers out there, The Tangier outlet mall is DIRECTLY behind hotel. Thank you Windmill Inn staff for making my family feel like we are #1.

From your #1 fans...Joshua and Melody Walker

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
George P, General Manager at Windmill Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I am humble to say that you all make our effort worth. We look forward seeing at the Windmill Inn in near future. Regards

George
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Upon my arrival a gentleman named Ron checked us in a should have known then not to stay with his attitude....... but we took the family room anyway .... big mistake !!!!! The only thing good was our housekeeper Shannon( think that was her name ) she was newer .... she was so nice and even helped us bring our luggage in .....offered us anything we needed ...gave us directions to all of our shows ..... we then went back to the front desk and asked for a pillow and a extra 2 towels and was told there was none to ask our housekeeper .... well we waited for our housekeeper and again she was so nice and went above and beyond her duty to see to it that we had what we needed !!!!!! Later that night when we got back to the room we noticed rat poop in the corner of the second room and what looked like poison on the floors in the corners and behind the beds ......White powder ..... my wife called the front desk and a man names George said he was the manager and that it was preventative .... we left and will not come back I read the other ladies review and thought to myself she just may have been mad but when I seen it myself I knew I should not have stayed please do not stay here they do not take care of you at all the only good thing about this place is the housekeepers !!!!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Justaguestjusraguest
Dear Guest,

I Like to thank you for your observation. I am sorry to say that our housekeepers failed to clean up the room properly, and on top of that our room Inspector SHANNON failed to follow up on our room standard. Our commitment to you is that........... we will take proper action to correct this issue. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Branson hotels

Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Windmill Inn has very comfortable beds and extremely reasonable prices. I generally stay in condos for the week, but when staying either extra nights or just staying for 2-3 days, I look for hotels/motels with very comfortable beds and clean surroundings. This is my 2nd time to stay at the Windmill Inn. Not only is it right in the middle of the Branson strip (so close to everything) but the personnel at the front desk have been extremely courteous and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the price can't be beat. This year Windmill is partnering with the Branson 2 for 1 business (purple house at the corner of Roark Valley Rd and the 76 strip) - so my room was $35/night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
West Plains, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We wanted a convenient location on our last trip to Branson, the Windmill Inn was a perfect choice. It was located next door to a great buffet restaurant and to an amusement park where the kids could do bumper cars, mini-golf & more. Having younger children we are on a tight budget and this hotel fit us perfectly. The owner was kind & accommodating - he helped us arranged discounted tickets to many Branson attractions. We felt like the staff really cared about our experience. It's not the newest place on the strip, but it is really convenient with easy access to both the Strip & the backroads - and restaurants, shopping & attractions. I would definitely stay at the Windmill again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yvonne V
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Windmill Inn is a great place to stay in Branson Mo. It is in the middle of the strip. Very family friendly with many type of rooms at very reasonable rates. The new owners are very nice people who want their guests to enjoy their stay. Great value. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean O
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I booked this place through booking.com for Memorial Day weekend. I chose it because it is right on the strip and so close to the Tanger Outlet Mall. At the time, the booking.com site showed a rating of 8.1 out of 10, which is considered very good.

When I walked into the lobby to check in, I noticed that they had a framed certificate showing off their 8.2 rating from booking.com in 2013. When I gave the woman my information, she claimed the system showed me booked for 8 nights instead of 2. I showed her my confirmation for 2 nights, expecting her to make the correction in her system. Apparently she couldn't do that, so she called her manager. It took him several minutes to get there. Meanwhile, another couple was waiting to check in. The woman claimed she couldn't find their reservation at all. While we were all waiting for the manager, another guy came in to say his remote control was not working for his tv. This was 3 problems within the first few minutes of me being there! I should have taken that as a sign, but I waited patiently until the manager arrived. After about 30 minutes, he was eventually able to get us checked in.

We drove around the building and parked near our room. Immediately upon entering, I realized that we had been given the Family Room (no sitting area), though we had booked and paid for the Family Suite which was described as having a sitting area. My husband and I debated on whether to ask to switch rooms, but were drained after the drive and long check-in process.

I searched for an outlet to charge my phone. Most hotels have outlets located behind the nightstands, so that's where I looked first. As I shifted the nightstand in the first bedroom away from the wall, I noticed that there was no accessible outlet, but there was a strange white powder on the floor along the wall. I thought surely it wasn't drugs; maybe it was shavings from the drywall. All of the outlets in other parts of the room were occupied (lamps, fridge, microwave, AC, etc.) and several had extension cords plugged in, which seemed like a hazard.

I went to the other bedroom to look. When I shifted that nightstand, there was an outlet where I could plug in my phone (I had to unplug the alarm clock first, no big deal). When I saw there was white powder along that wall too, I really got curious. As my husband came in with the last of the luggage, I asked him to take a look. Meanwhile, I went to get the kids setup in their room. As I put one of their suitcases on the bed, I saw a small dark pellet move on the bedspread. Upon further inspection, I realized that it was a rodent dropping! I screamed to my husband who came over and agreed it was a dropping. Then it occurred to me that the mysterious white powder was rat poison! I could not believe it. They knew we had our 3 kids with us. Why on earth would they give us a room with rats and rat poison in it?

At this point, I made all the kids stand up and not touch anything while I called booking.com to cancel the reservation. I did not want to deal with the hotel directly because I was not open to simply moving to a different room. We needed to get out of there! The people at booking.com canceled the reservation and helped us find alternative accommodations. Of course, being a tourist town and a holiday weekend, it was impossible to find a place for a family of 5 for two nights. We ended up having to stay in a different place each night, but I was fine with that as long as there were no rats, droppings or poison.

When we went to check out within 30 minutes of checking in, the manager did not even ask why (maybe booking.com had already contacted them). He simply refunded our money and said good night. After this ordeal, I planned to leave a detailed review (like this one). I could not understand how this place could have such a good rating. Surely we weren't the only people to have this experience. Then, I realized that I would not be able to leave a review on booking.com, since I canceled the reservation and did not stay the night. Most likely this has happened before, but the people who left without staying never got to leave reviews.

I have stayed in many hotels/motels/inns/suites at various price ranges, but have never ever experienced this kind of nastiness! Please see the pictures below.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Savontb82
George P, General Manager at Windmill Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I remember that I had to make a single phone call to fix your reservation issue. You DID not bring any issue to our attention and decided to call third party and wonder why we did not question your decision to leave our hotel!

Third party called me, and said you are not happy because there is no sitting area in the room. We were nice enough to give you FULL refund without any question asked. We did not retain our cancellation fee either.

We have monthly pesticide records which are enough to prove that we do not have any rat issue. Thank you

Management