“did not expect to like this one” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 150 Concerts & Shows in Branson
Durand, Michigan
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“did not expect to like this one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was never a big John Denver fan, but my husband is. I went with misgivings - omg - was I wrong. James (does not try to imitate JD) he sings Denver songs and tells stories about him. Since he was a friend of Denver's, it made it so much better. Not a bad seat in the place. James also tells stories of his own life, which was so touching. He has a ranch for Foster Children - it was our honor to donate.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank judishia

Westover, Maryland
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“April 2014 Branson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Excellent show, doesn't try to imitate Denver, but he does do great justice to Denver's life and songs. Theater doesn't have any bad seats. Very enjoyable show, audience interaction and great music. A must see while in Branson.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Dave I
Sacramento, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

It's a small theater, so you're not far from the entertainers. Great band. Garrett was having throat issues so his singing wasn't up to par. Enjoyed the Denver stories. We would attend again.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bob A
Midway, Arkansas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A Tremendously Entertaining Show!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I live within 90 minutes of Branson, so I frequently visit it. I usually catch a show and spend the night, do a little shopping, sighseeing and eat at a few good places and head back home.

November 7, 2013, I went to Silver Dollar City (See my seerate review of it), and spent the night at Quality Inn (Also see my seperate review). I decided to see an early morning show. I have never gone to an early show and I thought that due to the pricing (substantially less than the late afternoon and evening shows) and time that they would be "sub-par". Well as they say in Arkansas "slap my face"!

I went to see A Tribute to John Denver at the IMAX Theatre complex. I was told it was a "tribute" that the star - James Garrett was not an impersonator. I went in not expecting much and came out totally entertained and excited to catch more of the morning shows on my next visit!

Let me start by saying the Theatre is "intimate" there are only about 150 seats and maybe a dozen rows of very comfortable seats. This is very comfortable and every seat has an excellent view of the stage. The front row is all but part of the stage!

The show started and Mr. Garrett came out and prefaced each song with stories about John Denver whom he had the good fortune of knowing personally. Mr. Garrett had a bad cold theday I attended and he apologized several times. I do not know how good his voice is without the cold, but I was very impressed with how he performed. He is a solid entertainer with a charming, "down-home" personality that involves the audience from the momnt he started.

The tribute did an excellent job covering John Denvers most popular songs and intimate stories about his lfe, family and career. I found myself smiling, clapping, hollering and singing along with him and most of the audience.

The four professional musicians that play alongside Mr. Garrett are amazing entertainers in their own right. Not only are they tremendously talented musicians on their instruments, they have a part in the performance that futher enhances the presentation. I throughly enjoyd the performance of "Dueling Banjos" and was amazed by the talent of the guitar and the fiddle player. The bass and the small guitar (I forgot the exact name of the instrument) players were equally entertaining and talented.

Mr. Paul Bluto, the owner of the IMAX, made a special apperance, and he is a talented 83 year young mand with a twinkle in his eye and a good entertainer in his own right. I loved his stories, poem and his song "Don't Should On Me"-I hope you have an opportunity to see this Gentleman on stage!

I HIGHLY recommend seeing this show. The price (and there are coupons for $3 off the regular price in TraveHost books), the intimacy of the theatre, the talent and personality of the performers, and the more than two hour performance are extremely entertaining and you will leave with a smile on your face.

James Garrett has John Denver smiling down on him in appreciation of the tribute and honor being paid to hime and delighting audiences daily!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank ArkansasEagle
Kansas City, Missouri
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Skip this one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is a group of 4 great musicians backing up an average guy. The lead could not even remember the words for his first song. Thief to sing twice then gave up and went to another song. Only tried to sing 4 formerly popular John Denver songs and mixed in a few more songs Denver wrote but few ever heard. Singers voice could not hit the correct notes on several of the songs. Backup musicians had a good mix of gospel, bluegrass, country they sang in about half the performance when the lead singer, James Garrett, left the stage. When Garrett was on stage he spent a lot of time pushing the cd's for sale during intermission and after the show.

Visited October 2013