“Absolute nightmare”

Ranked #61 of 140 Hotels in Branson
oklahoma
“Absolute nightmare”
Reviewed 27 July 2008

After many hours of trying to find a place in Branson to stay we found the Gazebo Inn online. It seemed ok and my wife loved the quaintness of it. After arriving at 4:00 our room was still not ready - we should have just left. We waited for another 45 minutes before given keys to the room. Once we drove down to the second building where our room was our keys would not work so we drove back up and were issued new ones. Still no luck so they moved us to another room in the first building. We threw our stuff in there becuase we had to eat and then go to a show. We got back to the hotel around 10:30 and then at 11pm the golf cart parked right outside our door gets started and an employee takes it to the back building. The next day when we got back housekeeping never came to our room but it was so late ( midnight) that we just let it go, besides the office was closed anyway. Then the next morning at 9 am housekeeping walks into our room without knocking and says that he didn't have our room as being rented. I had to tell them who I was and that I moved rooms when I first checked in - so they had no idea that I was in that room for two days! After being woke up I decided to stop by the breakfast room and get some fruit or something but it is too small and I couldn't even get in. I talked to the manager in the morning and he just defended everything that happened stating that errors happen - which I understand too but it was just too many errors. He did offer me a gift certificate that I could come back on - I passed explaining that I never have intentions of coming back.

• Liked — the only thing was their location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank pmathis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
KC
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We booked this motel for a stay over the 4th of July weekend. On the second day, we stopped by our room for a minute to walk our dog and take back off to make our plans on time, and arrived to find the door lock wouldn't work. We were locked outside with our 22 month old son and had our dog locked inside due to stuck hardware in the mechanism.

They were unable to unlock it and had to break the lock out after drilling it with a hole saw to get in (did I mention my dog is terrified of power tools and extreme noise like this?). This took over 1 1/2 hours, completely ruining our evening plans and on time arrival at them. We were then moved into a different room. I moved all of our stuff over to it (staff offered to help, but didn't want our personal items handled).

Then on the evening of the 4th at about 11:30 p.m., after spending 1 1/2 hours in traffic trying to get back to our room after watching fireworks, we returned to find the lock on the new room wouldn't read either of our key cards. I had to go to the office (which was closed) and call an emergency number on there while my wife, very tired son, and dog waited. Then we had to wait over 20 minutes for the manager to open the door with his key card. The manager tried to say the next day that the lock batteries were low was why it didn't work (yet his card did???), however I had the desk clerk check the cards, and he said they had no information on them, leading me to believe when the manager did activate them for the new room, he didn't activate them long enough for them to work the remainder of our stay.

It was obvious maintenance upkeep isn't a big concern at this place due to rotted railings near the office, old looking rooms, and even no grout in the tile back trim in the bathrooms. Not to mention locks that don't work consistently.

We did get a comp for one night for our troubles, but for a ruined vacation, it wasn't even remotely worth it. The staff were all friendly and helpful, it was just a bad overall experience and they need to spend some money to update the finishes and make sure the locks actually work consistently.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank kjwKc
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 7 June 2008

The hotel was well maintained, the staff was very friendly and helpful, furnishings were very nice, great location and the continental breakfast was very good (consisted of hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast, yogurt, mixed fruit, juice, coffee, donuts/rolls and cereal). I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Branson.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — All was good
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBISHOFF
Amarillo TX
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We recently stayed here with family and took elderly mother.It has been recently redecorated, new carpeting, new mattresses, as well as bedding. Everything was extra clean and NO MOLD. There are only three stairs if staying in first level, otherwise one can drive right up to room on road leading down to 2nd and 3rd levels. Very quaint, even though on main highway, sets back and still very quiet. We loved it and front desk personel, VERY courteous. Since we're animal lovers, we even enjoyed watching the beautiful red Cardinals in the morning and even feeding a big fluffy rabbit over the side of our balcony!

Miss Helen in continental breakfast room, a little too helpful, but means well. Our overall stay was GREAT! We will stay here again.

• Liked — Rooms clean, staff friendly, convenient location to everything
  • Disliked — not the best parking, but can't be helped, it's on the Ozark Mtn's!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mimiandpoppy
MO
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We booked a 2 night stay at the Gazebo for a New Year's Eve celebration. We booked a jacuzzi (Honeymoon) suite just for fun. Since we had booked thru a website we were not sure when the check-in was, so we called the hotel itself. We were told check-in was at 3 but that our room is already ready so if we wanted to come early we could, we were only 30 minutes away so we went ahead and drove down and got there at noon. They gave us the key to the room and when we went in it was obvious the room had not been touched by the cleaning staff. So we went downstairs and told them, they said they had another room, no apology, so we went up to the other room, not near as nice as the first one would have been had it been clean! There was no information in the room like there usually is, such as hotel policies, amenities, phone numbers etc.
We had stayed at the Gazebo before but we will not be back, it was very disappointing, plus the decor is looking worn. Sorry, was not happy this time!

• Stayed January 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Reviewed 20 October 2007

I prepaid for two nights at the Gazebo for my son and daughter-in-law. Upon arrival the first evening, the manager informed my son that they did not have a room for him. He said that since he had arrived a little later in the evening, he had given the room to someone else. This was very strange since it was prepaid for the two nights.

The manager took it upon himself to fax my credit card information, without my permission, to an unafiliated, lower quality hotel, to reserve the two a room for the two nights.

This was very disappointing for my son and daughter-in-law since it was their first vacation in 14 years, and I was irate over the whole situation.

I called the Gazebo for two days to speak with the owner or manager and finally on the third day, we did speak. He apologized for the incident, knowing full well that they totally did the wrong thing, especially faxing my credit card information to someone else.

The manager did somewhat make this right, not for my son though, by sending me a certificate for two complimentary nights at the Gazebo.

I don't know that I would recommend this hotel to anyone if they can't even hold a room for you when it is prepaid.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank gwb_dance
Muncie, IN
Reviewed 26 September 2007

We take a trip to Branson every year and have stayed at the Gazebo Inn for the past 8 years. We have been pleased with our stay until this year. We were VERY disappointed. I don't know if they have new management, new owners or what - but it wasn't the same.

1st off - every time we tried to leave our room we would have to fiddle with the door handle for about 5 to 10 minutes before we could even get OUT! The card key worked fine from the outside but when we were on the inside - it was a disaster. The deadbolt would never close either. We told the desk clerk about the door and she said she would have someone take a look at it. That was the first night - and no one ever took a look at it for the 4 nights that we were there. So - everytime we left our room we had to spend a lot of time trying to get out. What if there had been a fire and we couldn't get out? We told the desk clerk this and she just looked at us like she thought we were crazy.

2nd - the continential breakfast. We didn't feel it was as good as usual but it wasn't bad. However, the lady that prepared it (named Helen - I think) was a nuisance! She was in the way - everywhere you turned. You couldn't get your food because she wouldn't get out of the way. One day we walked in and she shouted at us, "STOP RIGHT THERE!" and proceeded to tell us what there was to eat. Yes - I have eyes - I can see it. Besides, that - I had been here many times before and know how to get around. Another thing that irritated us was that she had a tip jar. I understand that people do this - but this was to be a free breakfast. You pay enough for the room without having to pay for the (free) breakfast as well. Besides, that - why pay someone that was more of a nuisance than they were good?

I think it is time for a change next year. The Branson's Best motel seems like they have good reviews and look similar in price - we might try that next year....

• Liked — Price, clean room
  • Disliked — desk clerk service poor, breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family