“Not as nice as expected.”

Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Nixa, Missouri
“Not as nice as expected.”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I had always wanted to stay at the Chateau and finally got to the first weekend of December. The hotel is very nice looking on the outside but I was disapointed in our room. We booked a lakefront king ambassador suite and when we first walked in I thought they'd given us the wrong room. It was decent sized but not near as nice and luxurious as I thought it would be.
There were large cobwebs on the ceilings in both the living area and the bedroom. We never ate at the restaurants but did get some desserts at the sweet shop. It was very good and reasonably priced. The view was nice and I'm sure we would have enjoyed our stay much better if we had come during the warmer months. I really wanted to go the spa but decided to save my money as it was very expensive. We didn't really have much interaction with the staff except to check in and out. The birds in the atrium that everyone else complained about didn't bother us. Our room was back in a corner so we couldn't hear them. Overall I thought the rooms were very overpriced for what they were and I'm not sure if we'd ever stay again. Maybe if we could afford the Presidential suites. Maybe they would be worth the price.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarasmithjane
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 December 2011
Dear sarasmithjane:

I appreciate you taking the time in sharing your comments, following your most recent stay with us. Certainly feedback, no matter what it maybe, is a good thing. It allows us the opportunity, to take corrective measures, when we have not met, our guests expectations. The one housekeeping issue, which was pointed out, will most certainly be addressed with our Executive Housekeeper.
Your guestroom suite should have been in perfect condition upon your arrival. There is no excuse for it not to have been. My apologies!

Despite our shortcomings on this occasion, I am hopeful that this will not become a deterring factor in your patronage of our resort, as it is indeed valued and much appreciated.

Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Husband and I stayed the first weekend in November. We had a corner king suite and the room was very nice, the bed was comfortable, the front desk staff were very friendly and the room service the next morning was very good. We had a balcony and the views from our room over the lake with the fall colors and sunset were beautiful.
The only negative would be the hot tub. They only have one inside which accommodates 6 or 8 people which for a hotel this size is insufficient because there were a lot of people there every time we tried to use it. We waited by the pool for an hour and unfortunately there was one couple who stayed in it the entire time we were down there. It only has jets on one end and that couple set in front of them the entire time and another lady was carrying on a very loud conversation on her cell phone for at least 30 minutes. I told my husband I could take a hot bath in the room without having to put up with loud and rude people so we gave up on it.
I've had multiple back surgeries so when we are looking to book a hotel our criteria are that it be clean, have a comfortable bed, friendly staff and an indoor hot tub, every thing else is bonus so I would say 3 out of 4 is pretty good. It's a beautiful place and we would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Of course the rooms overlooking the lake are the best but I believe any view from this hotel would b...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your resort experiences, following your most recent stay. As always, it is very much appreciated. I am so sorry that you were unable to enjoy our indoor whirlpool. Your suggestion to have a larger one is a good one. If and when the time comes for us to completely renovate our indoor pool area, we will most certainly keep your suggestion in mind.
We look forward to your return visit to the Chateau in the not too distant future.

Seattle
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I have to admit that I did not have high expectations of Branson or the lodging there. I was very pleasantly surprised by both. Chateau on the Lake has the look and feel of a Fairmont property. Rooms were a good size, though maybe a little dark. I enjoyed dining at all of their restaurant options...though their lattes were terrible. The fried avocado sticks and the bar snack mix with wasabi peas were both delicious and memorable. They have a great spa on site and one of the top ranked public golf courses in the country nearby. For adults, Branson offers an amazing amount of live shows for very reasonable prices, and the Titanic Museum is a must see. I was very impressed with the options Branson offers for families with children of all ages. From out door activities involving the lake, hiking, horseback riding, etc., to year round options like the waterpark, Ripleys, Butterfly Palace, Wax Museum and more. Seems like a great alternative to the theme park vacations. If you are traveling to Branson, then the Chateau is definitely the nice hotel in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lady_di0809
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
As hard as Branson has tried to shed the hillbilly, honky tonk, blue hair image, many of our visitors still have that perception until they get here and find out differently. Branson is no longer like Grandpa's Buick!
There is so much to do and see, at very reasonably prices, making it a great value destination.

I appreciate your nice comments about out resort and I will challenge our F&B Director in training our baristas to make a better latte. I am not sure however that ours will ever measure up to the ones made in a Seattle, the latte capital of the world.

Best regards,

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Sitting on top of a hill overlooking Table Rock Lake, Chateau on the Lake stands out in isolated beauty. In fact, it is only a few miles away from the attractions of Branson and Silver Dollar City, if that is what you've come for. But if you want a quiet stay, it's self-contained, with a nice restaurant, swimming pools and spa. And just drive across the dam for a pleasant walk in a state park.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
chateauonthelake, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
We always appreciate our guests taking the time to share with us their Chateau experiences, for guest feedback is of paramount importance to us. Thank you for the kind words you had to say about the resort and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We love staying here on our vacations! A very nice hotel overlooking the lake. The restraunt is very nice and the food is great. Always have a great stay here. The hotel staff was friendly and made us feel at home. We will stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Hoppy9531
As we all know, the best type of advertising is word of mourth recommendation. Thank you for letting others know about your Chateau experience and we look forward to your return visit.

Martinsville, Indiana
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Ok, let me give you some background. I was in Oklahoma City, and would be returning back home to Indiana this weekend. Last spring we stopped by Branson on the way home and thought about doing so again. I stumbled across the COTL and decided to call. The lady who I talked to was very helpful. She stated she would make a note to get me a room on the 10th floor for a better view of the lake and she did as our room was on the10th floor. (Lake front room).

Secondly, I read every single review of this hotel. All 20 pages of them. After reading these reviews and after staying at the COTL this past Saturday night, I got to say some of the reviews are uncalled for. Some I can understand especially concerning any bad service, but some reviews are just nit-picking. You have to realize you are at an expensive hotel. They have expensive costs. One thing that did bother me was there was a common theme people were disappointed with over a 2-3 year period and appeared to never get fixed, and that was the food service area. I kept saying to myself, Stephen appears to be active on this forum, and reads the reviews, but people keep giving the food service and quality bad reviews. How can this not get fixed. (After my experience, I wonder if some were nit-picking).

Now on to my review.

Arrived Saturday night at 5:00pm. Based on all my readings I was going to quantify this place with my own personal experiences while there. We pulled up at the hotel, and of course was greeted by the bell hop. I immediately told him we didn't have much luggage and we were just going to check in real quick. He said ok, and I had to hand over my keys while inside checking in. Check-in went real smooth. A man checked us in, was real professional, and was quick.

We walked back out out and parked the car. We walked back in the hotel and went to our room to dump the luggage. The wife and I decided to walk around and check out the hotel. We walked all around the hotel and I thought about having a quick drink before we got cleaned up for dinner. We went to the lounge which all the bar seating was taken. My wife and I sat at a table and was not sure whether they come to the table or not. So I walked up to the bar to order a drink. (Now I'm giving the place a pass on this) But, no bartender came soon, so I turned around and told the wife, we'd just get some Diet Coke and mix a drink back in the room. Now I didn't stay at the bar a long time, So I can't fault the place for anything here. I do want to say, the lounge layout just didn't click with me. I would liked a bigger bar so many people could sit at it. Make a square bar with TV's on all 4 sides and more people can sit at it. I dunno, the lounge just didn't feel welcome to me for some reason.

Ok, so we decided to get a couple of Diet Cokes at the Coffee shop before we went to our room. This place was incredible with the choice of cakes and desserts. The lady behind the counter was extremely nice and provided great service. We headed back to the room and had a drink before dinner.

Ok, We didn't want to spend a ton of money at the Grille, so we decided to go to the other restaurant which was a tad more lower priced. Plus, we wanted to sit in the atrium with a view while dining. I thought eating out on the atrium was a great idea. I told the person seating us I wanted to sit at a table with a good view, which she accommodated. Josh, was our waiter, and took our drink and appetizer order quickly. It did take a tad amount of time to get the drinks, and when they came the beer wasn't very cold. I told Josh, I wanted him to know the beer wasn't very cold, and ordered another beer. He said he knew what to do and would make the next beer colder. Indeed he did. The second beer was very cold. I don't know if he frosted the glass or what but the beer was much colder. Even the wife thought her first beer was not very cold.

For the appetizer, we had the avocado fries which I had read in a review were good. They lived up to the previous review. They were awesome. We then ordered the Haddock fish and were delivered to us in 11 minutes from the time we ordered to being delivered to out table. The Fish was very good, along with the cole slaw, and fries. I would like to have had more cole slaw, but it is what it is.

Josh should be commended for his service. At times, he was 1/2 running back and forth. It almost appeared they were short staffed. I looked around if this was the case, but I had mixed emotions whether they were or not. Sometimes waiters like to be more busy with more tips, then not as busy with less tips. Other staff were delivering food and clearing tables so it appeared to be worked out. Overall, I would say our dining experience was two thumbs up. I was concerned about this after reading the reviews. This was a common theme in the reviews about the dinning experience at the COTL.

Now the room. Incredible, just incredible. I could not find one fault in the room. Extremely upscale and comfy. The TV sound in the bathroom was cool. Go an extra step and put a TV in the bathroom. This would definitely make a mark with your hotel providing this service. I have a TV in my bathroom at home and enjoy this. The bed was too soft for me. Some might like that, but I like hard beds. The bathroom and the room was especially spacious.

In summary, I loved the place. I already want to come back, more so when it's warm so I can enjoy the facilities better. I hope this review help some in people with their decision whether or not to stay here. This is a very nice hotel. They have expensive costs in maintaining this hotel. I understand the prices. Don't like it, but heck I'm staying at a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Lake front room was good. We were real high up on the 10th floor. I think a room would be good abo...
1 Thank jeffhedges
Dear Jeff:

Wow, you really put a lot of thought and effort in to the writing of your review. I am here to say, a big thank you and more so, for stating your opinion as you saw it and as you experienced the Chateau.

What I preach to my management team over and over again, is that the expectations of our Chateau guests are high to begin with and in order to meet if not exceed them all the time, it requires our A+ game, 24/7, 365 days in the year. Unfortunately our team may have a bad day/night like all teams do and not perform to their potential.

The food service business at best is fickle. So many things can go wrong in the preparation of a dish. It is akin to an artist and their work. In art is all about ones interpretation and visual sense. In food, it is about the visual too, the presentation, however more importantly, in the taste. With that said, what each of us sees and what we taste, is all different.

Please come back and visit us soon.

Centereach, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We went to Chateau on the Lake for a home school leadership conference. From the minute we stepped foot on the property until we left it was a great experience. From the beginning....
when you check in the doorman are terrific, with a great attitude, willing to help with initial questions. The rroms are large enough and decorated with class, but what will blow you away is the balcony and the view from your room. The river and the sunsets are stunning. Well, all bags to the room, then I am off to the concierge for show tickets! She was absolutely great, weeding through our preferences and in a minute Sight and Sound and now off to view the property, The center couryard is stunning with magnificent waterfalls and many places to simply sit and relax. Now to food. The breakfast buffet is terrific. Service help great, views unbelievable. I will try to upload some pictures. Overall attitude of all staff fantastic....and this coming from a New Yorker......Also, do not miss Silver Dollar City....and the Branson Belle.....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dadsheart5
Thank you for your kind words about the resort and our associates. Yes indeed, the Ozarks is a special place and I am so pleased to learn that during your stay, you saw a slice of the beauty, she has to offer. Like you, I once lived and worked in the big cities. Fourteen years ago, I moved to Branson and made it our home. To this day, I never take for granted the beauty that surrounds me.