“AMAZING”

Ranked #17 of 140 Hotels in Branson
Saint Louis, Missouri
“AMAZING”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We went for 4 nights in December. The place was completely decked out for the Holidays.We stayed on the 9th floor overlooking the entire lake. It was just amazing. Everything about this place exceed my expectations. They were extremely welcoming. At night they would put out hot apple cider which my boyfriend just LOVED. It was our anniversary, so they ended up sending chocolate covered strawberries,and a card with a Christmas ornament to our room. Our room was very spacious. We had a sitting area with a pull out bed and king size bed. The bathroom was very spacious as well. Very clean. The candy shop has yummy candy, ice cream, pastries, coffee...the ladies who ran it were very nice. I really have nothing bad to say about this place. It was kind of quiet due to the time of year that we went, however that was our intention. We wanted a nice relaxing getaway. I got a Living Social deal online for a lakefront king size room. We did not pay what a normal stay would be.I actually don't know the actual amount for our room, but regardless, it was still a great resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a room to attend a Christmas party with a friend. I received a special rate due to the party. I felt it was a great value ... but after seeing the place, I was certain and very pleased. Everything was clean and well maintained. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The bed was comfy. The pet fee was reasonable. I found all the fees and charges to be in line with other hotels of this caliber. Parking is plentiful and free (valet available). The vending machine prices were even reasonable. :) I'd definitely stay here again in a heartbeat - and highly recommend you visit the spa!

• Stayed December 2013
Kansas City
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect, not an inexpensive stay.
Great room & great view !
Our room had a "living room" area and a bedroom.
Larger than a regular room, we had a king-size bed and there was a sleeper sofa.
Upscale furnishings, kind of a French style, not gaudy though.
The view of Table Rock at sunset was amazing !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 December 2013

If money was no object I would spend my time traveling. I am not poor, but I am also not wealthy by any means. Money will most likely always factor into my decisions for the rest of my life, barring some extraordinary luck. That being said, I still like to experience the "finer things" in life from time to time. We should all be able to if only to be able to escape and reset ourselves.

Regarding the Chateau on the Lake, after this visit, I may be finished with upper echelon hotels for a while. The aesthetics and surroundings that come with four+ diamonds are nice, but sometimes the lack of value is very off-putting. Put a mini-fridge and microwave in your rooms (at $200+ a night I think you can manage). Give people a free bottle of water. When I checked in, they had a 1 liter bottle of Nestle water with a collar on it. I failed to notice the little $3 printed on the collar in a tiny little font, and cracked it open. My fiance remarked, "you know your drinking a $3 bottle of water right?" I said "What!?" Whoops! It's the little things that add up and ultimately leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I made the reservation for a couple of nights as a Thanksgiving getaway for my fiance and me since we would not be able to travel to MS or SC to see family. I also reserved the Chateau's Thanksgiving Buffet, which was $48 per person. The buffet was very nice. They had just about any food you could want, and we ate very well. The service was average as I had to wait for unreasonable amounts of time for refills and to order dessert coffee. I was actually okay with that though because having slightly less service on the floor than may have been needed hopefully secured more overall tips for the wait staff who were working on Thanksgiving instead of spending time with their families. Let's hope the "upper crust" are good tippers. Anyway, $48 per person is slightly unreasonable in my opinion, but based on the crowds people will pay it so capitalism ultimately wins out. That doesn't make it right though.

We stayed in a "lakefront king" room, which is spacious and nicely appointed. The room has a nice seating area and overlooks Tablerock Lake. The balcony rooms were full so we had a window on the third floor. The mattress needed to be replaced in my opinion. You would expect a nice pillow top in a room like this, but we just got worn out springs. The pillows were nice though. They didn't have those horrible feather pillows that flatten out immediately. They had nicely plump fiber fill pillows, which may be less expensive, but are ultimately much more comfortable because they hold their shape. The TV was of adequate size (37-40"), but the cable feed kept cutting out. On the HD channels, the feed would black out, the sound would cut out, and sometimes 1/3 of the screen would just start flickering with weird colors and shapes. We had to keep changing the channel and turning off the TV, which was very annoying. I think they have free wi-fi for guests, but there was a confusing sign on the desk that said something about 2 MB and 4 MB with corresponding prices. I'm not sure what that was about because it didn't appear that there was a wired option, and if wi-fi is free to guests, why the price list??? Our devices (phones and a tablet) recognized the wi-fi, but they would not connect. I called customer service, and they forwarded the call to the tech support center for the internet. He needed to know where I was and what hotel I was at so I guess they contract that out. After he checked some things and confirmed the signals were active, he eventually told us that we could likely connect easier if we were closer to the door. Yes, that's right. He actually suggested we go stand by the door, which is basically a hallway. I wanted to laugh at him, but I knew it was not his fault. The hotel needs to beef up their signals so that they have complete coverage in their rooms.

Now, the coffee thing. I have never been a fan of the coffee they leave in the rooms for you to make. Who knows how clean the machine is? The coffee is never of good quality, and the creamer and sweetener packets are always crappy. Many many hotels I have stayed at have free fresh coffee in the lobby, and many of them have free breakfast foods as well (shocking I know). I like to go down to the lobby early in the morning and chat with guests and just peruse the scene. Instead, the Chateau has a little ice cream/coffee shop just past the elevators that has ridiculous prices. Just a 12 oz regular brewed coffee was like $2.70. Of course, it was some fancy French roast whatever, but I would have gladly given them $1 for a $0.50 Newman's Own K-cup, which is markedly tastier. I didn't even look at the breakfast menu in their restaurant because the dinner prices were insane ($25-50) so I figured a mediocre breakfast was probably gonna run $15. Again, it's the little things. Being able to enjoy a nice cup of coffee without waiting in a line and getting robbed should not be too much to ask.

So, overall, the experience was nice. The hotel is pretty, and has a great location. It is immaculately kept. I interacted with the staff on a very limited basis, but they were very professional and courteous. However, all that being said, the hotel needs to understand that not all of their guests will be rich. Their guests will still appreciate value, and they will recognize when an entire infrastructure is built and implemented for the sole purpose of extracting as much money out of every guest as possible. That rubs good people the wrong way. It might make superficial people feel like they are experiencing something that will make their friends envious, but that is not something that motivates me at all in life.

I have to be completely honest here. After a couple of nights in the area, I am not a fan of Branson. I had a pretty good idea that was going to be the case. It is just way too touristy. The little downtown area by the river is kinda cool, but not enough of a draw to get me to drive from St. Louis again. To be honest we had high hopes that the hotel was going to be the best part of our stay. Sadly, I guess it was, along with the natural beauty of the area. However, if we ever find ourselves in the area again, we will not be staying at the Chateau on the Lake.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ChateGM, General Manager at Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Benny231:

Your very detailed review of the Chateau is much appreciated. Your critique will serve as way for us to improve both our product and services. Since your last stay, our internet services throughout our public areas and guestrooms have been fully upgraded and bandwidth increased. We are constantly improving both our product and services in order to meet the demands of our guests and their expectations. Hopefully if you do change your mind and your travels bring you to the Branson area in the future. You will give us the opportunity to be of service to you once again.

Stephen Marshall
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a nice hotel with the staff being both friendly and helpful. The hotel has an excellent view of the lake. While not the cheapest place in the Branson area it was nice to get away from the traffic.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Brandon, Mississippi
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The Chateau has become one of our favorite places to vacation, love, laugh, and relax. The hotel is as good as it gets on this side of Heaven. The staff are very knowledgeable and courteous. We have never had better service in the many places we have visited. The food is outstanding. The rooms are exceptional. If you need relaxation and restoration, the Chateau is where you need to go. My wife and I hope to return in 2015. Thank you Chateau. Thank you Branson for an unforgettable vacation.

Room Tip: Book your trip at least 3 months ahead of your visit. Ask for a room facing the lake. All rooms...